Ferrari 458 vs Ducati 1198S | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 vs Ducati 1198S

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by bardeagrle, Nov 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bardeagrle

bardeagrle Rookie

Nov 29, 2010
  2. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    I would have been interesting as a conclusion and to illustrate their closing comments if they'd have put mere mortals in charge of each machine to see how the lap times compare. I suspect the result would have been quite different.

3. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    agreed. Great video though. I'd say the disparity between Steve Rapp on the 1198s and a mere mortal, and Justin Bell in the 458 and a mere mortal is MUCH greater. No disrespect to Mr. Bell intended. Would be an interesting comparison to see more average guys competing.
    For their purposes, I understand picking fabulous drivers.
    The Ducati deserves respect.

4. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You just aren't going to beat a bike with a power-to-weight ratio like that; it's basically like riding a JATO pack with wheels!

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The sentance can stop right here. Most bikes are faster than almost any road-able car. Production litre bikes have been in the low 10 second range for the 1/4 mile for nearly a decade (with the occasional high 9's.)

6. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Car & Driver did a test like this years ago: Dodge Viper GTS vs. 1000cc Suzuki or Yamaha. The car won on the track if I recall. I'll have to look that one up.

MDS

7. Ice9

Ice9 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Ice9
    Not true 100% of the time because there are 2 variables: the vehicle and the driver. That's why folks are asking for a test with "mere mortals".

8. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Contiunes to prove that the 458 rules the world of CARS!!! God I love Ferarri :)

9. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Nice video.

But you need to put both the bike and the car on the track at the same time, like Tiff Needell did with a Gallardo Superleggera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZKRphfVHqI
    (fast forward to 3:00)

If anything, it's for more drama!

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Bike will on a drag strip, but car will win on a circuit. Cars are always faster around corners, well decent cars.

The real comparison has already been done, ie: F1 versus MotoGP. F1 cars are something like 30 seconds a lap faster.
    Pete

11. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka

Found it - Car & Driver (December 1996)

Viper GTS vs. Yamaha 1000 YZF1000R - they tested both on Willow Springs Raceway

Time for Viper was 1:33.8 and the bike was 1:36.3.

"Fun" article to read, nonetheless. Coincedentally, this issue was also the first road test of the Ferrari 550.

MDs

12. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Did you watch the video?

13. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    The 458 would win hands down without professional drivers/riders. Takes alot to ride that bike to speed. Not much skill to drive the 458 with all the electronic aids. I best there would be at least a 10 sec difference

14. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Maybe that's the answer. Maybe all these car v bike things should be run twice - once with pros to demonstrate the ultimate potential of each machine (and much respect due to the bike in this video) and then with pretty decent part timers to illustrate the outcome that most of us, however handy we fancy ourselves to be, would experience.

15. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    That's the catch right there, professional drivers/riders vs the run of the mill guys like myself.

I know if i ever owned either one of these machines that I would probably be wiping my ass silly from the fear of trying to get that crazy type of performance out of such machinery, and that's another thing to, not ever car/bike are made the same.

The video is great to say the least, but at the end of the day its pure entertainment done very well.

16. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Great first post dude!

I have both race cars and bikes at the track and everyone is absolutely correct that it is easier for mere mortals to come closer to greatness on 4 wheels than 2. I love a race bike but am more than happy to lose boatloads of time under braking to keep my collarbones in one piece. To be specific I am 15 seconds off the pace on my bike and 3 seconds off the pace in my Formula Renault on my "home track" - both times measured against top pros in same machinery

17. Art's 430

Art's 430 Rookie

Apr 1, 2009
    IL
    Full Name:
    Arthur
    I love this video. 11.1 quarter is pretty respectful.
    I love owning one of the greatest supercar.

18. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Excellent numbers there as an illustration of the difference between these tests and the real world that most of us inhabit.

19. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, I was just about to post this video!

I thoroughly enjoyed it for an internet car vid. The comparo itself was a little predictable, but I like how they went about it. Entertaining at the least.

Saying the Italia is the best supercar is pretty bold, and something I have to pat them on the back for.

I'd be curious to see how these two would do in the hands of your avg. owners/enthusiasts.
    My feeling are that the rider would be to nervous to push the bike as hard, but the Ferrari would be more than capable on an amateur track-day against it.

_J

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No I can't watch YouTube videos at work.

But if the bike won on a circuit then the car was not being driven properly. 4 tyre patches versus 2 makes cornering speed a lot faster and that is where a lap time comes from.
    Pete

21. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

in your scenario, the car always wins as the bike simply is short on rubber. braking and cornering goes to the car however straight line speed goes to the scoot.

pcb

22. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Ummm the car was being driven properly by a GT2 champion driver...

You really need to watch the video before assuming the role of Captain Obvious and reminding us of generalities

23. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    #23 Lesia44, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
    As DM18 points out, the car was being driven properly by a GT2 champion driver. Very propperly, in fact. Not to mention Tiff Needell (again, driving the crap out of the car) losing out to a Ducatti while at the wheel of a Gallardo Superleggera.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well then I have to concede that motorcycle performance has improved considerably in a very short time or the Ferrari F430 sncks.

As mikesufka pointed out only 14 years ago a poor handling Viper beat an equivalent bike by 8 seconds a lap.
    Pete

25. VanCooper

VanCooper Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2002
    Ok, at first I thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt on that one, but 30 seconds?!?!

Find me the proof that an F1 is 30 seconds faster around the SAME track as a full blown MotoGP and I will believe you. (both by professional driver/riders)