the love/hate seesaw | FerrariChat

the love/hate seesaw

Discussion in '348/355' started by taggart1974, Dec 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. taggart1974

taggart1974 Rookie

Apr 16, 2010
    ahhhhh!!! so i'm mid project, (1990 348ts), 5 months of no driving so having installed the new black leather/alcantara with red stitchin panels and dash i decided to slap an old seat in (i'm still waiting for the recovered 355 ones to be done) and take her for a blast to blow off the cobwebs. (don't worry, all fluids also replaced) connected the new battery, started her up and reset the ecu, all seemed good so into 1st and off i went, made it 3 feet on to the highway and she died (much to the bemusement of the other motorists!!) currently abandoned awaiting daylight for further inspection. i knew 20 year old italian women are supposed to be fiery and unpredictable but this is too much!! large beer currently in hand.

2. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #2 Saint Bastage, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    Standing on the side of the road in the dark next to a broken Ferrari drinking a large beer....Dude, I'm gonna need a photo of that. I'm sure all the other motorists are not bemused but rather suspicious. I'd expect a visit from some official looking people soon. Get out some dark sunglasses now. That way your ready for there bright lights and it will surely complete the look.

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Does the engine still crank over, but no start? This will hopefully turn out to be something minor, but if the engine sounds like it's spinning over significantly faster than usual, then you've lost the timing belt and you're in trouble.

Not out of gas, for sure?

Alarm/immobilizer system kicked in?

4. taggart1974

taggart1974 Rookie

Apr 16, 2010
    its electrical for sure, just strange how she was running fine then suddenly died?! but a bit above my average skill level, engineer where i work will have a look tomorrow. did as many electrical connections as i could see with marine electrical grease last week so i'm lost.new battery is ok so can't be that. all i wanted was 30 mins of driving pleasure after 5 months of staring at her just sitting there, was it too much to ask, luckily i'm very patient and have a good sense of humour. results to follow.maybe they should get the italians to design the cars and the germans to build them, ha ha...

5. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    They did, Gallardo.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, hope everything works out.

6. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Most of the time when I see a vehicle that shuts off all together while running, it's because one of the two main battery cables has come loose. (I wrench on motorcycles for a living)

Much of the time, the thing that breaks is the last thing you touched. Both of these things point at the main battery cables. Could be something else, but that's where I'd start.

Good luck. Hope you get back on the "love" side of the seesaw soon.

7. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    Check your alternator.

8. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    +1: An easy thing to check is if your car has battery cable quick-disconnects or "bullet connectors" under the air filter box. A lot of 348s have these, while some don't. And some 348s have had these cables replaced with solid cables to eliminate these connectors. Best of luck!

9. taggart1974

taggart1974 Rookie

Apr 16, 2010
    put the multimeter on the battery this morning and it is dead (11.3 volts)!!, there was no warning light which is strange but it was obviously not being charged. will get her back home and investigate further, i suspect the alternator. i believe there is an updated unit on later models, anyone have the part number. think i will take the oppertunity to replace the leads to and do away with the under airbox connector. thanks again for all the help guys.

10. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Wrong direction with the grease!

I would bet Paul and Rick are spot on.

11. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    The "updated unit" for replacing the Delco alternator in a 1990 348 costs several thousand dollars. It's a Nippondenso alternator and a kit that includes a new mounting bracket, a new wiring harness, a new belt, and a new heat shield (I think). There is no reason that a properly repaired Delco alternator should not give satisfactory service for many years, and the parts to rebuild the Delco alternator are regularly stocked at any alt shop.

But don't condemn the alternator until you're sure the wiring is OK and the belt is properly tensioned.

12. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Hate to revive an old thread but I just rebuilt my alternator on my 348 and it's missing the infamous heat shield.

Any stooge ways of addressing this or any sources where I can buy this?

Thanks,

Kai

13. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Heat shield? It's supposed to have a heat shield? Nobody told me! Maybe I need one too.

14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

This shield?

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=203106

I know I have at least one in stock. It is an odd shape --- and I think it is more designed to funnel cold air into the alternator than actually be a heat shield.

Or, are you referring to the slatted undertray piece that also covers the A/C (runs laterally at the front of the engine) ?

15. MaterMech

MaterMech Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    Los Gatos CA
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    Are you talking about the heat shield that goes above the Delco unit? The ND alternators did not have that.

16. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Yes. The ND doesn't need it?

Kai