348 Issues | FerrariChat

348 Issues

Discussion in '348/355' started by GOB, Sep 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GOB

GOB Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Panama
    Full Name:
    Gus
    I am seriously considering getting a 348 from Martin and wanted to make sure I have all the bases covered regarding this model. If I have missed anything, please let me know:

Motronic: 2.7 are more reliable than the 2.5 versions, but since the car I am looking at has an upgraded Challenge ECU, then should be no problem? Never heard of the Challenge ECU before.

Wider track: the wider the better! This one has the Speciale rear track (subframe?) configuration, so the handling should not be as tricky as others claim.

Cats: many say to remove them to avoid potential fire hazards. I know environmentalist will scream, but this car in particularly has punched cats.

Clutch: my understanding is that the single plate are more reliable and better overall. This car is a double clutch with metallic plate, so not much to do, but wait for it to become an issue later on.

Alternator: the AC Delco ones are as good as boat anchors for cars. This one has the upgraded Nippodenso unit, so that is about as good as it will get.

Wheels: many say that putting light wheels, especially 18"s make the car handle a lot better than stock. This car has the Challenge Speedline rims on it.

Interior: apparently 348s are known for interiors that do not hold up well with time. This car is no exception and since it has been extensively modified, well, lets just say its not concours edition.

Second gear: I have read that 348s have issues when the cars are cold and shifting into second gear can be a challenge. Apparently this has to do somewhat with alignment of the shifter cables and the use of Redline can help a bit.

Overall the cars are more reliable than what others make it to be and give it a bad rap, hence the lower price on them. There is an infinite battle as to whether or not is better than a 328 or if the premium to a 355 is worth it. I actually like the way it looks, and for the performance, I believe it cannot be beat, taking into account price. And yes, get a PPI no matter what before buying.

Am I correct, or am I missing other things? I have spent some time in the archives and this is what I believe to be a very brief summary of the posts I found. Thanks in advance for the replies/comments/suggestions.

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I think you've nailed it, but you might also want to check:

1. Window speed
    2. Rearview mirror motors & switches
    3. A/C -- if your car even has it, check pressures and coldness.

My car has test pipes. The sound is terrific, the ozone hole isn't so nice.

You're driving it home, right? Just kidding...

Martin won't lead you astray. His entire business is built on his reputation and integrity. I've heard his party skills are another issue.

-Daniel

3. GOB

GOB Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Panama
    Full Name:
    Gus
    Thanks Daniel. Really nice to have spoken with you the other day. Martin tells me no electrical gremlins on the car, except for perhaps a burnt foglight lamp. He would take care of it anyways. I have tried to reach Martin to wish him the best of luck with the storm, but no reply. Must be busy taking care of things.

In doing research for 348s, I found out that the car used to belong to a fellow named Byron. Yes,the car has a "history" to it, but I am OK with it. Just want to know as much as possible about this particular car and 348s in general.

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Check your PM

5. jlm348

jlm348 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2002
    Scottsdale + LA
    Full Name:
    Jean-Louis
    Martin is a great guy so you are in great hands.
    My 348 spider has been an absolute dream.
    I would see when the 30K service has been done.
    Second gear is a little tough when the car and oil is cold, but after she warms up there is no problem. I actually shift from 1st to third and it is a very smooth transition when the oil is still cold.

The only repairs that I ahve done to the car other then tires and oil change has been a major service. (gives you piece of mind) and some electrical wires between the door jam had corroded causing the power windows and door lock to go hay wire. (this was a simple under $100.00 fix )

Good luck

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have had my 348 for almost 15 years and it has been mostly a wonderful experience.

I have a few mods...chips, tubi +test pipes, challenge wheels, F40LM/F50 brakes, Serie Specialle spoiler, seats, tail lights.

Essentially 30-40hp and 200 pounds lighter and great stoppers = great car!!

This car that you are looking at as long as it has a good history and has been taken care of should be fine. The upgrades are a great start.

Best of luck..

Ciao
    Dino

7. GOB

GOB Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Panama
    Full Name:
    Gus
    I know this post is a resurection of a bit over six years, but wondering if there has been anything new regarding issues/what to look for on 348s.

In the interim, bought and sold the following toys: BMW MZ3 Coupé, Porsche 996 Carrera 2, Harley V-Rod, Pursuit 3070 Express (boat), and a few other things. Now in the middle of awaiting delivery of my new home and no toys, so thinking that 2011 may bring me some good fortune/luck and I still believe, price into consideration, nothing beats a 348. So... what is the consensus these days?

$32-$40K for a "no issues" car? Price delta to a 355 is $5K? I could read 6+ years worth of posts, but that is not gonna happen....

8. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    I have never heard of a challenge ECU either. I don't believe that ECU mods were allowed under the Challenge format, so not sure what this is. The only difference I have ever heard was for the Competizione ECU which was developed by Michelotto for the GT Competizione (or GTC) and GTC/LM race cars

It sounds like the car you are looking at is pre 1991? Significant changes were made to the cars post 91 including some of the items you have listed above and the relocation of the battery to the front left fender for better weight distribution.

Further changes were made to 1993 cars including a revised air intake manifold, exhaust and camshaft timing for increased power and additional suspension geometry changes for improved handling. These cars were known as the GTB and GTS (as opposed to ts and tb). The spider was also equipped with these modifications

9. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    in the original post there are a few misunderstandings to be addressed.

First, The SS wide track is not generated by a different sub-frame but rather by thicker wheel hubs. That is to say that a thickness equivalent to a "Spacer" was added to the hub generating offset. If you change wheels, your going to need to reconsider this.

Second, the second gear issue is not caused by the cabling and linkage but rather by transmission design. Its a common occurrence across many Ferrari models. The RedLine oil does offer a reprieve from the worst of it however the condition remains until your gearbox is properly warmed up or you shift above 4000RPM.

10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #10 NeuroBeaker, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

Advance Disclaimer For The Post Below: Please take my next comments with a huge pinch of salt, because I am not a 348 owner yet and nor have I ever driven a Ferrari. I am, however, an aspiring 348 owner and thus I read about the car with a passionate interest.

I recall reading amongst some of the Brotherhood's postings that the reason some 348s can have tricky handling is often down to worn suspension bushes that have never been changed or wheel alignments that have not been redone since new. It sounds like it is a car that is very sensitive to very small discrepancies in their maintenance condition and set up. Here's one example of a thread discussing the stability of a 348 at speed:

Many of the Brotherhood report that their cars with healthy suspension bushes and recent alignments are rock steady to drive at speed and the handling makes the car a joy to drive. I'm sure if you do a few searches, you will uncover more threads like this. Happy reading. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    I'm sorry does this refer to me?

12. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #12 NeuroBeaker, Dec 19, 2010
    No, no, no - it refers to me!

I, Andrew, am not yet a 348 owner and nor have I ever driven a Ferrari. However, I hope to have a 348 of my own someday. The disclaimer was a foreword to my own post, indicating that although I thought I could help on a particular issue that I am not speaking from personal experience, but drawing on the prior posts of others that I have read here on FChat.

Sorry if that was confusing. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

PS:
    I have since edited that post above to hopefully remove confusion for the next reader. :)

13. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    #13 Dazzling, Dec 19, 2010
    No foul no harm Andrew, you have good taste, the 348 is a great car (much better than a fourtwo of which I own also!!) and getting quite affordable in your neck of the words

14. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks Darren. :)

Oh, by the way, don't drive your FourTwo in deep snow (if you have any your way at the moment). When I did this with mine, it knocked the seals off my front wheel bearings, and worked road salt into them - destroying the bearings. Now I need two new ones... :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Fortunately no snow over here, but a great car to take into the city....I can park anywhere!!

16. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    You guys need a timeout for resurrecting this thread...

17. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It was resurrected by the OP - that makes it ok. ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.

18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    While I agree that the track was increased as you describe, the rear sub-frame is different as the upper A-arm pick-up point location was changed (to the same position it held in the F355 sub-frame.) {This altered rear sub-frame continues on with the 348s after the SS.}

19. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    www.stickynomore.com

Redline 75W90NS - although this won't solve it completely, it will improve it considerably...and as Saint Bastage stated, once it is wam it will shift like a knife through butter.

For a good read, to do www.my348.com

20. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Hmm...New information...I wasn't aware of that.

21. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Same here, thanks for that info Mitch.