Innova, Actron or other OBD2 Scanner | FerrariChat

Innova, Actron or other OBD2 Scanner

Discussion in '348/355' started by yelcab, Jan 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Hi

I am looking for an OBD2 scanner that can read live-data (with engine running) for trouble shooting purposes. I am too poor to afford the SD2 from Ferrari. Has anybody found a decent one (<$500) that works?

The innova 3100/3200 series did not talk to the car in engine running mode (even though it is designed to). The Innova tech thinks it is Ferrari locking them out.

M

2. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
  3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    What car? My AutoXray 6000 works just fine for OBDII stuff on 96 and newer cars.

Some 355s are missing a ground in the underdash connector that causes a problem with aftermarket scanners.

There are threads devoted to fixing the problem. It involves adding a terminal and I believe Ferrari supplied a kit for it.

I've never encountered a car that didn't talk to the scan tool.

4. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #4 Loser, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The ground cable is there on pin 4 and 5. The Innova talks to the car only when engine is not running. WHen it runs, the comm link drops off and cannot reconnect.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Tom

Before I launch down this path, can you confirm that you 355 will talk easily with this tool while the car is running (I can see the graphs).

7. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes, the 355 talks easily with this tool. With the bluetooth or wifi version, you can just leave it plugged in since there are no cables hanging down. There are some apps that can run on smart phones that will read the data, so you can monitor it real time while you are driving. You can also use the ScanXL software package on your PC for more in depth data collection and analysis. The graph that I attached was captured on my laptop.