How to clone immobilizer data (& recover pin) | FerrariChat

How to clone immobilizer data (& recover pin)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 360trev, Jan 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #1 360trev, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After the success of the 'how to clone a fob' thread (which I read today) I have decided to kick off a thread about doing its counter-part, the immobilizer clone. This way you'll never get ransomed ever again to recover your pin code or have to buy an over priced replacement when it dies.

Ok, here goes... Lets get start.

Firstly, some quick & basic background (stating the obvious), the immobilizer itself stores the other side of the equation to the key fob, i.e. the pin and the learned information about the fobs it will accept. This allows the recieved signal (once approved) to send a CAN (Controlled Area Network) bus message over to the Bosch Ignition computers to activate the fuel pump and permit starting of the engine if the pairing information in the Ignition computers also matches. Yes, the ignition computers are also paired to the immobilizer too.

So, Lets get the scarey stuff out of the way first. (What some owners don't know... head in the sand?)

1. By definition, if someone has physical access to your car they can basically override the immobilizer because Bosch Immobilizer has been cracked a long time ago. Sadly there already exists software for the Bosch Ignition computers called 'ImmoKiller' available on the web which can patch the original firmware software to ignore the immobilizer.

Rather concerningly (for worried owners) due to simple, non secure ignition ecu upgrade method used anyone who patches the ignition firmware in this way can without worry simply upload it via OBD-II port without any additional security checks (once they simply update the firmware checksums).

Q. What does this mean? Well it means all someone needs is a pre-patched Bosch ME7.3 ignition software file, access to the OBD-II and a couple of minutes connected to a laptop to completely bypass the immobilizer circuit and hence start the vehicle. Yes, very bad.

Q. Is there a counter defence? Sort of, either fit another aftermarket immobilizer (or even fit a phyiscal switch hidden somewhere to isolate the ignition) or buy another (dummy) obd-ii port wiring loom and locate it in the original place, then re-locate/hide your (working) obd-ii port away in a stealthy safe place to stop this kind of attack working.

---
    Ok so lets start to examine the vehicle immobilizer circuit ecu's (There are 2), the first one responsible for recieving the signal from the key fobs (at least on the 360 anyway). It is part no. 168508. Again unsurprisingly is from Bosch. These all have a unique serial number burned into them which is used as part of the 'pairing' of key fobs.

After removing the 3 screws from the back of the board, a quick look at the board reveals a Motorola MC68HC705B16 (read the datasheet, its a full on microcontroller with rom and ram but it also contains eeprom storage too) which I'm guessing is where they PIN and pairing information is stored alone with an immobilizer unique serial number.

Unsurprisingly just like we've already been doing on the fobs themselves you can read the eeprom data straight out of it with an appropriate reader.

Here's one ($130 usd unit) http://auobd2.com/motorola-mc68hc05-eeprom-programmer-89.html

The blurb about it, "The MC68HC705B16 programmer supports programming of Motorola 68HC05Bxx, 68HC05Xxx microcontrollers internal EEPROM - most used programmable device in car radios, automotive computers (dashboards, AIRBAG, immobilizers).
    A parallel port interface (LPT1, LPT2) connects the programmer to any desktop PC running DOS or Windows systems. The four jumpers located on the programmer board are intended for device type selection. Smart firmware controls all read/program operations so access to device can be establish even if device secured. Default settings permit to read and write Motorola MCU internal EEPROM without processor structure knowledge. The Device Menu displays all available functions to perform on the device (read, program, verify, program security, etc...). A full screen editor is provided to view or edit any address of the programming buffer in binary or ASCII formats.".

Seems like the bundled software also allows modifying of the eeprom too so I'm guessing it can be used to locate the PIN, change it and write it back out.

I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to pursue this (theoretical discussion) further.
    Suffice to say (until proved otherwise) I am not very impressed with the security (or lack of it) of the immobilizer circuit. I expected secure flash and one time re-programmable chips. Not so...

Come on Eric355, Gobbler or anyone else with a soldering fettish. go to work! ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    Well done Trev,

I did try saying last week it should be possible to read the ECU for it!

Regards,
    Phil.

3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Phil, this is just the first tentative steps towards a solution. I'm convinced with some of the knowledge on here we could do an open source, low cost alternative to an SDx. Also possible to remap the 355's original gearbox tcu to CS speeds, etc.... So many possibilities...

4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Just another point worth mentioning about this alarm/immobilizer 'reciever'. Its linked back to the keyfob so they are indeed having the same issue with US vs Euro frequencies. Make sure you have one thats compatible with the transmit frequencies used by your fobs.

The other thing to point out about this backup/restore mechanism is that it actually the identical immobilizer across quite a few models.

1. 360 Challenge Stradale,
    2. 360 Modena,
    3. 360 Spider

4. 456 M GT,
    5. 456 M GTA

6. 550 Maranello,
    7. 575 Superamerica,
    8. 575M Maranello

5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
  6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Don't know if the obd2 tools to do the immo are generic or car model specific. Even the immokiller software shows specific car models and I don't think list any ferraris. But I guess in essence your idea is sound and easy to defeat by someone like Eric355 with the knowledge and the tools. Your idea is much better than cloning FOBs. Cloning FOBs is like taking asprin for a headache instead of treating the cause of the headache. I'm sure the answer is simple. Let us know if you figure it out.

7. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Oh baby... :)

8. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Has anyone figured out how to retrieve the pin code if you have the red fob but no PIN code?

Thanks

9. stevi

stevi Rookie

Mar 12, 2013
    Jhb South Africa
    Full Name:
    Steve levin
    Ok so where do i begin , i recently got another 360 spider (no keys or remotes) , been reading the posts made by 360trev and Eric355 ,and started to put these methods in to practice .First i tried to remove the Immo from the Bosch me7.3h4 control units using those Immo tools i found on the net . NO LUCK !!!! So then i began looking at the challenge race cars, believe it or not they are pretty popular here in South Africa ,so i went down to one race shop that looks after a couple of them to take a look .Seeing as i know the guy pretty well, i explained to him what a was trying to do and he let me poke around with one challenge car .they still have there immobiliser boxs in them but it doesn't require you to push any remote . So i asked if i could clone them ,they didnt look to impressed but i got him to agree as long as (you break ,you pay) principal was applied. Anyway after buying an xprog -m programmer ,about $50 worth) i realized that my Immo box has a different mcu in it ,the boards are identical so ill go to the local electronic shop tomorrow and see if i can order it , and hopefully ill be able to start it (with out a remote )!

Ill report back in a couple of days .
    Below are a few pics of the process so far

10. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Stevi,

Hi, I am also trying to solve a similar issue, I have a challenge car. It also has an immobilizer. No keys but an immobilizer. Thank you Ferrari! Now 13 years later the immobilizer fails sometimes. Usually shut down, reset gets her going again, but it seems to occur with greater frequency. For myself and other Challenge owners, this is bad. The immo servers no purpose on a car that starts with a flick of a switch and push button. I have also tried 2 internet downloads to patch the software. No joy. I have both the eeprom data and the maps for 1. 360 Challenge car and 2. EU 360, I will get a U.S. Car in a few days.

Not sure how to proceed from here, my goal is removal of the immo- I would even run us or eu street car software if I could patch either of those versions.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Steve- You need to contact the guys in Australia who have figured out how to pull the PIN from both the Alarm ECU and the red fob. See the other fob clone thread for contact info. They can provide fobs to match your PIN.

You can buy a new ignition, lock and key set with 2 ignition keys for around $500 most days on the internet. Or a good locksmith can make a key for you. A very good locksmith.

12. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    I would love to see if the immobilizer can be permanently defeated and the remotes only lock and unlock the doors. Security is not a concern for my particular situation. Reliability long term is a bigger concern.

2NA likes this.
  13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You and the other 1000 F355 owners.

2NA likes this.
  14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    With the help of your awesome PIN out, Mitch.... I'll be trying this over the winter.

15. reytech

reytech Rookie

Oct 6, 2008
    Baltimore
    Full Name:
    Rey
    I have a quick question; I have a 2003 360 F1, in which I have to replace the ignition control module, if I get a set of second hand units (ECU’s) how do I make it works so the immobilizer and new ECU pair and permit me to start the engine?

16. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    reytech,

I was just testing that.

I just flashed a EU ECU with my Challenge ECU software and will change over to make sure it works. I had a mechanical failure at the track so I haven't gotten the car back yet and am not 100% sure it works.

But, the ECU on the passengers side is the one which communicates with the immobilizer, so it must "match up". The ECU software (Bank1& Bank0) are identical. As long as you have one functioning ECU, you can copy the working ECU's software & EEPROM. Then flash a third ECU with that software and it should work as a replacement for either side. The one I did is exactly the same as the original Challenge ECU down to the bit, it should work, i.e. the immobilizer should not be able to detect any difference in the ECU's.

I do not know if the year (i.e. Ferrari part#) contain any hardware differences, they all appear to be the same but I don't know that. It is not very difficult. You will need a test bench - the flashing must happen with the ECU's out of the car on a test bench using a Galletto tool. Please read this:

http://www.***********.com/forums/modern-v8s-360-f430/19714-how-bench-flash-your-3.html

And send 360Trev a thank you, he did all the work.

Looks like your in Baltimore - I'm near Allentown PA, I would do it for you just for fun. I also may have a way to remove the immobilizer completely but also have not yet tested that.

How do you know the ECU is bad?

17. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    search google for "how to bench flash a Ferrari 360 ecu" to get to the link that was blocked above

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rey- If you get a used set of two, one of the Motronic ECUs should be a virgin without the Alarm PIN stored in the the ECU. You might have to swap them to find out which is which. If you are only getting one, you can take your left (port) ECU and put it on the right (starboard) side and it should work fine.

Alternatively, someone would need to know how to clear that PIN out of a Motronic ECU, and I am not sure anybody knows how to do that yet. Or follow RMJ's advice.

19. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Hello all,

I found something interesting during testing. Hope this helps understand the interaction between the ECU & IMMO. As Taz stated I am not sure how to clear a PIN but may have found one, or at least the effect of the pin's interaction with the ECU.

After flashing my Challenge car Right side software - both EEPROM & ecu data - to a random ecu I purchased on Ebay, I attempted to start my car. No go when used on the right side - worked on the left side.

I then downloaded the software back and did a comparison of the files. The IMMO changed the EEPROM data. It would appear that the "clone" ecu was not recognized and the "pairing" process occurred but the resulting data did not match the key.

9 data sets were changed from the orginal file. Here are the data changes that the IMMO made to eeprom. I believe that someone smarter then me could dig a pin code out this.

Test Date: 12/3/2014

Conditions: Random EU ecu - unknown prior usage - reflashed both eeprom & data
    Flashed using "right side" known good data
    Verified data after flash - 100% identical byte for byte

Test1: Install clone ECU into right side
    Result: Car would run on only on bank 1, no cyl firing on right side.

Test2: Install clone ECU into left side
    Result: Car ran normally

After test ECU was removed and data downloaded back into computer for comparison.
    Result: EEPROM data was modified by the IMMO/Alarm

Ferrari 360 CH - EEPROM data before & after IMMO connection:

0x34 E9 => 80
    0x36 FB => 07
    0x37 FF => 00
    0x38 2F => 16
    0x3A 23 => CB
    0x3E 29 => 89
    0x3F FC => FD
    0x42 A4 => 8F
    0x4E 01 => 16

I have just flashed the ECU to the left side EEPROM & data, will try that next and see if I can a proper start. Hopefully in the life of this car no one had ever moved the left side ECU to the right side, as the eeprom data is different I may get lucky. I also have a friend sending me his confirmed "virgin" ecu's to be read. We will see if that data will "pair" when written onto this random ecu.

Has anyone tested the relays of 360 to see if the fuel/ignition system is actually hard off when the immo is triggered? Or is it just that the ECU is not acting on the ignition/fuel system? Or both(most likely)?

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I believe on the 360 (Motronic 7.3) with the immobilizer active, she will not even turn over so the start circuit is inhibited. On my 575M (Motronic 7.1.1) with immobilizer active, she will turn over, but will not start, so fuel, spark, or both inhibited.

21. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Thanks Taz.
    Oddly enough on the 360 ch the car will start but only on the drivers side bank. It will run and drive fine- don't ask how I know. Does anyone know if the 360 street car does the same?

22. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Well this is getting to be a PIA. Next test also failed. The EEPROM data in the ECU is getting overwritten by the immo(my assumption). So after cloning the left side ECU to my ebay ECU and attempting start (on right side)- the data was changed again and does not match the orginal ECU. I was hoping that it would pair up and run. I have noticed a few bytes are the same between the rewritten data from my first test on ECU's that will not start the car.

0x37 = FF on ECU that works = 00 on all ECU's that do not work & Left side ECU.

I am wondering if this process occurs in a paired ECU/IMMO - I will do a hard shutdown on the car - kill the disconnect while running and then reread my original pass. side ECU to see if its data changes or remains the same after pairing.

Next - I will clone a 100% virgin ECU and write that to the ebay unit. These bosch guys are not messing around.

Some unanswered questions...
    How does the immo know that the clone is different? another chip?
    Why won't the ebay ECU "re-pair" to this immo?
    Could this failure to pair be caused by the ebay ECU having already paired with another IMMO?

23. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    good stuff !

the resulting test will probably answer your three above questions

if it fails, that means the immo somehow recognizes the clone
    if not, the car will start ;)

last test would be to install the virgin unit ...

24. modificator

modificator Formula Junior
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    Guys, excellent work, but what is the conclusion? I know the problem has been solved and the solution has been posted years ago, but perhaps removed as I can not find it anywhere. Also several people around the world recover the PIN if the immobilizer is mailed to them (and understandably they may want to keep this information off the net).

Still, can anyone post how to recover PIN from the immobilizer? E.g. the address at which the PIN is stored and the storage format? If there is a security concern about publicly posting immobilizer information, can someone PM me that information off-line directly (and I will continue to keep it off the net, if that is the sender's desire)?

Also, is the PIN also known to the ECU and can it be extracted from the ECU? That would be much more convenient, as the ECU may need to be accessed anyway for tuning and other purposes.

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

25. modificator

modificator Formula Junior
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    I've found a very important comment from @tazandjan (thanks Terry!) which explains initialization sequence and demonstrates that one of the ECUs is also storing the PIN:

"Both Motronic ECUs start out identical, with exactly the same contents and part number. When the system first initializes, the alarm ECU looks for the PIN stored in its memory and compares it to the one in the Motronic ECU. If blank, the PIN is passed over the CAN and written in the Motronic memory."