Slow Window Fix for less than $30.00 | FerrariChat

Slow Window Fix for less than $30.00

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by adsphelan, Jan 18, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. adsphelan

adsphelan Karting

Nov 11, 2005
    #1 adsphelan, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just would like to thank Full for his glass of 348 slow post .
    This should work for the 308 and 355 as well with a small negative wire issue.
    I just completed my driver and passenger relays and I had over a 200% increase in motor speed in going up and over a 25% increase in going down. Here is the post. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304893&highlight=glass+348+slow

The Relay I used is a 4 pin HEAVY DUTY SPDT 40 AMP 12V Automotive Relay.
    They are $1.99 each at ebay.
    Below is a before and after motor speed, and a how to.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2dinos likes this.
  2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Nice fix. While my old 308 had slow windows, not as bad as your post, I have never had issues with either my previous 328 or my current 355. Guess I am lucky.

3. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    So if I am reading this correctly you splice the 2 wires into the wires going to the window motors and run the black wire to ground. So you would have 4 wires going to the window motors.

4. adsphelan

adsphelan Karting

Nov 11, 2005
    In the first picture of the installation you would cut out the plastic piece. Solder those two wires plus one of the non ground wires from the switch together. Do that same procedure to the other (plastic connection). Then add the ground wire to door bolt. That is it.

5. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I'm pretty good at mechanical stuff, but electrical stuff baffles me. I see what you did with the relays, how they were wired together. But I can't follow how you wired it into the existing system, or how it would work to speed up the motors.

For the electrical dummies among us, me included, could you possibly do a diagram of how you wire it into the system? Something that would be easy to follow. Many thanks.

6. adsphelan

adsphelan Karting

Nov 11, 2005
    #6 adsphelan, Jan 19, 2011
  7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  8. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #8 FerrariDublin, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
    Different issue and hope you don't mind we taking this thread in a slightly different direction for a moment?

My drivers door window often doesn't close sweetly. Gets near the top, seems to go slightly out of alignment and stops. Repeated stabs at the switch will generally get it to close. Alternatively open the door and it normally goes up pretty easily and when door closes she slots home.

I've put off pulling the door apart to find the problem because I'm not really sure what I'm looking for and feel that it's likely a worn part that needs replacement and that I'll only have to reassemble and tackle the job again after ordering parts.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

p.s. adsphelan, that's a lovely bit of work you've done there - not only functional but has all the quality of a factory finished installation. Well done. I haven't seen that plastic dip product before but it looks excellent.

9. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    STEVE think of it this way: Each relay simply senses voltage on a motor wire. This means the other motor wire should be grounded. The relay instantly provides a ground which is 'better than' the factory wiring ground. 'Better than' meaning it most of the voltage normally eaten up by the switch and long trail of small wires can be utilized by the motor for greater speed instead.

The ultimate in window speed requires bringing battery voltage into the door and wiring the two (slightly more expensive) relays to eliminate the other half of the voltage drop. My windows are 2 sec down and 2.5 secs up.

But the solution given by this thread is quite adequate, cheap, and simple, thus elegant. Plus that tool goop suggestion for waterproofing is great.

10. adsphelan

adsphelan Karting

Nov 11, 2005
    #10 adsphelan, Jan 24, 2011
  11. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    This is a great post. The windows are slow on the 308 and the Mondial. I will have my tech look into this and get it done. :)

12. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    The purpose of the relay is to save the switch by not having to route high voltage or amperage through the switch. The switch instructs the relay to open or close, and the relay lets a full 12v (in the case of a car) and whatever amp is required through to the window motor.

But I've read and re-read this thread, and continue to have the same question....

Why two relays? Is it one per window (both doors)?

Phil

13. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Phil the window motors need two relays each.One relay is used to raise the window while another is used for lowering the window.The motors are DC motors and require polarity to be swapped in order to change direction of the motor.Lets say for example that thenwindow motor has two wires,on red wire and one black.By connecting 12v to the red wire and grounding the black wire the motor will spin in one direction,if you then connect the black wire to 12v and the red to ground,the motor will spin in the opposite direction.The two relays swap the connection of the wires

14. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Phil, in the solution presented here, the relays' purpose is to shorten the route to ground, not to bring in a new positive 12V ciruit to the window motors. Other solutions that have been diagrammed on other treads show how to bring in a new positive 12V line directly to the door, thereby having the window switches become a low volt activator for the newly added relays.

15. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    #15 PhilB, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    Yes, this is the route I was considering taking - having the switch activate relays which will power 12v feeders to each door.

But to Maurice's point (thank you Maurice, my brain was aching trying to figure why the two relays), even with a new 12v feeder, I presume two relays will be required (one for up, one for down)?

This is one of those items long down on the list, but nevertheless I want to understand my options so I can get to it at some point.

Phil

16. tech4ferrari

tech4ferrari Karting
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 22, 2010
    Mt Airy N,C
    Full Name:
    casey johnson
    JUST TRIED THIS ON A 355 AND DID NOT WORK PROPERLY FOR ME...HOWEVER IT WAS A 355 SPIDER "WINDOWS HAVE A TOP INPUT SIGNAL ADDED IN"....THE WINDOW ECU KEPT SHUTTING THE GLASS LIFTER OFF AND WHEN YOU WOULD UNDO THE TOP TO PUT IT DOWN THE WINDOW WOULD NOT LOWER TO MAKE ROOM FOR THE TOP, HAVENT TRIED 355 COUPE YET....I HAVE USED IT ON SEVERAL 308'S, 328'S AND 348'S...WORKS GREAT.

17. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    #17 Paul_308, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    Yes, but not the same type of relay. Both 'up' and and 'down' relays must each have contacts for power as well as ground. By using DPDT relays, a little circuit protection can be built in as well.

edit - Speed has consequences. Forgot to add that the hypersonic 2 second down time can slam the window into the bottom stops, so I added limit switches to softly turn motors off before that happens.

Also, change the rubber stops at the bottom as they get terribly worn. My Ace hardware store had replacements.

18. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    i just wish there was a way that the windows could go down and be flush with the door :D

19. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I'm going to add the relays to my passenger door, but when searching for the relays, some have internal resistors and some don't. Will either type work, is one better than the other?

Dan

20. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Technically known as 'snubbers' they help quench the spikes generated when the coil is switched on/off. For some automotive applications they are chosen when radio noise must be avoided or where switch contact erosion is a problem. Snubbers come in resistors, resistor-capacitor combinations, diodes, zener diodes, back-to-back zeners, varistors and a few other who-cares types.

If you listen to the radio a lotIf you feel the need for snubbers on your relays, choose any type except for diodes unless you plan to pay attention to coil polarity. But you won't so don't use diode snubbers.

21. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks paul.

So the resistor type could help save the window switches?

22. Jbryant

Jbryant Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    California City
    Full Name:
    Jeff Bryant
    Thanks for your idea. I installed the relays this weekend and WOW it was a major improvement. I had already removed the motors and applied new grease and that helped, but the relays were the right ticket. Window moves up and down like you would expect.

Thanks Again

23. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Consider a relay used in brake light service in a commercial truck. That application suggests using a snubber on the relay coil to help longevity of the brake light switch contacts. That's typical of why relay coil snubbers are offered but unfortunately it serves to confuse one's choice in a less demanding application. My primary point was avoiding purchase of diode snubbers as they require observing strict polarity requirements. But a resistor snubber might reduce radio noise for you and be a good choice.

You have already taken the big step in saving the window switches by using a relay which is lowering the current a hundred-fold - not to speak of halving the time it's actually used. Next step, saving the headlight switch!

24. spgribben007

spgribben007 Karting

Nov 11, 2010
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve Gribben
    I got the replays and I'm plan of doing the fix this coming weekend. I haven't take the door panels off and was wondering what gauge wire should I get?

25. adsphelan

adsphelan Karting

Nov 11, 2005
    All the wires are 14 gage except the ground which is 16 to 18 gage. I used all 14 gage on my 348.