Todays Econo-Comparo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Todays Econo-Comparo

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by anunakki, Feb 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    If MPG is that much of a factor, how about a CPO BMW 335 diesel?

will cost a bit more than $30k (maybe $35-ish), but you'll save it in fuel costs over the life of the car.

and chicks love the 3 series :)

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    This weekend was spent revisiting some of the cars she liked to see how they held up.

Looks like she has settled on a Mini...unfortunately she wants an automatic is is satisfied with the base 120hp version...Obviously not a car person...sigh.

I have offered to pay the difference if she would at least step up to the Cooper S and its 170hp engine (which is a blast to drive even as an auto).

She is considering it.

3. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    is the auto a torque converter, or dual clutch gearbox?

I think it will be a good car for her. try to get the S ;)

4. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Torque converter. The new rally car does have a sequential though. :D

5. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Too bad she passed on the GTI. I've had mine for three months (DSG) and so far not a hick-up. And my milage (mixed city/hwy) is 27. But, I don't plan on owning it passed the warranty, and it hasn't stranded me yet (fingers crossed).

6. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Paging Dr. Chas for a GTI review.

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Dr. Chas says,

take two Hondas and call me in the morning

;)

8. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    When I was shopping last fall it was between a used Mini (stick, non-S) and the Accord coupe I bought. Reputation of reliability of the 2006 mini I was looking at seemed a bit questionable. I think they have a couple of common problems (electronic steering rack for one) that are not too cheap to fix. The closest dealer being three hours away also dissuaded me as well.

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    there's a BMW dealer in Springfield, can't you get a Mini fixed there?

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    A new GTI or used A4 will get you the highest quality build and the best interior...A MazdaSpeed3 is OK too...

11. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #36 tundraphile, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
    When we had our BMW the service department at Reliable was anything but. I'm not sure they would touch it or if I would let them. Surely the ***** that ran the service department in 2002 is gone by now.

12. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I thought in your opening post you said 4 doors? A Mini is in a totally different segment than other traditional 4 doors.

We just went through the same thing. Needed a 4 door, nice car for around 30K. Looked at and drove lots of stuff, in the end narrowed it to the A4 (one year old CPO) or Lexus IS 250/350 (also CPO). I did try my best to talk her into an Audi A5, but she really wanted 4 doors. Ended up buying a fully optioned 2009 IS250 with about 16K miles for high $20's. We wanted something with a nice interior, and it has a really great one IMO. Still sort of sporty, handles nicely, if a bit bland. It is unbelievably composed and quiet at highway speed. It will just gobble up the miles effortlessly. For a car with no soul to speak of, I actually REALLY like it a lot, and I went into it thinking I wouldn't.

13. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yeah she originally said 4 doors. Now its 4 seats with the rule that I can fit in the back (that means the seats are practical)

She feels the A4 and IS250 are too large and have poor visibility.

14. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #39 nathandarby67, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ahhh....gotcha! Only being required to have 4 seats but not necessarily 4 doors opens up lots more cool possibilities for you!

Have you looked at the Audi A5? Good sized back seat (for a coupe), probably the world's best interior short of a Bentley, decent performance, nice looks. You can find 2-3 year old low mileage examples around $30K.

Although, it is hard to go wrong with a Mini for sheer coolness and fun. I would definitely spring for the S upgrade if she lets you. Be sure to keep us posted on your hunt!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. sumbaco

sumbaco Karting

Jun 21, 2008
    Acura TL/TSX

16. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #41 anunakki, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My GF made her decision and bought a Mini Cooper S yesterday. Horizon blue, black roof.

Today I took it out to see what it can do....what a fun car. Reminds me of my old Honda CRX but with more power. This thing can actually get up and go.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. masterflex164

masterflex164 Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    VW CC, VW GTI, VW JEtta/GOLF TDI are good daily drivers

The Golf and CC are Consumer Reports best picks for reliability.

I own 2 VAG products (Jetta Sportwagen TDI and Audi Q7) and my brother has a CC. No reliability problems between the three at all. Great cars. VW has really moved up in the world. In the Consumer report 2010 reliability chart, VW is ranked above all GM brands

18. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    great choice!

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    +1, it's a cool little car. in hindsight I should have bought one of those instead of the GTi.

oh well, I'm sure my mechanic's kids needed new shoes :(

20. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Glad you are having good luck. I know a lot of owners, and looked at the VW forums when I was looking for a DD. The GTI is a cool car, but I would never buy one based on all the issues I heard about.

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Good move, MINIs are nice -- I drove an S a couple years back you can feel the BMW influence in the way it handles.