Red Line Trans Fluid | FerrariChat

Red Line Trans Fluid

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave Monk, Feb 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Monk

Dave Monk Karting

Apr 23, 2010
    SW Virginia
    Full Name:
    David Monk
    When I did my recent 30K engine out I used Red Line Transmission fluid 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil. I was hoping for some real improvement in shifting performance, however, it appears about the same. Granted, it has been cold here and I have probably only put 50 miles on the car with the new oil in it. Should I expect better performance?

2. DannyR

DannyR Karting

Apr 6, 2005
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Danny Roberts
    I made the same switch about a year ago and could tell no difference either.
    I think if you've already got something in there of decent qaulity and it's not worn out......thats what you should expect. No difference.

3. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    #3 rbellezza, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
    I also use Red Line, i did see some improvement when i switched. Were you able to find out what gear oil you had before ? Perhaps was Red Line ? If you want to see a real improvement, you could use the Shockproof version but I always had doubts about total protection. The 348 transmission is ... whatever it is, i got used to ...

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I noticed a significant improvement when I switched to Redline 75W90NS.

As rbelleza mentioned, perhaps yours already this before and that's why you don't notice a difference?

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I used Redline MTL basedon Brian Crall's posting about its results in his experience. It was noticeably better, especially the 1-2 shift when the fluid was cold.
    :)
    BT

6. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    I used Redline at £15 a quart, and mine is worse than it was before I started.

My mate has an identical car and use Silkolene at half the price and his is great.

As long as the oil is the correct spec, my personal experience suggests it makes little difference...

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No brand of oil is a fix all. We also regularly see cars with real shifting problems that owners have come to believe are normal because of all the lore about bad shifting gear boxes. Have someone else familiar with what a good working 348 shifts like drive your car for their opinion.

8. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I must admit, this is the first post that I have seen that actually stated you had worse results with Redline

9. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    He didn't say what type of redline he switched to however...

10. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    #10 troy_wood, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
    This is the first 348 gb oil thread that IMO reflects an accurate estimation of what oil can/cannot do for our gb's. (outside of switching to the riskier Shockproof). Hard 1st to 2nd cold shifts is normal for our cars and I for one will be a bit worried the day I get an easy 1st - 2nd cold shift.

Edit : I forget who it was but awhile back someone summed up wisely that it's a good thing for some that cold shifting is not possible as it prevents engine destruction from winding out when cold. May have been fbb...

11. redzone

redzone Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 31, 2007
    Beach
    Full Name:
    John
    #11 redzone, Feb 15, 2011
    I use Shockproof & wouldnt use anything else.
    Prior I had used Mobil & Amsoil.My shift quality is far better cold & warm.
    I havent heard anyone else say they didnt get an improvement from using it.After warm up it really is far better than anything IMHO & from experience. No metal on the drain plug & I have used it for 20k miles. -John

12. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good point, one should never assume...:)

Sletti, what brand of Redline did you have poor results with, and what were you using before?

13. Andretti Molletti

Andretti Molletti Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2010
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dré
    SPECS:
    Lightweight ShockProof®

Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W140, yet low fluid friction like 80W gear oil Excellent low-temp flow, improved cold shifting
    For racing differentials under moderate loads
    Popular in racing transmissions like Hewland and other Road Racing dog-ring boxes, Bert and Brinn for Stock Cars, G-Force, and Liberty clutchless for Drag Racing

75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil

Designed for transaxles - helps to slow synchros for easier shifting across a broad temperature range
    Popular in Ferrari, transaxles
    Musclecar applications like Ford Top Loader, Borg-Warner T-10 and Super T-10, and Muncie transmissions
    Contains extreme pressure additives like our 75W90 GL-5 oil, but lacks friction modifiers to balance slipperiness
    Improved copper corrosion protection to prolong synchro life
    Helps with lock-up on weak limited-slip differentials-compatible with Red Line Limited Slip Friction Modifier for tuning slippage
    Also used with clutch-type LSDs in racing for maximum lock up
    Recommended for API GL-5, GL-6, MT-1, MIL-L-2105E and SAE J2360

I read in the specs that the 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil is better for the 348 aplication than the "shockproof"

Can somebody explain why you even should use shockproof?
    Ans, here in europe we have fine brands of superior oil, like Shell ;). Why not use Shell as specified by Ferrari? Do they build good cars and recommend bad oil?

14. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    #14 Dr_ferrari, Feb 15, 2011
    Sounds like maybe the gearbox needs adjustment if there is no improvement and no gear oil will make that better.

We use the Royal Purple max gear 75w90 and to me shows a noticable improvement over the factory oil in cold weather operation.

But in any case, if you use the Factory shell gear oil and the gearbox is adjusted correctly, The shifting will be more than acceptable.

Regards, Jim

15. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    You will get an easier cold shift using shockproof versus NS. But there are questions as to the level of protection with the shockproof. It's a protection versus performance issue.

16. Dave Monk

Dave Monk Karting

Apr 23, 2010
    SW Virginia
    Full Name:
    David Monk
    Drove the car some more today, I suppose it is a little better than before. It isn't too bad, just not what you would expect of a once high end car. My vette shifted like butter, but I remember my old 87 vette 4+2 transmission being pretty rough too. I use the shockproof stuff in my Harley, can't say it helped that thing much either-marginal improvement at best. I will say my transmission shifts better than another 348 I looked at before buying the one I have now.

17. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    If I remember rightly it was 4 bottles of Redline 75W90ns and topped up with a slug of Redline 75W90 as per the accumulated wisdom of Fchat.