George Reed/ Chaz Pritchards RRR | FerrariChat

George Reed/ Chaz Pritchards RRR

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tx246, Feb 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Does anyone know of any historical records or information from the 60's regarding Reed's Garage?

Does anyone know if either of these individuals, or friends/family, are still in the Ferrari world?

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Crickets.....

3. pr3par32die

pr3par32die Formula 3

Sep 11, 2010
    Skokie
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Yep, lol i don't even know who you're talking about. I shall look him up

4. pr3par32die

pr3par32die Formula 3

Sep 11, 2010
    Skokie
    Full Name:
    Matt
  5. JohnNystrom

JohnNystrom Rookie

Apr 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Nystrom
    I ran my automotive repair business at 18009 Harwood Ave in Homewood IL for 16 years. These pictures were given to me from Dale Moody a good customer and friend of mine. Dale was also part of the Reeds Race Rats, pictured is George and this is what Dale says about them.
    "The last La Carrera Panaericana in 1954 was won by Umberto Maglioli in a Ferrari 375 + The car pictured here (one of only five built) which I took in front of the Homewood Garage in Homewood, IL, then home of RRR Motors (Reed's Race Rats), could be the the ex-Froilan Gonzales/Maurice Trintignant Ferrari that won LeMans in 1954, but not sure of that.. Pictured below is George Reed getting ready to take his then newly-acquired 375+ for a test drive, probably in the winter of 1956. George bought this 375+ from Luigi Chinetti and later raced it with a Holman & Moody 428 Ford, replacing the 5 Ltr. Columbo SOHC V12."

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F1tommy and absostone like this.
  6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  7. Roger Johnson

Roger Johnson Rookie

Feb 23, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Roger Johnson
    I grew up in Homewood. In the 60's I would go to RRR Motors garage every few months and walked through the shop looking at the cars. My father purchased a gorgeous 1963 Maserati 3500 there that was a trade in on a new Ferrari. Several years prior my dad had met John Lundin, coincidently also from Homewood, who was the first President of the Club. Mr. Lundin was the impetus to inspire my dad to take the plunge and buy a Ferrari. He had a rare Ferrari from the 50's I recall as unattractive as the styling of the cars had so radically changed. My parents joined the Club and my mother used her office for years to informally assist the officers with business as they had jobs and limited time. They advised her to run for Sec/Treas and officially ease their burden. The FCA official address was PO Box 1146, Homewood IL. After about 5 years as the Clubs membership rose the Directors chose to make her the first paid employee. She worked in that capacity for 13 years and finally gave it up for retirement in FL. Prancing Horse #80 was kind enough to recognize her contributions with a full page of thanks from various FCA officials. PH #184 noted her passing in with a photo and stated "for 13 years-singlehandedly running the Club on a day to day basis."

BigTex and 375+ like this.
  8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Very nice to hear this history. Yes RRR had some great cars over the years I have seen. I saw several of his AutoWeek early 1970's ads and they were amazing. I think he stored cars also by Midway Airport.

Kind of funny, but alot of national sportscar clubs were started in Chicago for some reason. Could have something to do with the fact that we are near several big race tracks and have been for many years, starting with INDY and Road America.

9. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A good friend of mine, Ken Hutchinson was a driver for George, and a long time publicity manager at RRR. Ken told me many stories of his experiences during his years at RRR, most very were about the fun of racing and the antics of Reed. I do not know much about Ken these days, and would like to know about him today.

10. Roger Johnson

Roger Johnson Rookie

Feb 23, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Roger Johnson