US GP in Austin Discussion and Speculation... | Page 24 | FerrariChat

US GP in Austin Discussion and Speculation...

Discussion in 'F1' started by Simon^2, Jul 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Now that Austin is on the official FIA calendar, will the race really happen?

1. Yes, it will happen.

2. No, no way for construction to finish.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm starting to think you're right on this one. 14 months is not a lot of time left.

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    14 months would be tight if they had everything financed, scheduled and contracted. Which they don't.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

And if they do have it in place, why dont they just say so........hmmmm guess its not in place. Id like to see this be done and Id like to visit Austin. Im not going to put much thought into it, until they have publicly made significant progress, and the finances are in order and put out publicly, with faces and numbers that seem genuine.

Its seems alot like Delorean more than USF-1. They might get there but something says it will fold soon after. As posted above F1 and money and longevity are not something that stay together for the long term. History has ample proof the odds are against it. Too bad somehow someday maybe that will change. On the surface this project does not seem to be the one.

4. modena2904

modena2904 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I wonder how much of this "everything else" is locked into the contract, and actually required prior to the race.

Now that the race is on the schedule, maybe the hidden plan is to finish the track itself, and then conduct the race as if it were on a street circuit, with temporary "everything else". It wouldn't make Bernie happy, but it might be a way to actually make money at this game.

5. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    "to make money at this game". ??

The only way to do that is to bilk unsuspecting investors.

6. DF1

F1, the US market and make money have been historically shown to be mutually exclusive. This sport does not in any way capture the US market at large. When someone posts the total and complete funding to make Austin a viable and respected event, I will believe its real. SO far its piece-meal and innuendo. India is an example of what SHOULD be happening already in Austin.

I still believe its a plan, to sell a business plan for a race and garner profit on the sale of the plan.

7. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    #582 Tifosi15, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
    Just got back from the Austin site and I have to say...

The "problems" with the infrastructure don't seem to be so doomsday as made out to be here. The track is not but 6 or so miles from the international airport. SH130 could handle the traffic, along with 71 and probably 21, (there's plenty of possibility for ingress/egress) the site is not but a half mile from 130 and FM812 could easily be widened, it's already got enough room to be almost a 4 lane highway. The land in the surrounding areas are mostly for sale and there are no subdivisons to piss off because of the noise, not to mention it's already under the flight path of the airport. It's remote enough to be safe as a circuit, but still close enough to be easily able to route plumbing and electricity.

There are plenty of places for people to stay on a race weekend, the resort I'm currently at isn't but 20 miles from the circuit, with downtown Austin the same distance if not closer. That infrastructure is there as well, there is no end of possibilities in that regard.

Progress seems to be going well with a plethora of vehicles working on site, the layout of the site is clearly visible and it looks like the sites for the buildings are being prepped.

I had negative feelings while heading to the site but after seeing it I'm feeling a lot more confident. Funding is the major (and pretty huge) issue, but I think it's the only real hurdle. Yes, I realize the gravity of that statement and will be the first one to tell you funding doesn't look too good from what we know.

I'm not going to jump the gun here but I think and am really hoping that the naysayers will choke heavily on their words. This isn't a farce, and those who say it is haven't been there :D

8. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004

Thanks for the update!

9. Cariad

Cariad Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Any F1 Circuit
    Thank you for a fair assessment, I really hope it comes off and by that time I will have consolidated our homes to Austin and put the US residential market behind us.

10. madmaxatl

madmaxatl Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2007
    Buckhead, Palo Alto
    Full Name:
    Don Johnson
    Thanks for an informed update. Did get any pictures?

11. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    The only pictures I have are iPhone pictures and you can't really tell much

12. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    post them up anyways!

13. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I had the same problem with the Area 51 pics I took ;)

14. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Not enough attachments :eek:

;)

15. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
  16. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    So where's all the negativity? ;)

17. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    It's still out there, I'm sure the people who are complaining now, will still be complaining about something as they are sitting in the stands watching the race in Austin.

18. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I'm just glad I could lay down some real insight from all the speculation

19. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
  20. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
  21. madmaxatl

madmaxatl Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2007
    Buckhead, Palo Alto
    Full Name:
    Don Johnson
    Nice to see some recent aerial footage finally. It looks like a fair amount has gotten done in the last month and a half although they have a long way to go. I'm still calling BS, at least until I see the entire track graded and ready for paving.

22. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    #597 SRT Mike, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. DF1

I guess its the money or lack of. Still no public announcement of funding and its real status. I hope this keeps moving along but its not looking like it will get there on time unless something changes. We shall see what the future holds.

24. Prova7

Prova7 Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    DamonB
    Nobody doubts the work is capable of being done, the doubters merely point out the fact that all results of this project thus far do not point to it being completed in time for the race date. I'm not an optimist, a pessimist or a naysayer but I do believe actions speak louder than words and always judge by results. The results thus far are poor.

25. DF1

+1 my sentiments exactly.