US GP in Austin Discussion and Speculation... | Page 26 | FerrariChat

US GP in Austin Discussion and Speculation...

Discussion in 'F1' started by Simon^2, Jul 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Now that Austin is on the official FIA calendar, will the race really happen?

1. Yes, it will happen.

2. No, no way for construction to finish.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I doubt they'll meet their commitment (hope they will though) but I don't see Bernie exacting his pound of flesh. It doesn't look like there'll be any assets to go after unless they're given an extension. That may be their game plan after all.

2. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Any idea when tickets for the Austin GP would start selling? I know it's probably a long way off, but would like to mark it somewhere. Although if they use 'ticketmaster', practically all tickets would be sold to scalpers, including their own company. I haven't bought from those aholes in decades, so will have to reevaluate my self promise if they sell these tickets. Good day.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #628 tifosi12, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    Oh, you came to the right place:

I've got tickets for the grand stands, the VIP lounges and the first chicane. Gold, silver, bronze, just say what you like.

I'll also sell a bridge that goes along with that.

You can wire me the money through Western to my Nigerian office.

4. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Hey, just tell me how much! Ha ha. Seriously, I'd like to know to have the best chance of grabbing something without paying to the wazoo later on. My guess is that'd be about 6 months before the race at the earliest, but I've never been to an F1 race, so have no idea. Take care.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    *IF* there will be a USGP I'm sure you'll be able to order the tickets from the track itself at no inflated prices. That's how I bought my Canadian GP tickets.

It gets more difficult/expensive when we're talking a race in Europe.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #631 BigTex, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    No, we simply disagree on the meaning of the word "huge"....

To my firm, spending $6 -10MILLION on electrical is "average". They let me manage that all by myself!!..as long as cash flow is good and I don't abuse the customer too much, LOL! .a big project for HewlettPackard might be $130MILLION electrical only, that starts to be LARGE......

But you really have to be wiring something larger than that, to be HUGE.

Like NASA or the Space Shuttle....I work there too!

For me to stand in a cow pasture and jump up and down saying "Oh my, oh my" would be silly.....

Send me a Letter of Intent (and pass my firm's Credit Evaluation) and I'll mobilize with "boots on the ground"...

Austin Commercial knows that, they have my phone number.....electrically this is a Walk in the Park......

I'm in Shell Labs right now, with explosive sh it everywhere......one of these days I'll meet Dr. Lisa Lilley, I'm gonna ask her out. ;)

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Tavio and company might have trouble with the Credit Rating, having only been in business since "the day before yesterday" (historically speaking) but there's always ways to do a deal...

Harold Farb once put up a 45 story tower here at the Galleria by guaranteeing the loan PERSONALLY during the construction phase (what a nut swinger, nice guy and a pretty good lounge singer as well, at his club The Carlyle) then once complete, sold it to Canadian investors (San Felipe Plaza).

Someone like Red McCombs could do that as well, IF he wanted to.

Hard to tell who's pitching and whose catching, in these secret backroom deals.

But you can get the money.

You notice Austin and the State are rolling over like your dog on the rug for a belly scratch, to get this event going.....having pushed big projects thru Permitting there myself, somebody is greasing the skids, BIG time!!

8. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ..it's funny to read posts of detractors who talk about the officials and organizers as if they were on a first names basis; Rick and Susan don't want F1 in Texas, Lee isn't behind the project, neither are the locals, Steve was just hired for show (the Downs was going to fire him anyway), Bernie can't wait to nail Tavo (payback for the diaper incident). LOL. Gotta love the long distance critics that are not even plugged into the local networks commenting on what can and can't be done - remember this is Texas and it's a track not the Big Dig :)

BTW, folks that are in know are keeping quiet (and laughing)...

9. madmaxatl

madmaxatl Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2007
    Buckhead, Palo Alto
    Full Name:
    Don Johnson
    Do share

10. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I didn't say that Austin was going to happen.

I just was puzzled by your picture selection.

11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

If 2 people know something its no longer a secret. Glad folks are in the know but the confidence level among the rest seems pretty low.

A public event and project like this need to be more public. That being said I could care less if the race goes off. US and F1 do not have a profitable history together nor significant public support. If it happens great. If it doesnt that is no shocker either.

The 'in the know' crowd can laugh all they want. The lack of information gives this very worth while project the reputation it has. Frankly that is sad.

12. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Nothing that paying the $10M contractual penalty can't fix.

13. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    As if they have an extra 10 Mil.
    It must be quite the selling point, telling potential investors "Oh, and there's an extra ten Mil we'll owe for no good reason".

14. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I have to ask; where has Tavo and team said they need funding?
    And why do they need to make their financing details public? The only thing I remeber is that there are 3 or 4 investors, and that they have the funds.
    Just curious
    Kevin

15. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Thanks man; that's reassuring. What's not is your 'IF'. Do you have doubts about the '12 race? They could always push it towards the end of the season, no? Maybe that was discussed before, but don't have time to read 640 posts :). Hope it happens, as I'm not interested in hearing motorcycles with 4 wheels in '13 < ha ha>.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The financing of this project doesn't seem to be secured which causes delays in construction. The track has to be ready by June next year. They can't just tag it on at the end of the season. Given how much they have to build it looks unlikely they make that date. Furthermore they already talk about 2013.

17. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    2013 would be cool with me JUST GET THE DAYM TRACK BUILT!!!!

18. iamthesimpleone

iamthesimpleone Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #644 iamthesimpleone, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
    drove by the site today on the toll road, and they were working. (saturday)

I took that as a good sign.

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Putting in the OT is a very positive sign thanks for the update.

20. iamthesimpleone

iamthesimpleone Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Ben
    yeah, i didn't realize it was so close to the toll road. took me a while to recognize the big cleared area, and the path on the hills. it wasn't a full crew, but they had some machinery going kicking up dirt.

:)

21. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that they stated that they would be working Mon through Sat

22. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    They have been working 12 hour days 6 days a week for a while now.

23. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    They didn't lay the tarmac in Korea until about a week before the race last year.

I don't see why June 2012 isn't realistic. This is America.

Nola Motorsports Park is set to open in July, and they'll have had less time than that.

24. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Hence my O/T implication as anything over 40hr's per week is considered O/T in Tejas. I simply meant that the boys are working fast and furious to help make the 2012 date.