Buzzing Testarossa Fuel Pumps | FerrariChat

Buzzing Testarossa Fuel Pumps

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Shamile, Mar 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I have an odd buzzing fuel pump problem.

I have had this problem come on and off very rarely for the last couple of years....did it yesterday.

I had buzzing pumps about 2 years ago and replaced the original pumps (since 91) with OEM Bosch units.

Yesterday, they both started buzzing and the power dropped slightly. You could hear the exhaust note change and the idle was slightly lumpy.

I pulled one pump relay at a time....bank dropped to six, but other pump still buzzing. I put back that relay....engine up to 12....pull the other relay, drop 6....other pump buzzing. I again put back the relay and back on 12.

This morning, I start the car...all fine and all day....all fine.

I find it strange that BOTH pumps would start buzzing and then today...none. The pumps are relatively new and the coincidence of both pumps buzzing then nothing make me think something else is at play here.

Could it be something fuse box related? If power dropped to the pumps, the fuel flow would drop and the engine symptoms I experienced would be correct. But....if you drop power to the pumps....do they buzz?

Any checks I can perform if it does this again....very rare occurrence.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Your report that the runability seems affected does seem to indicate it's related to the fuel pump(s) itself (themselves), but, if it was only a buzzing noise, I'd be more suspicious of the sheetmetal covers or maybe one of the mounts for the sheetmetal covers has cracked/broken. If you want to investigate, what other choice do you have but to get underneath your mistress ;)

3. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

...you never have to ask me twice. :D

Seriously, The buzzing is definitely the pumps themselves. If I drive for awhile, they start buzzing after presumably, getting hot.

Today, I had no buzzing issues at all.

If I drive a long distance, they will start acting up. Before I change them....again, I'm wondering if a power drop or loss could cause this problem. If it is a power loss, that would indicate an electrical problem and not the pumps.

It's just that it's funny that BOTH pumps would buzz then today....none.

When I pulled the relay for each, you could still hear the other buzzing.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

4. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Could it be that you have a bad earth?

My pumps have an earth terminal on the chassis right in the middle of the car. If this is bad perhaps the pumps are running a lower voltage.

And just a thought. My dear old mum had a mini where the fuel pump started buzzing. It was due to the pump being starved of fuel at the inlets.

P

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Try pulling both relays at the same time.
    I guarantee it - that annoying, buzzing sound will stop.

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

6. mjh366

mjh366 Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    Kerrville Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike hoskins
    I have had the same problem with my 88TR, and went the same route you did, changed out the pumps, but the problem came back. It was always the right side. After I installed a remade board from Dave Helms "Scuderia Rampante", I have experienced several changes, from little or no buzzing, and smoother idle, to an over all better running car. I think your problem is electrical. With the old board the pumps are not getting the correct current flow, and when things got really warm things would get worse, it's those contacts again. Dave's board has change my car in subtle ways.
    Mike

7. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    power dropped slightly! make sure you are geting proper fuel in to the pumps tank fuel filter?

8. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

...see, that's the thing. The power only dropped when the pumps were buzzing. The next morning when I started the car...and all day, no buzzing...no power drop.

Hopefully, this weekend, I'll get under her skirt, pull her panties down and check the ground. :D

I know the connections are clean but a thorough clean and contact cleaner can't hurt.

Since this is the Ferrari week, I've been driving the car everyday...no buzzing issues since my post.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

9. lasvegascop

lasvegascop Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    "Ski"
    Hey Shamile, did you ever figure this problem out? Went out on a 250 mile trip and my pump(s) started buzzing too....my board is brand new, maybe 2k miles on it....

Ski

10. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Vegas ! ...long time no hear from. Wow...this is an old thread.

Unfortunately, I haven't found the problem as it hasn't surfaced in awhile. Then again, I really haven't done any trip over a hour in length.

Be sure, the day I find it...I'll post it!

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

11. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    I love that fix Vincenzo :D

12. lasvegascop

lasvegascop Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    "Ski"
    Cool...sounds good....finally summer is coming up! Right! ....Vegas had 41 last night and its April !!!! WTF?

13. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Is that Centigrade?

P

14. lasvegascop

lasvegascop Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    "Ski"
    Oh we only wish it was Centigrade! hahahahah No Fahrenheit....I know, in UK its a full blown summer weather but here in good ol desert at this time of the year we should be hitting 80-90's F! ( thats 32C) not 41F (5C).....

Last weekend took a trip to Death Valley w/ the club and few Mini's and Porsches...it was beautiful! Perfect weather.....

15. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Oh boy thats much cooler that the UK weather :(.

P