348 alternator | FerrariChat

348 alternator

Discussion in '348/355' started by NYJETSFAN, May 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    91 348tb alternator? i replaced the battery and now the battery light is on, is it for sure the alternator, the last battery just gave out, or could it be a external regulator?

thnx for any help

2. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    The alternator is not too hard to remove. You should probably remove it and have it tested to be sure.

3. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    No external regulator...its internal.

Yank the thing and bring it to a reputable alternator shop. should be able to get it rebuilt for $150 or less unless they apply the Ferrari tax. If you prefer to rebuild it yourself there's a great thread with part numbers.

4. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    When I am trying to hunt down a replacement part for my 348, I do not use the "F" word until absolutely necessary. ;)

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Sounds like the voltage reg is ****ed. :D:D

Remove alt and overhaul mate. :):)

6. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    +1 pretty simple and fairly cheap :)

Good Luck

7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good idea Todd - using the "F" word will get you "F'd" :D

8. Andretti Molletti

Andretti Molletti Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2010
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dré
    If it is the Nippon Denso alternator then check the fuse of the +15 to the regulator before rebuilding and taking it of and other things.

9. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    simple?! i cant even find it lol

10. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    Are you talking about the alternator? It is on the bottom side of the engine hiding under a vented plate. It is mounted to the front lower left corner of the engine.

11. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    yeah i pulled the plate off this weekend, looks tight but i guess it can come out,, thnx everyone for the tips...

12. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    The first time you have to remove your 348 alt or a/c compressor, you think, this is impossible. But after you do it, you figure out how to get it done and it does not seem so bad. Make sure you turn off your battery disconnect first. :D

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Are you going to take this advice before pulling it off?

14. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Make sure you don't inadvertently load the belt adjustment jack screw. It doesn't do anything until the pulley center bolt is loosened. ...ask me how I know...

15. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    While you have it off, you should have it rewound for 150 amp current. I had mine done and it was a little over $100

16. Andretti Molletti

Andretti Molletti Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2010
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dré
    What is wrong with the original Amperage?
    150A sounds like 150A x 14V= 2100Watt= 3HP, with an efficiency of 80% the heat will rise to 420Watt... (original 90A alternator gives 250Watt) thats a lot of heat if you dont change cooling!!
    And the cooling is the weakest point of the alternator, isn't it?
    Do not buy an expensive battery with low internal resistance. Be sure to have a lead accid battery with normal internal resistance so your alternatorcurrent wont rise too high.

17. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry, checked my receipt and I had it re-wound to 120 amps, but have never had an overheating issue

18. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    ???

Ok, what is it with replacing the battery and then the alternator giving you trouble???

Finally finished the GCK, added the new exhaust and drove 200 exhilerating miles.

But this Saturday, the battery light wouldn't go off.

I replaced the battery about a month ago, the old one was 6 years old and ouzing all the white stuff around the connectors so I replaced it with an Optima.

Remember the smell I talked about?

It was plastic insulation slightly melting on one of the positive cables attached to the main terminal...

So something was clearly up and now the battery light stays on...

Oh well, always something...

Kai

19. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    I'm no electrician but that sure sounds like a big strong short to ground. It takes a lot of current to melt insulation in a battery cable.

20. Kaivball

Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Doh.

That's it. Argh, so obvious.

The Optima battery is reverse so my negative is now on the outside and the positive towards the muffler.

I went and checked and just realized what happend.

The negative has quite a bit of slack (it's the one with the quick disconnect) and the cable was resting on top of the positive terminal...

That could not have been a good thing...

I wonder if that killed the alternator. Heck, I wonder if I killed the battery. Well, probably not the battery, it's on a tender and it looks like it charged normally.

Kai

21. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    Is your Optima a yellow top or red top? The yellow top can take much for abuse over the red top. Yes, that is a major deal to swap the battery cables. I certainly hope it did not do any damage to any of the electrical components. I am sure the alternator took a big hit. Maybe it survived. Good luck!

22. Kaivball

Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Red top.

No, no, I didn't incorrectly connect the cables to the battery.

But I routed the ground cable poorly (because it's so long) and it laid on top of the positive.

I drove over 200 miles like this. Where the ground cable and the positive cable touched (and I noticed that there was already some exposed wire on the positive) it began melting plastic (the smell I noticed).

I'll check out the alternator this coming weekend. Need to do an oil change any way... :)

Kai

23. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon

Ok, I understand now. I thought you had reversed the cables! :eek: Glad you found it before something really bad happened. ;)