360Stradale 6-speed manual conversion | Page 16 | FerrariChat

360Stradale 6-speed manual conversion

Discussion in '360/430' started by alberto, Jul 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    trev how much power is your car making on the dyno?

2. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    At this point I don't exactly know since I've done a lot of upgrades since the last dyno where I'd already passed the cs by quite some margin, particularly torque. I actually need to go back to the dyno but waiting until I do the ceramic coated fabspeed headers first.

Latest weight saving update:

Going to wait before I fit the full carbon doors until I get a roll cage fitted as there is just no side impact protection with those doors at all. So today I picked up a pair of brand new 430 Challenge carbon door cards which I weighed against the stock leather Modena door cards and the CS ones for comparison with some quite startling results.

1. The Modena door cards (in black leather with aluminum metal surround pocket, door handle and stereo speaker + tweeter). 6kg's each
    2. CS carbon door cards with metal handle and door opener (~2.5kg's each)
    3. 430 Challenge door with door open cable pull (600g each)

That's right, the Modena door cards weight 12kg's for the pair. Ouch! What where Ferrari thinking?!
    The CS ones are around 5kg's for the pair
    The 430 Challenge a mere 1.2kg's for the pair! (1/10th of the Modena's), saving almost 11kg's alone but are NOT a straight fit.

I've spent the past few hours hacking away to get those 430Ch cards to fit. Some serious mod's to the dashboard need to be done to fit Challenge door cards. So the dash has come out again :) Cutting the sides to fit. Also the clearance at rear of the 430Ch cards is very poor, it has issues coming into contact with the electric window motors. Success! After some modifications I've been able to get them to fit! Pics to follow tommorrow evening. Doors feel quite a bit lighter to open and close already ;)

3. Kouki Monster

Kouki Monster Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    Washington
    Full Name:
    AJ
    wow! that is crazy. What is the difference between the 430 and 360 carbon doors?

4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #379 360trev, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Some Pics...

They are very similar to F40 door cards, you use a pull string to open the door so no metal handles, etc. Ultra thin vacuum impregnated cf is used vs what I think may have been wet lay up on the 360/cs older door cards. So ultra light it feels like you've picked up a piece of light cardboard/thick paper...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Kouki Monster

Feb 26, 2007
    Washington
    Full Name:
    AJ
    very nice indeed! but sorry for the confusion. What i meant was what is the difference between the 430 challenge ones vs the 360 racing challenge cars. looking at those pics, they seem very similar inside and out. So i am curious did you go 430 stuff cause it is easier and readily available?
    I am taking my notes thanks to you and this build.. and it the document is getting bigger each time haha I am just happy we are very like minded

6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The majority of 430 Challenge stuff was an evolution of the 360 Challenge parts and usually more refined, lighter, etc. In this case of the door skins the CS/Scuderia road car ones are quite a bit heavier (probably for improved sound insulation properties) vs the ultra light Racing ones which are quite frankly amazingly light.

It is worth mentioning at this point that basically the 360/430 ch cars are the same Alcoa chassis but with different bits such as engine/box and styling parts so a lot of upgraded parts bolt back directly onto a 360/430 road car. As an example of weight improvements, a 430 Scuderia GT3 race car (without ballast) has a kerb weight of 1,100kg's.

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #382 360trev, May 31, 2011
    One more close up.

Will post pics of the mod's I'm doing to the dash to allow the doors to close with the 430 Challenge cf panels fitted v.soon !

The Pull cable isn't fitted in this shot, just hanging down in this 'test fit' photo. Still work to do... Will post more shots once its completed.

8. SimonSays

SimonSays Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Simon
    great stuff Trev :)

I've been following this thread for quite some time now, and keep being awestruck by the things you come up with, that's quite some dedication there !!

What would you suggest "everyone" with a 360 does to improve the overall performance of the car? I seem to remember some trick with the intakes? What are your top "bang for the buck" modifications?

9. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Looking superb mate ... great work

10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Thanks Simon, its a labor of love... ;)

Depends on what you want to do, performance, handling, braking?

The best performance upgrades for a standard 360, spending the minimum cash and being easy to put back to stock when you resell are;

F1 Shifting speed
    1. For paddleshift guys, CS F1 TCU (much discussed, one for sale on Ebay uk right now).

Engine Performance
    1. For everyone, Sports Cats, Headers & Exhaust. For US the cats and headers replacements absolutely transform the car. I personally like the Kinetix cats as they aren't too loud and are very light. Doing just the backbox fails to change much as the restrictions on these cars are the standard cats (and header cats).
    2. If your budget can stretch to it get CS maps re-flashed into your standard ignition computers. You've now gained at least 30hp, much snappier throttle response, improved shift speed and very nice sounding system. I prefer the standard CS maps to tuner ones as they are very protective and likely to be bullet proof.

Handling
    1. Scud wheels, tyres & geometry.
    2. Scud uprated steel springs (not ti ones as they are too expensive for most ppl's budget).
    3. Scud Anti-rollbar
    4. If your budget can stretch get the uprated wishbone bushes pressed in too.

Transformational mod's that give a huge dose of attitude to the cars.

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Cheers Scott,

Need to catch up with you, I know where you can get your cf dash centre piece from if you need it!

12. SimonSays

SimonSays Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Thanks for that :)
    Anything specific for the CS boys? How much was that modification where you had something machined to go in between of the intake manifold and the block? (can't remember the details)

Would probably get a set of forged wheels made in that case, much lighter! (around 7kg a wheel)

13. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Yer let me know if you are going to any events Trev, or we can just do a drive out and catch up.

Are we talking the CF heater surround panel ?

Exterior of mine now is finally finished to full CS spec, the CS engine lid with lip spoiler totally improves the whole look of the car and with the polycarbonate screen is soo lightweight.
    Still need to find some time to work on the interior, spent 2 days getting the factory soundproof chewed up tyre crap off the floors, man that was hard work full on hard labour, but worth it ...amazing how much that stuff weights, I took almost two full carrier bags of the stuff out the car.

Have got the blue annodized racing oil pipe on order p/n 70000222 its about £70 so probally not much in it ££££ wise if you were to pay to get yours redone.

14. Kouki Monster

Feb 26, 2007
    Washington
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Thanks Trev!

curious to see how much work you have to do to the dash. I hope not to much where it is to obvious? But I cant imagine that much needs to be cut from the dash to make for it to close. Also, do you have a picture of the back side of the carbon panel? I am curious how they set up the carbon door panel since it has that inner back piece. That i think would be a hard reverse curve for a mold and vac style.

15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Just checked on web and was getting quotes back for around £250 inc vat and postage. Where did you get this from?

16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Think they did the 2 pieces seperately then bonded them together... Will try to take some more pics later.

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    How does one get CS maps ? And do you prefer test pipes or hi flo cats

18. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Sorry Trev in a meeting at the mo, will call you back in a bit.

ahhhh that part no was the full kit p/n, actually my mistake, ive just ordered the blue pipe p/n 201653 £63 quid, had to get it direct from maranello egham as Mike could'nt get it. Not exactly sure what is in the full kit @ £250+ ??

19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Ask your local Ferrari 360 tuner. He'll connect via OBD-II and reflash is done of the maps in less than a minute. No dismantling or anything. On a completely standard car this yields 5hp gain across entire rev range and significantly more on a free flowing exhaust system equipped car.

I prefer high flow cats but not too loud, personally prefer the Kinetix as they are not as loud as Hyperflows. The test pipes don't pass emissions tests so are a pain for the yearly tests. The race cats give so little restrictions (esp. compared to stock cats) that there are no real disadvantages.

20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Thx Scott!

21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #396 360trev, May 31, 2011
    Ok, here's some in progress shots of the modifications necessary to the dash upper to allow the 430 Challenge carbon door panels to fit in a regular 360. It requires around 1.5cm of material to be removed from either side and then the dash material (Alcantara in my case) to be re-glued. Quite an easy job for me as I've had my dash out more times than I care to remember doing this build so I can now do it in less than 30 mins ;)

Ok, here's the gruesome shots, just did a test run with the modified dash and it now allows the doors to close with a perfect snug fit. Perfect after shots to follow when in situ in the car....

22. Argento6spd360modena

Argento6spd360modena Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2009
    Wow! never heard of that before. Can this be done at Ferrari service centers? The CS maps works in 6spd 360?

23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #398 360trev, May 31, 2011
    The door closes with the dash in place (test fitting, not yet fitted)!

First test of the newly modified dash and its a success. There is now enough clearance for the 430 Challenge Carbon door panels to fit. Before the dash mod this door panel had no possibility to line up against the dash.

24. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev

Q1. No, this won't ever be available to non CS owners from a main dealer.
    Q2. Yes (only aftermarket tuners or knowledgable ppl do it).

They use the CS base maps (some modify them slightly for further improvements such as higher octane fuel) and simply reflash the mapping data via OBD II.

25. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Now I can close the doors again ;) lol...