McLaren v. 458 Scuderia | FerrariChat

McLaren v. 458 Scuderia

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 65 f.i., Jun 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 65 f.i.

65 f.i. Karting

Feb 10, 2008
    Santa Barbara, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I have been in conversation with a local dealership; started talking about the McLaren; went on a Google search and uncovered info on the 458 Scuderia.
    It seems the McLaren is faster and more of a "sportscar" than the current 458 but I wonder how long-lived that will be with the Scuderia. I have a feeling this may be my only Ferrari or exotic sportscar and as-such it may make sense to wait if the car is that much superior to the McLaren or the current 458. It doesn't seem as there are any price predictions. Anyone have any insight on price, performance comparisons, etc.?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Last week you were ordering a convertible !

I'm guessing you've got another couple of years at least to wait & save up

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Lol. Ouch

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Yes, a car either tuggs at your heart or it does not. Buy a car that tuggs at your heart--irrespective of what others tell you to do (or not to do).

5. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    According to whom? Certainly not anyone that has driven and tested both cars.

6. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    Exactly how long has the McLaren been on the market? What type of track record does it have with regard to reliability and maintenance? Exactly how often will you be testing how much faster the McLaren is than other cars on you're driving next to on the road?

Get the Ferrari.

7. trev0006

trev0006 Karting
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2004
    All these new exotics are very close in performance, only a pro driver can notice the difference at a track and get minimal gains over the other. Now driving pleasure is a totally different ball game and is a matter of opinion. Buy the one that is most fun to drive.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #8 TheMayor, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
    Faster?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8EAYPssUzg[/ame]

More sportscar?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r_nQX_mOAg[/ame]

9. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    As the videos above show... How can you be in the market for such a massive purchase yet have done so little research?

10. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    You can go on and on about being faster all day long. When super cars all do 200 mph and hit 60 in the 3 second range it's all about which car stirs the senses.

And that's what Ferrari is all about.

11. cridom60

cridom60 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    dominique
    clear and interresting statement: Forza Ferrari, and would be very interrested by the stradale/scuderia 458!

12. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    It's called deeeenial!

13. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    +1!!

14. 65 f.i.

65 f.i. Karting

Feb 10, 2008
    Santa Barbara, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Realizing how things can be misunderstood and/or not communicating properly:

"I have been captivated by a White 458 I noticed on e-bay; contemplated ordering new; considered waiting for the convertible; questioned the value and integrity of..."

I didn't know of the pending Scuderia until yesterday.

Regardless, the question was: "Anyone have any insight on price, performance comparisons, etc.?"

I ask this due to wanting my cake (a Ferrari) and wanting to eat it too (go for the performance as well). If the 458 is a lesser performing car the McLaren, the McLaren may be worth consideration. Note: the dealership sells both.

15. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    This post might as well be titled "Mclaren vs. Puff the Magic Dragon". It's totally vacuous.

16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    McLaren = MCCheater Team.

Not interested.

Forza Ferrari.

17. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    well, if we're going that route, can I chime in and say McLaren/Hamilton = No Thanks!

18. 65 f.i.

65 f.i. Karting

Feb 10, 2008
    Santa Barbara, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Guys, Part of a research project is to consult those in the know. I had thought, given the dedication of many of the participates in this forum, someone may be able to extrapolate the performance of the projected Scuderia. Having always been captivated by the visceral qualities of such cars and now being in a position to actually purchase, I am beginning the research process. If you have nothing better to contribute than criticism and that is what floats your boat well then........

19. 986986

986986 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 8, 2007
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Matt
    uhmmm, because Ferrari have always been exemplary in the rule book stakes ...cough

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, maybe if you did a little more research before making your claims of the Mac being superior, you might have gotten the answer you were looking for.

Let's just get to the point. LDM has said Ferrari is NOT MAKING a Scuderia version of the Italia. We all think that's BS but that's the official statement from the top. So, asking about this car when no one has any knowledge of it and the company denies it's even considering making one seems like a rather pointless discussion.

21. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    you were bound to get irked remarks...because...quick basic research would've yielded: the 458 is NOT a lesser performing car than the McL. So you CAN have your cake and eat it too...AND do it in the here and now. then, in 3-4 years time, trade up to the "Scud/CS" version. get the 458, enjoy the heck out of it. life is short, and well...ya never know...

22. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    I don't think it's 'irked' remarks nor criticism, more that there is an intriguing dichotomy at the centre of this thread. The OP demands more performance than the standard 458 offers, a car who's own envelope is well beyond the probing of most drivers. Yet he is not sufficiently engaged to have read any or all the comparison road tests currently doing the rounds, nor even the several threads here referring to those tests which, within just a few posts, clearly paint a picture of the McLaren falling well short of the 458. I've always regarded a Ferrari as a purchase of passion, and passion usually drives a person to immerse themselves in a subject. Just seems like an odd way to be heading into a purchase that is significant for all but the über rich.

Buy the 458 now.

23. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #23 isuk, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The FIAT Investor day presentation last year confirmed it is coming in 2013.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    A stripped down version of the 458 is coming and is expected to be shown to perspective customers early next year with production and deliveries scheduled for late 2012. From what I have been told it is expected to be 'as close to a challenge car as is possible' whilst retaining the bare minimum requirements for it to be street legal (ie even more stripped down than the current Scud). It will not be everyone's cup of tea from a creature comforts viewpoint.

25. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Pretty much, then, other than for track use a car to take out for a quick blast and then put away rather than actually going anywhere in it.