458 Italia vs McLaren MP4 Blighty - The UK press decides | Page 39 | FerrariChat

458 Italia vs McLaren MP4 Blighty - The UK press decides

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JazzyO, Jun 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Thats what I was going to add, my guess is with the average person behind the wheel the 458 will be quicker. I think the real problem was the car was over hyped, even at the event down here, most of the presentation was spent telling the audience how super the McLaren was.

Boils down to on paper spec seemingly not translating into real world driving pleasure.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #952 TheMayor, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
    That guy should ask for his money back. I guess the Porsche that also beat them was rigged too.

What slime balls. I wonder how dealers who handle both brands like this kind of crap.

I would ask the dealer this: if every person in the Britsh press said that the 458 was a better car, would you also give me my money back??? Because it makes little difference what goes around quicker. What does matter is how you feel
    about it. And no amount of "rigging" could make the press select the 458 as the superior car.

I can respect the car McLaren makes. I cannot respect these kinds of sales tactics. This would not be a company I would like to associate with.

3. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    +1

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #954 TheMayor, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
    I think we should email every Ferrari dealer that also handles McLaren that they should tell the guys in Woking to stop bad mouthing Ferrari in a backdoor whispering campaign.

If you want to win, make a better car at a better price. But don't tear down your competitor with viscous rumors and take the British auto journalists with it.

McLaren needs to apologise -- and grow up

5. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    If I had a deposit in I might be asking for an official explanation from McLaren as to why the promise I was pre-sold the car on has not been delivered rather than getting all fanboy defensive.

6. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    Are there any dealers around selling both brands?

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think there are 3 in the US.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Lake Forest Sport Car in Illinois and Miller Motorcars in Connecticut will sell both.

9. Ulmis

Ulmis Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2005
    Bwahahahahaha,

Anyway, getting serious, these brits are some poor losers

10. jacinto jardine

jacinto jardine Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2011
    australia
    Full Name:
    Fly 458
    make that a 13 week course with the final week devoted to low morale management.

11. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Lol!

12. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    That ends the argument, innuendos and gossip, to my mind at least.

13. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    It's funny how certain things are forgotten isn't it?

14. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Indeed it is. haha

15. mva

mva Karting

Oct 7, 2004
    Seems like McLaren found and excuse for losing Fifth comparison as well. After suspension malfunction (which clearly wasn´t the case after another lap by Ben Collins with a fixed car), Ferrari tuning (naming exactly 12 mods including engine parts, they seem to disassembled Ferrari press car :) , also customer 458 have been clocked faster than those Ferrari press cars) now journalists are to blame - they damaged the car while turning TC off, car was completely broken, even gearchange didn´t work properly. :)

"According to McLaren the Fifth Gear team tampered with the car to switch off all electronic aids. In the words of a senior McLaren person at the Manchester opening they broke the car. The gear changes were affected as the on board computers were trying to avoid a crash. They have admitted to being naive and have gone back to Fifth Gear with a new car and it lapped quicker than the 2011 458. How we will get to see this from Fifth Gear I don't know."

16. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Sounds like the fanboys are working overtime on the excuses machine...

17. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    When has it ever been this bad?? It's literally like being in grade school again... All this from people who still don't have their cars! And who were blatantly lied to! McLaren is looking less and less respectable every day. So far it has been a big mistake to try and become a manufacturer

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #968 TheMayor, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    Blah, Blah, Bah. Bla-blah-bla bah. Blah blah blah blah blah.... it's everyone else's fault and Ferrari cheats...blah.

I honestly could care less. I'll say this again for the 50th time.

If everyone judged the Mac was faster, I'd still buy the 458.

But if the Mac can't match the 458 in the tests, everyone accuses Ferrari of cheating or second guesses their decision to buy one.

19. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    What I want to know is why the car will break itself if you turn off traction control... Or why it thinks it is crashing if TC is not on. Why would they not design a simple system like Ferrari has? Boom turn a switch, job done.

It's like anything, excuses only make your failing product look worse

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Warning label they just ordered to put the dash:

WARNING: Do not turn off the traction control or you may break the car.

21. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    With a picture of Ron scowling

22. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Doesn't seem all that unlikely. The Mac handled REALLY bad in the hands of Tiff and Jason.

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ron smiling looks pretty much the same as Ron scowling. :)

24. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    quick review :

- MP4-12C performs quite poorly in CAR comparison. Ben Collins (ex Stig) states one reason : he can't turn traction control off. McLaren responds with : YES, you can turn traction control off (i'm sure i read that response, i'll find it if necessary), but furthermore test car was broken ... suspension failure, excessive body roll, premature abs intervention, etc (all of which went un-noticed, miraculously, by the Stig). Oh, and of course, Ferrari cheated (presumably Porsche and Lambo cheated too, as they both posted laptimes better than the McLaren).

- MP4-12C performs quite poorly in FIFTH GEAR test. Tiff complains of trying to do things the car "won't let him", and even with traction control turned off, brake steer and torque reduction intervene at the wrong times to send him off the track. McLaren responds that, when Tiff & Jason turned off traction control, they broke the car. Oh, and of course, Ferrari cheated.

So the Stig's problem was : he left traction control ON. Tiff & Jason's problem? Yep, you guessed it : they turned traction control OFF.

Oh, and Ferrari cheats.

25. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Translation: Don't look at the car, you'll break it.

And Ferrari cheats.