458 Italia vs McLaren MP4 Blighty - The UK press decides | Page 44 | FerrariChat

458 Italia vs McLaren MP4 Blighty - The UK press decides

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JazzyO, Jun 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. solowmodel

solowmodel Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2009
    Seoul, London, VA
    Full Name:
    WK
    Even a second hand SR3 would be more fun I reckon. There is a huge, huge difference between road cars built for the track and proper track cars.

2. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    +1

I think what we are seeing here is Ferrari being able to "take it on the chin" unlike the McLaren boys. Finally the McLaren has done something positive for itself, but I think it should on a power circuit as well as the track it was developed on.

I don't think there will be any cancelled deposits on any 458s, and I don't think too many Italia owners are upset. As said before, it's a better car by virtue of the fact that it does what you want and is FUN. Thank God for that E-DIFF3

Anyone notice Clarkson wasn't able to slide around with a huge grin on his face like usual? Did he ever have a grin on his face while driving the McLaren?

The funny thing is none of the McLaren's tested can be bought in the showroom as they are all pre-production examples. I'm wondering when any will actually be ready!!

I have to say that the McLaren Orange with those wheels looks really good. If I were ever to spec one that would be the way, definitely suits the lines of the car. Again, it looked good

3. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    http://www.gtspirit.com/2011/07/09/t...-17-episode-3/

In case you wondered what happened to the Jeremy Clarkson review of the McLaren MP4-12C that was promised for the second episode, well they probably needed some time to make a new one or re-edit it to exceed Fifth Gear’s test of the McLaren MP4-12C versus the Ferrari 458 Italia. Not surprisingly the Top Gear review in Episode 3 of Season 17 features the exact same cars and venue: the Ferrari 458 Italia vs the McLaren MP4-12C at the Top Gear test track.

Probably did some work ? Who knows? Maybe they did maybe they didn't but the good news is that McLaren's depositors will feel better. At least we have one good show to brag about but my deposit is still out on this. I think the 458 is still a lot prettier and more elegant even if it is 10 s slower. I will never drive on that track anyway. A Ferrari is a Ferrari. That's it for me.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    In a nutshell, fast doesn't always mean fun.

Anyone who doesn't understand that has never driven a 246 Dino.

5. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    Agree, x 2. Jobs is miles ahead of Ron in his own Universe in that he not only cares about perfection and engineering, he also understands human passions and fuses the two features of a product, engineering versus style. Android does leave you a little bit cold but that's just me. There's also a reason why everyone says the MP4-12c is designed using a simulator leaving you very cold. It is no doubt an engineering marvel but for the money we pay, it is happy money and it is an emotional purchase. We do want something that gives us a cabin that doesn't look like a complete rip from a UFO. The interior cabin of the MP4 is very advanced yet leaving you a UFO feeling. It is a great car and super rapid no doubt.

6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I've been reading...and reading...and reading...this thread...good fun.

But sheesh...of course we knew the Mp4 yada yada would eventually beat the 458 on some track somewhere...I was actually surprised the 458 beat it on any track...for me, as many others have said here and yet others have disagreed with...this all elicits an enormous "WHATEVER" from me...

These cars are crazy fast. Way faster than virtually anyone posting in this thread will ever make them go. For goodnesakes X% (90%?) of the posters on this board won't even take their cars to the track, let alone buy a car that has been driven anywhere near it capability by a prior owne...So...why does this possibily matter? Pick the one you want. Or get both if you have the means and collect sports cars. All good and cool stuff to my eye.

This 'who beat who' and by 'how many tenths' reeks of school yard baggery...I left that behind 25 years ago when I stopped arguing with my friends over Mustang vs. Camaro at the prom...now I want much more in my $250k++ sports cars...

7. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    #1082 andy c, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
    Bedlp,a small correction,the only atom that can beat a 12c and a 458 is £150k ltd production of 20,everything else you say is fair,id rather pay a further £20k to use it all the time

8. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    luque,you are so adamant with tiny facts,why didnt you spot the atom mistake?

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Ah! But what about the FUN? :)

My point is that there's a lot of ways to go around the track fast. It's not how fast you go around the track that counts. It's how much you enjoy doing it.

10. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    Im from the porsche side of the discussion,so we will always agree to disagree,had everything bar a CGT,which was nearly my next car,and ive always had fun,pleased we can both enjoy our cars for what they are.
    PS.i know ,i know,the CGT has Wonderful sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    Bdelp was ironic about Atom.
    The Atom is not a sport Gran Turismo as 458 or MP4 are so if I want a track toy, I will look for a Radical and trailer to bring it on track.
    Andy do you have sense of humor ? I suppose you are english.
    Seriously it seems that MP4 performance is a matter of life and death for you.
    Instead I get angry when someone accuses others of cheating without any proofs at all.
    If McLaren designed and produced a better and faster car than Ferrari, It is welcome.

12. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    #1087 andy c, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
    yes,im english,look at my posts,i try to give a sense of humour,and as a matter of life and death,look at your own posts on fastestlaps,never seen anyone fight so hard,now the tide has turned somewhat.porsche is my thing, its just that mclaren is one step ahead,i will still keep several of those (porsche) ,i dont feel the need to dedicate my life to one brand,it is what it is.
    ps are you the luque on mclarenlife ,because if you are you have a different stance there?

13. funkstar

funkstar Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    Agree with every point there.

1) In orange it did look awesome - maybe I'm alone but I think it looks as good as the Italia. And the interior, wow that looks perfect.

2) Not only was Clarkson not sliding it, did you see how smooth the lap was - it's as though it's been set up like an F1 car with the sole aim of a fast lap time, a bit of understeer and snap oversteer! reinforced by the stupid rigmarole required when you wish to turn the traction control off.

3) I would say personally that the McLaren was a ringer, in fact Clarkson admitted McLaren were still tweaking the settings, and given the 5th Gear review I wouldn't let anything other than a super fast, perfect track weapon go out to Clarkson on the worlds most watched TV show.

4) The McLaren should be faster on its home circuit. Any chance that they even put one of the F1 boys in the famous white overalls to ensure a super fast time - after all it beat the Gumpert and Veyron SS!!!! How about Dario or Schumi driving an Italia at home, bet it would be a reversal of positions.

5) I'm glad McLaren have come back fighting (ringer or not). If it means Ferrari and Lamborghini continue to be pushed into developing amazing vehicles then strong competition from the likes of McLaren can only be positive for all parties and the end consumer.

14. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy

My english is not so good as yours but I think you can understand the sense of my sentence.
    I get angry whit peole living in denial or accusing people without any evidence.
    When you start to explain, to analyze datas and from other side you have only a whicked soccer fun covering of s**t his rivals, than I fight.
    I accept any kind of opinion when well supported.
    I have not account in McLaren forum, I chekcked also there is no Luque in member list

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  16. mcman

mcman Rookie

Jul 19, 2007
    sadly - yes. But I wouldn't worry, since every 458 has a soul even aborted ones will go to heaven, so that's good...

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Very fast lap time for the Mclaren. But Clarkson says they developed the car over that track? Is that true?

18. funkstar

funkstar Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    Yes

19. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    Posted in the Mc Laren Forum by our Friend Andy.
    Now there is the ride height debate.
    No comment

20. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Clutching, desperately grasping for something, ANYTHING are our McLaren friends. Oh dear :D:rolleyes:

21. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That is interesting. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

22. Ulmis

Ulmis Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2005

Damn those brits are poor losers and they make aholes out of themsleves

Joke aside, those guys are pathethic, they are the ones with the smoking gun yet they yell robbery

So british of them.....wankers

23. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Excuse me... that seems to be an unfair characterisation of the British in general.

Regards,
    Andrew.

24. Ulmis

Ulmis Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2005
    Sorry for the misunderstanding but it wasn`t targeted to the Brits in general (after all it was a brit who warned Ferrari about some F1 manual in Macca`s possesion)

The target is the stuck up british motoring establishment, be it car producers or more than biased press when it comes to ANYTHING italian made.

Best