Testa Rossa or 328?? | FerrariChat

Testa Rossa or 328??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FDJake, Jul 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FDJake

FDJake Rookie

Jul 27, 2011
    #1 FDJake, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
    I'm new to the Ferrari world.....I've had Porsche's, Viper's, Jag's, & Cobra's, ect and would like a good used Ferrari with a manual trans. I see that 328's tend to go between $50K-$60K and for that kind of money a Testa Rossa also becomes an option.

What do you think assuming both cars are in the same condition?

Pro's and Con's 328 or Testa Rossa????

Thanks

2. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #2 DennisForza, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
    A Testa Rossa is exponentially out of the price range of a 328, but a Testarossa is only a bit more. ;) Both are good cars if the previous owners have taken a little care of them. TR's repair bills will be a bit higher, but really it comes down to a matter of taste in my opinion.

3. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    We all know he didn't mean the Testa Rossa of the late 50s. Give him a break.

Note - production numbers about the same.

Testarossa

Advantages - much more powerful, more flexible engine. A rare V12 in a world of V8s (and 6s and 4s). Top of the line model - nicer interior. Greater appreciation potential in the long run.

Disadvanbtages - wideeee. Heavy. Not appreciated at this time. Somewhat higher repair and maintenance costs.

Advantages: more nimble. More fun to drive on tight roads. Better steering. Lower maintenance and insurance.

Disadvantages: Engine more higly stressed - won't last as long.

I would spring for a 512 TR.

4. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Look at how you'll be driving it.

If you do a lot of freeway driving and wide sweeping high speed roads, go for the more powerful TR.
    If you do a lot of driving on tighter, lower speed roads, go for the more nimble 328.

A TR in the city would never get to stretch its legs.

And there isn't a GTS version of the TR.
    (You wouldn't want 70 MPH wind in your hair anyway. ;))

5. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Also depends on the your body size and whether you'll actually fit inside one. The testarossa is an iconic 80's car. The 328 body style has aged better, imho. While they are similarly price, a major on a testarossa will set you back a lot more money. As others have mentioned, it's hard to find a mid-engine 12-cyl any more. Your test drive will tell you which one you should buy.

Ace

6. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I LOL'ed

:D:D

Jedi

7. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    This isn't the case, these engines will rev happy until the cows come home.

The Testarossa is more fun on any roads, I had both and drove each daily for a decade or so.

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

A Testarossa says hey stupid, this is a freeking Ferrari. A 328 says, hey take a look at the badges and see if you can figure out what it is.

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Badges? (Shields?)..... my 328 will NEVER need no stinking badges!!!!

:D:D

Jedi

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Remember that, in general: 50% more cylinders = 50% higher costs, and that goes across the board: gas, service, insurance, registration, etc.

Wide? I once followed a TR on a winding portion of US-64 in eastern Tennessee, and visually it looked like I was following a "duelie" pickup! The rump of that car nearly filled the entire lane.

Of course, for about the same price as a TR, you can probably find a decent F355, which (if in good shape) would probably be better in the long run than either the TR or the 328.

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Of the two dozen or so Ferraris I've driven, nothing threatened to overload my senses like the Testarossa. The gearbox is like a tempestuous woman; one who dare not be mistreated. But once she warms up to you, she'll demand that you throw her up against the wall, pulling her hair with each heavy-breathed thrust. She'll push back against you, making sure everything you do is swift in its deliberateness.

And that's just the gearbox!

The ultimate driving experience in your price range is the Testarossa. And I have first-hand experience watching a woman toss a TR into a tight corner, slamming the shifter into fourth on the apex exit and accelerating out, so don't let that big ass fool you (on the car or a woman)!

12. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Persactly!
    (perfect+exactly)

Here's my wife driving our TR...fun stuff

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEOpMkEUqUA[/ame]

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    a 328, so Carbon won't fantasize about it.

14. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George

15. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    congratulations; i love, how you did that movie. can you recommend a program, that you have used?

regards--e

16. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
  17. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    I ran 512TR and 328 Koenig for a while...then moved on to 360 and back to 355 and now 575... So, I must say that Testarossa isn't that wide. It's about the same as 360. The problem is the different in width between the front and the rear. But you will get used to it soon and will automatically compensate for the different during driving with no problem. However, parking is still a bit more difficult in the Testarossa and 328...

328 is very nimble and fun to drive in term of handling on the smaller road. But nothing is like flooring the gas on that big flat12 and have the 747-like take off hitting your body. It's smooth and powerful enough to still make you squeal.

Both cars are great in their own way and that's why you should get both... but if you are going to just buy one....why not go for the big flat 12... ???

18. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    When you're driving a TR, you just feel like you getting more more Ferrari for the buck. 3-point turns and driving through parking lots are guaranteed to workout your arms. TR's also have a nasty blind spot with that rear/right sail panel. A convex mirror on the side mirror should put you at ease when making right turn lane changes.

Drive both, form your own opinion. Two different Ferrari's with very different driving characteristics. The difference between the TR and the 328 is like driving a beast versus a zippy cornering rocket.

19. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thanks, E! I modified one of the iMovie "trailers" for that video. Not too complex at all.

Rick

20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I like the 328 but I would go for the TR. It is such an iconic car from the 80's. My dad had a 1986 model when it was new and that was the first Ferrari I ever drove. Wow, what a car! It is not that big to maneuver on regular roads, although it would be a tight fit on twisty mountain drives.
    The maintenance costs can be really big, and I have read the differential is prone to cracking, so pick a good one!
    :)
    BT

21. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    testarossa no contest. if you can afford a 512tr that would be the best but they are still pricey.

22. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    My criteria for marriage has now changed. If your wife drives and enjoys the Ferrari as this gentleman's wife obviously does, it would be safe to say, by implication, that said gentleman has "married well" in the very best sense of the term.

23. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thanks Jedi !

I presume you're referring to my wife...yeah, she's a keeper. However, she's cooking up some plan to buy a house which will involve parting with the TR to fund it. New kitchen trumps Ferrari every time it seems. lol.

24. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Nice Vid Rick!!!

PDG

25. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    #25 Duane_Estill, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
    Yes indeed sir, and in the most respectful manner. I was dating a wonderful woman at one point, we were driving around in my red X1/9 and she asked "If we get married can I drive this one?" I hesitantly said "errr...sure." That might be a more sensitive quesiton if a Ferrari were involved, haven't graduated to F-cars yet. I think kitchens ARE Ferraris for a woman that has her house well at hand.....so. Perhaps the TR won't have to go.