TPMO - Tire pressure and temp monitor | FerrariChat

TPMO - Tire pressure and temp monitor

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by abz, Aug 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    Does anyone know exactly how this "electronic system" actually works? How is the pressure and temp continuously monitored? Is the system reliable and accurate? Curious, what is the cost?

2. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Well it doesn't cost you anything if you are in the USA, since it is a federal mandated law that the NHTSA requires a tire monitoring devices installed on all new cars (since 2008 i believe).

As far as how its done, there is a sensor attached to your valve stem that communicates wirelessly with your car that tells it the current pressure inside the tire and im assuming they have incorporated a temp sensor to do the same.

3. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    I love using it in my 458. well worth it.

4. fuse

fuse Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2004
    It seems to be continuous. I put a a pump on it and watched it and it changes 1 lb at a time, although I can't tell how often it updates, since I am using a small portable pump...quite slow.

I did notice that the 458 read 3 lbs lower than both of my tire pressure monitors. A 45 lbs max and a 60 lbs max. Not to say that my monitors are reading accurately.

5. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Cost in Europe is €945 excluding all taxes.

Onno

6. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks everyone. So then it is a standard ferature installed on all 458s in the US. Look forward to checking it out.

7. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    If it is attached to the valve stem, can this easily be removed and reconnected if a tire needs changed, for example?

8. fireplace63

fireplace63 Karting

Jun 18, 2011
    Does that mean if you change the wheels, the system is useless? How does it work? the sensor is attached to the stock wheels? I was told if you plan to change to aftermarket wheels, no point opting for this system.

9. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    It is easily removed by anyone doing your tire change, also you can buy a new set of sensors to put on your new wheels if you plan on having multiple sets of wheels. In fact on most cars if you don't put sensors on your new wheels you will have a warning light on your car

10. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    Very nice to know this information. Thanks.

11. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    It's not clear to me how tire temp is measured. Does anyone really know? A thermocouple in the tire stem wouldn't measure tire surface temp which I assume they are talking about. Who cares what the internal tire air temp is, what you want to know is tire surface temp which racers measure with a pyrometer.

12. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    Agree, it would be interesting to know the details of how this works. Perhaps there is a direct correlation between the inside air temp and the rubber temp.

13. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    For those that have the TMPO, is it just as easy to add air to the tire whether you have this system or not?

14. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    The sensor is on the inside of the tire, your valve stem looks no different and acts no differently than any regular car tire valve stem.