Michelin Super Sports | FerrariChat

Michelin Super Sports

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Street&Track, Aug 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Finally got my hands on a set of Super Sports. My car was a January build and came with Bridgestones. Can someone who's car came with Super Sports check and see what they are supposed to be inflated too.

My Bridgestones were 33 lbs all the way around, but I am guessing the SS are different.

2. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Its what is on the sticker on your car. Load ratings for most performance tires are the same and can be inflated very high, but it just depends what each car says. If you open your drivers side door, there should be a sticker that has your vin and the load ratings and PSI levels your tires should be inflated to.

3. Street&Track

Nov 10, 2003
    #3 Street&Track, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
    Yes, I know about the sticker on the door jam, 33 PSI is what the Bridgestones are to be inflated at according to my sticker. Unfortunately, with modern Ferraris each tire manufacturer has a different set of inflation recommendations. Their were 3 different recommendations with the 355, and my 430.

And since some of the newer 458 owners have taken delivery of their cars in the last couple of months and have Super Sports on their cars, I was hoping some one cound take a peek at their Michelin Super Sport Sticker on their door jam.

The brand and model number of the tire you get with your car will each have a specific sticker on the inside of the door jam just for that tire.

For example on the 458
    Bridgestone
    Pirelli
    Michelin

NewsFlash
    I am hearing that the Michelin Super Sports are 30 psi front and 29 psi rear, unless someone else has a different sticker, thanks Clockem:)

4. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Thats so odd, because the only difference i can think of would be the sidewall shape and rigidity. How does the TPMO handle the variance between all the different specs they choose to run with different brands? Or is the margin of error on those enough that a 3 psi variance doesn't effect it?

5. Street&Track

Nov 10, 2003
    Now even I am confused:)

Not sure that the TPMO has anything to do with what you set the PSI at except that it just reports the PSI you put in and keeps reporting as PSI and tempature change.

TPMO system does not have to deal with any variances between the different tire recommendations, it just reports them:)

And our job is to keep the PSI as close as we can to the PSI numbers on the sticker that comes with each car and OEM tire set, that is until you switch OEM tires like I did:)

6. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Not exactly it reports it and it will throw a warning if the pressure is too low, like on a friends jeep SRT8 it throws it at 32psi in my X5M it throws it at 29 psi, my lotus was at 31psi (till the tires got hot on the track lol).

So to me a 3psi variance is huge regarding TPMO, because if the Michelin is at 29psi in the rear and the bridgestones are at 33 psi that leaves a 4psi difference and a 3psi difference up front.

So lets create a hypothetical situation which i find highly unlikely. Each TPMO is calibrated specifically for the specific tire brand it came with. So lets say your car came with Bridegstones that are set at 33psi and the low tire warning came on at 29psi (4 pounds is a lot of air to lose for street driving especially at such a low PSI to start with). You go and put the Michelin SS which the rears are supposed to be set 29psi , that would mean your TPMO would be throwing a warning constantly unless of course you can 1) reset the values (which all of monitors allow you to do so) 2) reset the values to account for the different tires.

Just because im a skeptic, i'd be interested in seeing pictures of peoples door jam stickers and them reporting what tires their car came with when ordered.

7. Street&Track

Nov 10, 2003
    Or you can look in your manual, page 31 and see the listing of all three OEM tires. Bridgestones are at 33.36 all the way around and Michelins and Pirellis as at 30.46 front and 29 rear.

I was just checking to see if the SuperSports were the same as the Pilot PS2s that came on the 458 before they switched at the factory to Super Sports, turns out they are. I didn't want to assume they were since I was going to Road America this weekend and I might get over a 100 a few times........I mean 200:)

8. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Well track temps are a totally other ball game!!! Don't forget to check them after a few laps and lower them!!

9. yimn

yimn Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Nick Yim
    Mind sharing where you got the ss tires? Tire rack does not have size for 458 yet. Thx

10. Street&Track

Nov 10, 2003
    I got them from Discount Tire in Indianapolis. But I talked to Tire Rack on Monday of last week and they said they were going to get a shipment, some where between Friday the 5th at the earliest but certainly before Monday the 15th.

Guys, I am at Road America and I can say without a doubt these tires are the best I have had on the 458 for sure:)