TPMS Failure - 575 | FerrariChat

TPMS Failure - 575

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by DariusSadeghi, Aug 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DariusSadeghi

DariusSadeghi Rookie

Aug 13, 2005
    Carmel, CA.
    A yellow "SERVICE" light comes on 10min after driving that shares the same readout display as the ambient temp, clock and each wheel's tire pressure. To remedy this, I have used the TPMS reprogram button the owner's handbook recommends and have removed each wheel and reattached them. But, the "SERVICE" light still comes on. Is anyone familiar with how I may override this or is this something that an SD2 will have to correct? Thanks so much for your feedback. DS

2. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    Sounds "classic" TPMS symptoms and pretty much what I went through this year. The batteries are probably starting to fail on the TPMS sensors in the wheels. Need changing.
    PAUL

3. DariusSadeghi

DariusSadeghi Rookie

Aug 13, 2005
    Carmel, CA.
    Thanks Paul. Sounds like only one of four batteries have to fail to trip the system? DS

4. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    You should probably change all the sensors as their shelf life is similar and when 1 goes they will all fail shortly after. A SD11 will be able to give you the signal strengths for each sensor.

Cheers

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Or don't change the sensors and have an SD2 turn the system off

6. ROCKY1634

ROCKY1634 Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    had the same problem with the TPMS system in my 575, was told by ferrari that the system could not be turned off, as a result the warning indicator is always on. tried twice to get the sensors to work to no avail, so now i just live with the warning indicator.

7. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Rocky – Not sure if you have the right mechanic for your car. The TPMS can definitively be turned off on a 575M. I have 19 inch rims with TPMS for summer and 18 inch rims for winter without TPMS. When my Ferrari mechanic changes rims, he also enables/disables the TPMS. In summer I see the tire pressure where in winter there is just the clock and the temperature but no tire pressure. No warning light then. It takes the mechanic a few seconds to switch the system on/off with his SD2 (or whatever he uses).

Markus

8. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    When the TPMS is disabled you get a warning/ service light on the dash when you start the car. Annoying .

Cheers

9. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    575 - Not on my car. When my mechanic disables the TPMS there is no warning on the dash or anything similar. It is just as when the car had no TPMS at all.

Markus

10. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    I was just thinking about the TPMS again: Either your mechanic does not know how to really disable the TPMS or it might also be that the EU and US/Australia specs are different. I have an EU car and my tech can disable the TPMS without showing any message on the dash but it might be that in US cars you are not allowed to disable the TPMS without showing a warning message.

Markus

11. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    Yep!
    Suggest you change them all as suggested by 575. Otherwise you will mess around for weeks like I did, calibrating the TPMS everytime I start the car, only for a warning to appear either during the drive or the next time I start the car.
    I had them all changed and no messing since.
    PAUL

12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    UK too

13. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    My car is ia UK spec car and there is definitly a warning light which comes on when the car is started. Not sure about the different spec ECU on US cars .

The TPMS are not too expensive and can be changed by any competent tyre place . Just be sure to get the serial number off each sensor and write down the correct position it has been fitted to on the car as you will need to enter these details into the SD11 for the initial calibration setup of the new TPMS.

Cheers

14. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Tire Rack has direct replacement TPMS that are much cheaper then replacemrnts from Ferrari
    If you do a search on here you can read more about this in detail

15. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Had mine TPMS switched off with SD2 at the ferrari dealer last year. No warning sign at all when starting the car.

16. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Greetings

Certainly 2002 575's cannot have the TPMS system warning lights switched off by an SD2. At some point (2003/4?) Ferrari changed the system and allowed this turn off with an SD2.

I replaced all my sensors, as per my thread, and has worked fine since. Low TPMS batteries seem to throw an interesting collection of error messages at times ... and not always logical :)

Philip C

17. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    I had my 2004 switched off for a while before I replaced the sensors. I did that as I wanted to wait until I needed new shoes and did not want to take the tires off the rims just for the sensors. As I recall, there was no warning when disabled. Curious point Philip makes, I was not aware of that. My guys were able to put on the replacements from Tire Rack at a fraction of the cost of the factory part cost.

Like any warning on the dash, black electrical tape cures it all :)

18. DariusSadeghi

DariusSadeghi Rookie

Aug 13, 2005
    Carmel, CA.
    Thanks Gentlemen for responding to my thread. Just had an SD2 disable the TPMS and both "SERVICE" and "TEMP OFF" yellow lights are absent at start up and running modes. When I scroll thru to TPMS, all I see are 0 values for ea corner - which is ok with me. For $1,800 all sensors could have been replaced with labor incl. A good pressure gauge in the trunk is fine.

19. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    When it comes time to replace your tires, just slap on a set of monitors from tire rack if that is where you order tires. crazy cheap compared to the factory prices and the sd2 can switch em back on if you want. That was the route I took and never looked back.

20. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Hmm... so according to the above comment, 2002 car can't switch off the TPMS?? No wonder the mechanic I sent the car to looked totally confused when I told him that SDII can turn it off. He tried several times just to have the warning comes back on.

Is there any other way to get rid of the warning light??? I checked my tire pressure regularly anyhow and do not see the point of TPMS...

21. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Pong – That’s where the black electrical tape on the dash comes into play (as fou mentioned) ;)

Markus

22. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Guys...for some reason or other, the mechanic did turn it off on my '02 575!!! I didn't see him before I leave the shop yesterday so I can't tell you guys how he did it. But the TPMS is off on my car now and the clock is working fine... Let's see if it stays this way...ha ha ha.