I am being told that Silver or Gray are NOT the colors to buy? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I am being told that Silver or Gray are NOT the colors to buy?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dogdoc97, Sep 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The salesman is incorrect. Especially on the newer cars, metallics are all pretty close in pricing on resale and I think they look great! The dark gray with a red interior is just awesome. Get what you like, and pay close attention to the condition of the car.
    :)
    BT

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Silver or titanium on a 550 looks great as it resembles a shark. Having said that, those colors will barely get noticed. A red 550 all detailed will really make a statement if that matters at all to you. Black's a hassle.

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Wow Tillman, thats all I can say, that is probably one of the most perfect 328's I have ever seen.

4. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Agreed. In the end I don't think any colors besides red and to a lesser extent yellow bump up resale value.

5. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    #30 canadianferrarista, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#31 dm_n_stuff, Sep 1, 2011
  7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    That is beautiful, Dave.

8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Grazie

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Heed the mans advise. He clearly knows what he's talking about. Never ever buy a Vintage Ferrari in any color other than red.

10. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I love the 550/575 in the more subtle colors. But unless I was trading cars frequently, I plan on buying the combo I want. Which will be silver/gray or blue when it's that time.

11. SmokinFast

SmokinFast Karting

Oct 7, 2008
    Louisville
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #36 SmokinFast, Sep 1, 2011
    OK. I have to weigh in here...

Buy the color that you like. IMO silver/gray are great colors on a Ferrari. Granted, they may not be the most popular, but that color shows very well on Ferrari. Yes, I am biased as I have a Grigio 360. I also have a black M3 and while nothing looks better than a polished/waxed black car, it almost isn't worth the effort to fight the losing battle to keep the car looking good. Buy the color that puts a smile on your face.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Mikey P

Mikey P Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    San Ramon, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Ponte
    #37 Mikey P, Sep 2, 2011
  13. travanx

travanx Karting

Apr 5, 2008
    Downtown Los Angeles
    Why would you buy a car with that car's color based on resale value? There seems to be a lot better things to think about, especially if this is the reason on selecting your next car. Expensive cars holding value more based on a color???

I watched a lot of very expensive cars do mountain runs in the rain, which in some people's views is insane. Have fun!

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Why buy the car for someone else?

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I love ALL these colours!! :):)

16. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#41 dm_n_stuff, Sep 2, 2011
    This is probably the only paint job that would negatively effect resale price. :eek:

On a more serious note, if it effects resale price, then when you buy it you pay less, when you sell it for a little less, the delta is the same as a more expensive red/tan car.

And hard to sell? My car is an off color and I've had several inquiries about it and a couple decent offers in the past week, so . . .

Pffft. :D

D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Dog,

Nothing to worry about. Buy whatever color YOU like.
    Once you get your 550 and get it fully sorted out, you'll never sell it anyway! :)

18. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I disagree with this 1000%.

White and silver Ferraris are SICKKKKKKK with Red leather!!!!

19. s2mikey

s2mikey Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Upstate, New York
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    If your goal or major concern is resale then dont even bother. Cars are for driving. Buy the color you want and rack up the miles. Dont let all the *investment bankers* here or anywhere else tell you to buy a red car and keep the miles extremely low. Im so tired of supposed car enthusiasts with these exotics that never get driven.

Silver is sweet anyways.....

20. JCM615

JCM615 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2005
    Knoxville,Tn
    Full Name:
    J C
    2nd Fcar was a Grigio 348. Sold for top book money in less than a week. This was, admittedly,in the 90's however I've had "off" color cars ever since. Even a slight variation, such as my current Rosso Fiorano, seems to garner more compliments than Corsa ever did. ! Bet the fella' who offered this advice had neither color for sale, or had a red one aging in his inventory.
    It's a toy, one of life's best ones. It's not a "follow the herd" kinda' car. Don't seek design advice on this decision, only mechanical. ;) Now go purchase the most gorgeous one you see!
    BTW, some stunning pics preceded this post, better proof of the point than any of my little words.

21. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Buy what you love. Drive it. Expect to lose money. Whose money is it, after all, and who is it for?

Spill-Chick well insure itch weird U right's spilled property.

_

22. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Top car colors
    in North America
    1. Silver
    2. Black
    3. White
    4. Red
    5. Blue
    6. Green
    7. Gray
    8. Beige
    9. Gold
    10. Bronze

I just don't consider the first 3 as colors. Not a head turner for me but just my taste. Then again the last 4 don't fall into my likes either. Funny there is no yellow.

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    With all do respect, your salesman is an IDIOT if he really believes that.

Sure, some colors sell "better" than others. But, there's also a LOT MORE OF THEM out there to choose from. So, if you don't want a red or black car (and a lot of people don't), then they have a smaller choice of cars on the market.

He's looking at velocity of sales. He's not looking at actual preferences inside the market.

It's not the color that makes the resale. It's it's popularity vs the number of cars available.

Now, personally... I think gray looks like primer. Silver however is amazing. But, that's not important. What's important is that you buy what YOU want, not what the dealer tells you.

I can also say that color can be negatively influenced by the interior choices. You need to keep that in mind. Some combo's are really horrible. I won't go into details here but you know them when you see them!

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That list may be true.... but that's ALL cars. When was the last time you saw an SUV in Red?

Sports cars tend to go to brighter, flashier colors. Not all... but there is a large swing to the more outrageous.

25. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    You guys like that? dog