Ferraris en Venezuela - Branko remembered July 2, 2011 | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Ferraris en Venezuela - Branko remembered July 2, 2011

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Aardy, Nov 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alsaautomotive

alsaautomotive Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2005
    Wales, UK.
    Full Name:
    Al
    Terribly sad news.
    I had no correspondence with him, just enjoyed his always informative & frequently questioning posts.
    Condolences to all his nearest & dearest.
    Al.

2. CarterHendricks

Sep 26, 2005
    I am very sorry to learn of the death of my friend Branko.

My first message to Branko was a question. In the background of a photo of a Ferrari that he posted here was an Alfa Romeo 1900. I asked him if he had maybe cropped the photo, to remove most of the irrelevant Alfa. He immediately sent me the rest of the photo, and solved the first of many mysteries.

Branko continued to help me understand the history of some of the Lancia Aurelia and Alfa Romeo 1900 race cars that found their way to Venezuela. He was always generous with everything that he learned. He was very proud of Venezuela. It was always fun to ask him questions and read his answers. I wish that I could have come to Venezuela and wish that I had met him in person. I will miss him. He was my friend in Venezuela.

--Carter

3. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #503 Aardy, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. jsalgatti

jsalgatti Karting

Mar 14, 2009
  5. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Just came on this thread. Couldn't believe it at first.All these tributes testify to his contibutions. My files are full of what he has given us.Who will continue his legacy? Hopefully someone in Venezuela.just one man's opinion tongascrew

6. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    Godspeed, dear Branko!

7. Floyd

Floyd Karting

Apr 30, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Jan
    Just read this bad news after holiday.

Did not know him and never communicated with him.

But always enjoyed his posts and was really fascinated about this special histories from South-America (Venezuela).

Very sad news.

My condolences.

Jan

8. jsalgatti

jsalgatti Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    #508 jsalgatti, Aug 3, 2011
    It's been a month since Branko left us, but life goes on as should this thread too...so here is another picture of the rare Scaglietti prototype 0404 at La Trinidad Circuit (Caracas), driven by Raul Dominguez
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. jsalgatti

jsalgatti Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    Send me a PM and I will try to help you

10. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I had many chats with him and have collected much of what he posted on F Chat. Anything you could do to pick up where he left off would be great. There are many unfinished stories about Ferrari in Venezuela in the early days. The Ferrari Monza with the 300SL engine has yet to be resolved as has the 625 Monza wreck. Good luck!! just one man's opinion tongascrew

11. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Very sorry to hear of our friend. He touched many through this fine thread.

May he rest in piece...

12. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Thank you very much for this beautiful picture !! This early Scaglietti spyder is fascinating !!

13. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    I might have missed it in this great thread (and condolences to the family of Branko - sorry I've only just read this thread) but does anyone know the chassis no. of the 250GT (?) that was displayed at the 1954 Salone di Caracas? Thank for any help
    Nathan

14. jsalgatti

jsalgatti Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    Nathan:
    As I have no refference of that Show, can you give us more information about the 1954 Salon de Caracas? All I can tell you is that by that year there were only a few 250 Europa and no official Ferrari dealer.

15. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    I doubt there was a 250 Europa GT in Venezuela already in 1954.

Should be a 250 Europa or may be the Dos Santos's 250 MM PF berlinetta...

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I am deeply saddened to learn of this news today.

I will miss our learned and witty colleague, and his depth of enthusiasm and passion.

My deepest sympathies go to his friends and loved ones in Venezuala and around the world.
    My prayers go out to the comfort of his family.

17. jsalgatti

jsalgatti Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    #517 jsalgatti, Sep 22, 2011
    Hi Aardy:
    You may be correct though barchetta.cc lists 250 Europa PF Coupe 0323EU ('54 Stockholm Salon), sold to Venezuela in 1954 (unconfirmed). There was another 250 Europa PF Coupe 0417GT, sold in 1955 to Fernando Baíz (unconfirmed). Here is one of the few Europa's pictures in Caracas, obtained by Branko from Lino Fayen's widow but don't know the year or place: should be around 1955
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Great pic !! The car pictured looks like the 1954 Stockholm's 250 Europa (see 1954 Ferrari yearbook) so could be very well 0323/EU...

19. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    ... but the seven bars in the grill rather make me think to a 250 Europa GT so could also be 0417GT in 1955...

20. jsalgatti

jsalgatti Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    Forgive me Bernhard, I might have missed your messege but I am glad you went to Venezuela and shot these great pictures; can you tell us the story on them?

21. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    That looks like it was taken at the same time as the photo I saw. The guy with the cap was definitely there, but the note with the photo said 1954.
    Nathan

22. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

#522 ferraripete, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
    oh no. i am so sad to hear this. branko was an amazing historian and so committed to putting vz on the map for its deep ferrari racing history. i had many communications with him as he was assisting me in understanding my family's role in the ownership of several of the significant ferraris, astons and cobras in vz.

rest in peace branko. i will miss your contributions and will cherish the discussions we had. i will miss too, the merry christmas e-mail i could always expect from you. merry christmas branko...i will be thinking of you on the eve.

fondly,

peter brinzey

23. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    The
    The front end of the body of 0323 does not match with the car in this picture particularly the chrome strip arounf the grill which on 0323 is almost non existant. 0414 however looks like a match, not only the chrome grill strip but the bumper and the bumper mounted fog lights. just one man's opinion tongascrew

24. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    See my post #520...

25. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Great, thanks. We have two votes for 0414. just one man's opinion tongascrew