Button better than given credit for | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Button better than given credit for

Discussion in 'F1' started by moretti, Sep 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    We will see in the next few seasons if Lewis CAN in fact change the way he is. Remember, JPM never overcame his hot headed nature. I'm starting to wonder if Jensen was brought in to be a solid number 2 driver on Maclaren but things didn't go as planned, as Jensen is beating Lewis on a consistent basis.

2. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    still hasnt, even in nascar

3. funkstar

funkstar Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    He picks the perfect moment to over take. JB holds this years records for most overtakes by a driver. He is making a much better job of passing people this year than LH or anyone else.

Also, he is so fast in damp/wet conditions. That has to be a real reflection of his talent IMO. The best drivers are always fast in the wet.

4. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    #29 ricksb, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
    You have to factor in that he usually qualifies down the grid a bit which forces him to make more passes in a faster car. He has the second fastest car on the grid, so you'd think he'd be able to make up those slots (plus he's so smooth that he takes good care of his car and tires). Those two races where he won from the back of the grid help also (Canada & Hungary). He does get it right in changing conditions too.

Jensen has certainly come on as Hamilton has struggled with his tussles during the race. At one point, LH finished better in 7 of the first 10 races, but Jensen has out-finished him in the last 3 (including the SPA DNF). Ham has been a bit of a marked man since Monaco though (including being crashed out by Jensen in Canada), so I wouldn't necessarily conclude that Jensen is the number one driver now.

He's just less hated by his gridmates...

5. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    +1 to this...I do agree that the RBR dominance is what contributes the most to LH's "issues" this year. I think he seriously thought he could push the McLaren to the limits and wrestle with Seb for the title.

Sometimes you just don't have the machine and must deal with reality (a la Alonso)

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Jensen may be the smartest driver in F1 today. Smart is fast but Smart isn't sexy or flashy so he's a bit of an anomaly in Bernie's dog and pony show.
    To me Jensen is a breath of fresh air in what has become a miasma of hype.

7. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Button got A LOT of trash on here before he started with Brawn racing. Overrated, useless etc.

A TON of trash.

Funny how things change :)

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    True and I was one of the trashers, but now he has a proven decent team mate ...

In the end he will never he a star, and the quality of the McLaren is making him look good (and it is making LH look good also).
    Pete

9. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Button was also going to be "BLOWN AWAY" by LH by going to Maclaren. Have to give credit him and his self belief, LH was rated very highly when he went over to take on the challenge.

10. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    was a brave move going to a team built for the golden child .... even more kudos to Button for what he has achieved, he'll have more points than GC by years end.

GC just sticks the car up the inside of someone at the corners and expects them to yield and wonders what went wrong when the inevitable crash happens.

Jenson on the other hand weighs everything up and picks his point on the track he KNOWS he has the superiority, THAT is what makes the good drivers

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1
    Especially without crashing into anyone :D

12. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Not crashing seems to be a virtue under appreciated by certain drivers. ;)

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The "Button to Ferrari for 2013" rumors have begun. I for one hope it happens.

14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    ...and then he makes a hash of qualifying!

15. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I tend to think he's a bit to "sane" to make that move but the siren song from Maranello has tempted many. Often to grief ;)

16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I don't know...what could be better as a mature driver's last CV entry than
    "Scuderia Ferrari"?

The Old Man always liked English drivers...Hawthorne, Collins, Surtees, Brooks, Moss (I know...not F1 but lots of Ferrari sports cars). I think he would approve of Button.

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    While the Scuderia isn't the hotbed of intrigue that it once was there is still a good deal of the sort of politics unique to any Italian institution.
    Jensen's successes have come with the stability a Ross Brawn or McLaren provide. Like many, but not all, drivers he may see driving for Ferrari as an honor but I don't think it would suit his temperament.

18. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I reckon that could be an awesome pairing though!..... Fred as the hare, Jenson as the tortoise of course.....

I'm thinking Rubens in reverse..... ;) Lots of $, not so much pressure (Fred's the man) and retire after a year or two with the Scuderia. Sweet.

OTOH, maybe it falls his way and he becomes the #1 (see; Mclaren, present day ;))......

More I think about it, the more I can see it happening.

Cheers,
    Ian

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David

After pairing with his current Prima Donna you think he's looking to pair with Alonso on a team with it's own share of institutionalized drama?
    I'd like to think that he has more sense than that.

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I think you're probably correct.

OTOH, I couldn't have said it better than you did above; "the siren song from Maranello has tempted many."

*If* he were to go to partner Fred the expectations would be even lower than when he went to Mclaren, and that's not working out too badly for him right now.......

Cheers,
    Ian

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Oh so many have come to grief on the rocky shoals of Maranello once lured by the Lorelai :)
    Who can mix a metaphor better than I?

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    'Metaphors are you!' :)

Do you keep a metaphor dictionary next to you at all times? ;) (Which one? I'd love to get a copy......)

Cheers,
    Ian

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Dead horses beaten while you wait as well. ;)

24. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Imagine where Ferrari would be with that Sh*t car this year without Alonzo. I still find it amazing how you can be THE greatest race car manufacturer/race team of all time and be getting your ass handed to you by an energy drink manufacturer. It's embarassing, if not pathetic.

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Drink manufacturer does not design the car, they just provide the $'s. Ferrari is getting it's ass handed to it by Adrian Newey, and this has happened many times before.

Also this comment has to be incorrect when talking about Ferrari: THE greatest race car manufacturer/race team of all time.

Porsche hand Ferrari it's ass almost everytime there is a road car related race (as did Ford for a brief period but Ferrari did put up a decent battle. With Porsche they simply gave up), and Ferrari have been in the modern F1 game longer than anybody else but are only just leading the most races won. Remember they went 21 long years without winning the WDC!

Now that the Italians are running the Ferrari F1 team again I believe we are in for another long unsuccessful period. Yeah we will win some races, yeah maybe even a WCC a couple of times but until the team is diluted again of Italian politics we will be nearly but oh so close.

It's quite amusing to look back at Ferraris F1 history and realise that so many of their successes were because of rule changes or the complete absense of serious opposition, or non-italian influence that steadied the team (Lauda and Jean Todt, for example).
    Pete