Capristo Headers Only | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Capristo Headers Only

Discussion in '360/430' started by RichardCH, May 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lilleprins

lilleprins Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Torslanda , Sweden
    Full Name:
    Anders T.
    No trouble. There should be a rubber part there. Was missing on my first pair of Capristo brackets.
    Or maybee tighten the springloaded bolts?

//Anders

2. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #277 SfefVan, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I took a couple of picture where the efficiency of the Capristo exhaust brackets can be clearly seen. Grace to these brackets, the entire exhaust line can now expand as much as needed. It shows evidence that the exhaust really need to expand, something it cannot do with the stock brackets. The grease marks left on the bracket leg show the difference between the maximum and minimum expansion of the exhaust. I made this test after a normal drive, so the engine wasn’t too hot. Although, there is enough margin left for the exhaust to expand when the car is really driven hard and consequently will have a hotter exhaust.

For those who installed the Capristo exhaust brackets, you should see identical marks. If you don’t, it means that the bolds have been tighten too much and the exhaust won’t be able to expand neither the suspension springs won’t be able to do their job. Make sure that with a cold engine, the bolds are positioned at one extreme side (towards the cross member) and that a maximum hole space is left for the brackets to move in the opposite direction.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    #278 Russell996, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
    Stef, this is really interesting and something I hadn't realised.

4. docsher

docsher Rookie

Sep 23, 2011
    This has been a very interesting discussion but potentially damaging to some suppliers who believe that their products are designed & manufactured at the least adequately. The contributor StefVAN made a statement much earlier in the thread that Fabspeed headers are poorly engineered/manufactured but, of more concern, that their replacement 200 cell high flow cats may be damaging to the 430 engine due to flow restrictions or possibly the way the catalytic material is structured within the units. This may indeed be the case but does the contributor have evidence for these statements and if so would he share the details? I appreciate that the discussion has moved on and centres around the well respected Capristo product but a reflection on the statements would help those of us looking at all the available alternatives.

5. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    Just a quick question, is the OEM headers are 4-1 or 4-2-1?

6. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    It's a 4-2-1 Pat.

7. Mikkofin

Mikkofin Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2011
    Finland
    This is interesting. I have been considering Fabspeed, but I guess I´ll wait for the Capristos instead :)

8. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Ferrari F430 OEM is 4-1 no ? with Capristo being 4-2-1

9. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    #284 F430GT, Sep 30, 2011
  10. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    sure but normal 430 is 4-1 right

11. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    So normal F430 is 4-1, 430 Scuderia is 4-2-1.

So they sound differently.

12. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    but one can note that even the OEM SCUD 4-2-1 is a significantly different design than the Capristo 4-2-1

Where did you get those Scuderia pics please ?

13. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    #288 pmotoring, Sep 30, 2011
    Here is the pic For you guys to sort it out. I thought was 4-2-1, and now not quite sure.

Richard, he got those pics of the SCUD headers from the ferrari catalogue.

14. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    #289 F430GT, Sep 30, 2011
    The quintessential Scuderia guide, a hard cover 60 pages brochure with plenty of technical information on the car and its development, info not found in the parts catalog or any manual delivered with the car.

Found it on ebay.

The best part is the detailed explanation on how the CST/CT works, the F1, the e-diff, dimensions, weights, fun stuff. Amazing pictures too.

15. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Pat, in your nice photo, it is definitely also a 4-2-1. It follows exactly the same design as posted by F430GT. Interesting info ;)

16. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    Welcome, my tiny contribution.

17. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Ok thanks just bought the SCUD and 16M books on EBAY, back to driving my 430 Spider to work due to the brilliant weather in CH and my Capristo Headers on this car are truly the B*llocks right through the rev range, I had a whole load of teenagers who stopped in their tracks when I pulled up at the traffic lights and they certainly weren't disappointed, the only problem is that my tire dealer won't be either ....

18. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Lol ;) Enjoy the last days of great weather (which I obviously do to) ;)

I can confirm about the tires. With the huge increase in torque 100% available at only 3900 rpm, my new PS2 tires are melting like ice ;)

19. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    You need Pzero Corsa to get hold your car, I even get wheel spin in the second gear.

20. RO1

RO1 Karting

Jan 6, 2005
    Stef,
    Finally after 3 weeks wait because I was traveling I collected my 430 with the capristo headers installed. It's loud! Been driving only for 30 minutes so my impressions are only first impressions and a bit subjective...but I feel when the exhaust valves open it is quite a bit louder than before, and idle it is just a bit louder. Quality of noise at idle is clearly better mainly because my stock headers were leaking. The other thing I noticed is the "bubbles" as you described when lifting off which is nice.

Also had the thermal insulation and mountings (as far as I can see it's only the 2 green spring mechanisms either side of the muffler?

Will drive it a bit more later to see if there are subtler differences I can observe.

I also had my clutch, clutch bearing changed the same time, and the engine mountings changed as well (that I can really feel! Significantly reduced vibration through steering and seat when engine is at idle or blipped)

Overall I'm happy!

21. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Very well done, you are going to enjoy it every day more ;) It's a real improvement in terms of torque and HP. The difference of sound is huge too, even with the valves closed. You will discover also that the drone with stock headers and valves open is now gone and replaced by a beautiful metalic sound. When you accelerate hard up to the revv limit, the sound is just crazy! With the valves open, throttle released, the exhaust will give some very nice popping too.

You're right, the Capristo brackets are replacing all the stock brackets and central mount. They are fixed directly on the cross member, one on each side. Each bracket contain indeed a 4 green springs, 2 large and 2 smaller springs.

Consider installing the Capristo remote control unit and you'll enjoy even more the sound when you want it :

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310472&highlight=capristo+remote+control+unit

Thanks for your feedback. This is the best upgrade I made on my car :)

22. RO1

RO1 Karting

Jan 6, 2005
    Just did a longer drive. Yes you are right Stef my car is noticeably louder and metallic sounding. The sound on initial startup is also different from before, like a mini explosion.

Car feels powerful but honestly it wasn't exactly lacking in that department before.

23. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Have you not got the stock headers from your Scud to look at? A photo would be very interesting.

24. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #299 RichardCH, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
    OEM SCUD headers are clad in the heat protectors, so it is difficult to tell, but I will post a pic tom

25. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #300 FerrariDublin, Oct 1, 2011