The return of the Dino? | Page 26 | FerrariChat

The return of the Dino?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by WJHMH, Jun 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should Ferrari reintroduce the Dino?

1. Yes!

2. No!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    In today's world of 500 + HP "super" cars, a light weight fun "italian" car harkening back to maybe the 246 or arguably the 3x8 series would be a fun little car. Sure, no 430, but a "new" 246 or 308 would be kinda fun!

I'm for it! Lets see the pictures. I'm hoping for the lines of the 246 with a modern reliable drive train..... no belt changes!

James in Denver

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    to be honest, so few people know what a "dino" is, i doubt it will hurt the old ferrari/fiat models.

saying that, i really don't like the idea of the dino name being reinvented for a "cheap" car.

i think the elise has revitalised the lotus name. to simply slap the dino name on an elise chassis doesn't make sense. however, the elise designer is a dino owner.

what will unfold? who knows......

4. cavallino33

cavallino33 Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Could be good but I sort of wish they would use some other name. How about x1/9.

5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    It's a great platform, hard to beat. If they just stick a nice V-6 in the back of it and let PF do something great, yes!

6. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    They say the new Dino will be based on the NEXT Lotus Elise platform.
    Then we still don't know if the engine will be in the front or in the back... Lotus has developed a modular platform which is suitable for front engine configuration as well as mid engine.

The Dino-like car designed by Ernesto in the Dino-design-thread is also based on the Elise.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136884724&postcount=1363

7. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    What's the use giving a Fiat the Dino name when there's no Dino engine?

8. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    I'm sure the marketeers made up a solution. ;)

9. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Thats weaksauce!

people complain about ferrari's being based fieros and yet Fiat goes and rips a page from the kitcar world!? WTF?

I might as well just go build a kitcar these days than go build a so called "Real Supercar" if they are going to be based on other vehicles.

10. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    I don't see anything about what's been posted that would indicate this is a "kit car." A Lotus chassis is among the best-handling platforms ever made and would ensure a nice, lightweight Dino.

The 246 was never a super car either. It was a reasonably priced sports car at the time (relative to the 365s of the era) with a priority placed upon driving dynamics than pure grunt. The V6 only made around 170 bhp and was shared with a number of different brands.

So what is so wrong with a similar, albeit more modern concept that could be priced against Porsche's 911 Carrera?

11. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Well, the Dino is an engine. It doesn't matter if it's front or mid-engined. And Ferrari is a company started on the premise of an engine "with a car around it." This is Enzo's philosophy and modus operandi.

The Dino engine platform was used all the way up to the F360. By strict technical definition, the F360 is a Dino. There was even a time during production that both the Fiat Dino and Ferrari Dino were assembled at Ferrari. One was front engined, the other mid-engined.

In other words, the Fiat Dino is the closest thing to being a Ferrari without actually being a Ferrari. To base a new Dino on a Lotus, whose engine shares nothing in common with the Ferrari/Dino-platform/blueprint, by strict definition, isn't a Dino.

In my opinion, Fiat would have to revive the Dino engine, build it according to Ferrari's original design concept, and then place it into the Lotus-based chassis for it to even begin to qualify as a Dino revival. The entire novelty factor about the Dino is that the engine is by Ferrari design. The heart and soul of Ferrari is in the Dino, quite literally. This applies absolutely to the Fiat Dino version. If you own one, you own a piece of Ferrari's soul.

Therefore, if Fiat brought back the F360 engine and placed it into a Lotus chassis, badged it as a Fiat, that would truly be a Dino (even though that would still be somewhat of a stretch). It would be modern iteration of a Fiat Dino.

If they announce the engine is by Ferrari, that would be a hot ticket.

12. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Hypothetically speaking, what about a "Ferrari-tuned" V6, or even (blasphemy!) an I4? I think given the economic times and ecological concerns of late, a Dino of less than pure Ferrari origins is simply more realistic. Keeping it Fiat-engineered and Dino-branded would make it cost-effective yet wouldn't risk diluting the Ferrari brand.

The Tifosi might disagree but I'd bet the marketplace would reward Fiat with such an entry handsomely.

13. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #638 Mark(study), Sep 20, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
    The story goes that Maserati got mad at Ferrari for keeping their newest design (that went on to become Ferrari's new California) when Fiat split Maserati from Ferrari

Now Fiat take the Dino?

Sounds like everyone is taking everyone else ideas :) Platform sharing or tit-for-tat Italian politics?

14. 328gtsfan

328gtsfan Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2004
    Aus
    Full Name:
    Greg
  15. 458beast

458beast Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2011
    rainy
    Full Name:
    Will
    #640 458beast, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/204171/ferrari_420_dino.html

was it suppose to be the California or the 599?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #641 greyboxer, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  17. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    That rendering of a Dino looks too much like a Porsche on Ferrari steroids!

18. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I was going to say, "Oh LOOK!!!!! An Audi TT!!"

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It was only an Internet rumor. Luca has said bringing back Dino will never happen. I can see why as it will cause confusion and the marketing and investment costs will be high.

20. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    What they thought was going to be the new Dino ended up being the California. I think Ferrari would do well if they introduced a true Dino successor that was <$150k, <2500 lbs, and a turbo V6.

21. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    That would be a cool car if they could get all the safety equipment required and hold it under 2500lbs

I like the Cayman looking Dino pictured above.

22. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I agree. and I don't think it will be a huge marketing issue if it's branded the Ferrari Dino. only the hardcore enthusiast market knows/understands the "almost a Ferrari" stuff.

23. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Why is it that Lotus can do this (easily; in fact, 500 pounds less than this) and Ferrari cannot??

24. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Probably due to comparatively low HP.

25. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Fiat already has Maserati and Alfa Romeo. This could be a push to add in a Dino. Danager of becoming a gussied up Alfa at some point. Or an Italian GM, too many lines robbing from each other. Maserati and Ferrari are already crossed enough with the Cali.