The Fantastic Amazing Journey Of Dino *03932* | FerrariChat

The Fantastic Amazing Journey Of Dino *03932*

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Dec 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #1 4CamGT, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
    All,

Back in May of 2010 when I bought Dino *03932*, I was fortunate to have much of the U.S. history, a validation of the DOT certification and validation of all the numbers and colours matching from Matthias Bartz. I was missing many pieces though. When I bought the Dino from Fantasy Junction they gave me a folder full of receipts from owner #7(1987-2010). There were also a couple of receipts from owner #6(1986-1987). I also found him on the internet and sent him an email. Great memories surfaced! From him I received a cache of receipts that he had in a forgotten folder. In these I found one lone small receipt from owner #5(1978-1985), I wasn't even certain he was a past owner. Just recently I took a "shot in the dark" and found him on the internet and made a connection. He confirmed his ownership, shared his experiences and fun with the Dino and also validated when he owned it and that he bought it from owner #4 (1976-1978), the importer. My History file was now getting really thick! THEN... my collegue and good friend, John Clinard asked his friend, Adolfo Orsi, a well known automotive historian residing in Italy, a huge favor, "Could he find anything on my Dino in Italy"? We had little to nothing to go on. The Italian history on my Dino was a huge mystery! First through his contacts he received some key information and "somehow" found when, where and who it was FIRST sold to as well as the FIRST Italian registration (Parma PR201.444) . With the registration number he was able to get a chronological extraction from the Italian Auto Club, THEN...he called owner #1(1972-1973)! Happy memories were shared. He was in his 30's when he bought it new. From there he was able to track down owner #2 (1973-1974) and finally owner #3 (1974-1976) where it was re-registered with a Venice registration (VE292.983) and YES, he found his number too and called him!! He also recalled fond memories of being a young Italian man in his 30's with *03932* and confirmed he sold it to the U.S. importer at the end of 1976.

The histories of European Dinos coming to America are much different than ones sold directly to the U.S., European Dinos started their lives playing hard and being driven hard all over Europe, parked in the streets through the night without any thought or care. Eventually they just became old and used. But travelled and played they did! They were used to drive that "special road" like up the Alps or the Napolian trail to the South of France to go shopping in Nice or to the disco in Monaco. My Dino is now more special because I can now imagine it back when it was new, where it lived, who was in it and where it traveled. This is now chapter 3 of its life. I'm really pleased to share this with all of you!

Freeman

The Ownership History Of Dino *03932*:

April 1972: Ferrari build sheet

May 23, 1972: Ferrari Certificate of Origin

May 26, 1972: Owner#1/New Sale by Motor, Ferrari Dealer Bologne to Mr. Gianfranco Pattera of Parma (Reg: PR201.444)

July 6, 1973: Owner#2/Sold to Mr. Lamberto Ballanti of Cento, Ferrara

Mar 1, 1974: Owner#3/Sold to Mr. Maurizio Girolami of Venice (New VE Reg: VE292.983 Apr 2, 1974)

End of 1976: Mr. Maurizio Girolami sold car through a dealer in Bassano del Grappa to USA (Jeff Hammond)

Feb 1, 1977: Date of Entry into U.S. (San Francisco) for a Jeff Hammond (Importer) w/ DOT approval

End of 1976 to 1978: Owner #4/Owned by Jeff Hammond, San Francisco

1978 to Nov 1985: Owner#5/Owned by Mr. James R. Trudell of Stanford, Ca. (Bought through agent of Jeff Hammond)

Nov 1985: Sold to Ferrari of Los Gatos

Jan 1986 to Jun 1987: Owner#6/Owned by Mr. Gregory R. Fretz of Los Altos, Ca.

Jun 1987: For Sale at Ferrari of Los Gatos

Jun 24, 1987 to May 17, 2010: Owner#7/Owned Mr. Thomas D. Perkins of Altamonte Springs, Fla. later Portland, Or.

May 17, 2010 to Present: Owner#8/Sold to Freeman J. Thomas of Laguna Beach, Ca. through Fantasy Junction on consignment

2. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Freeman, You certainly did your homework! Congratulations on your complete history, and thanks for posting it on Ferrari Chat. I can verify the hard treatment some Dinos received in Europe when new. In the summer of 1973, while visiting the south of France, I saw a man park a beautiful Fly Yellow Dino Spyder on the Promenade des Anglaise. Directly behind his parking space, there was a circular no parking sign on a metal stand. He backed into it, leaving it listing at a sharp angle to the perpendicular, and also leaving a rather large dent in the trailing edge of the deck lid. He didn't bother to lock the car, nor did he even look back to survey the damage. I was appalled! Fred

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Freeman the work you put into finding the history of your car is really what the classic car hobby is all about. Good for you for unearthing this history. We are currently doing the same for 01464 however it will not be nearly as interesting as our car was local its entire life. Stories of a young man with a new Dino are the stuff of legend. Thanks for sharing.

4. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Quite an accomplishment, Freeman!
    Knowing the complete history of a car gives you a very special connection to it, I think.
    Great story.

5. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Congratulations for your finds Freeman. I own the little brother of your car. It's #03934.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Wow one car apart. How cool.

7. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Freeman, that's exactly the kind of history I want to put together for my 1982 308, how did you go about finding that? I'm not having much luck with mine, I've paid Carfax but they only go back to 1998 on mine, sadly. Anyway, that's a great thing you have for your Dino, any help you can offer me is greatly appreciated. Cheers, Dennis

8. Pooh-Baugh

Pooh-Baugh Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Greencastle Indiana
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Freeman, look for a personal e-mail to your account. I have been trying to do the same thing for *04022*. I've hit road blocks in my research that your advice might help. I have the bond release from DOT and I have personally owned the car since spring 1984. I have the name of the original dealership that recieved the car from the factory. From there until 1984 is still eluding me.

9. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    well done
    regards Matthias

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #10 4CamGT, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you for all the great comments! I was really fortunate that the trail kept giving clues. Some of it was luck but most of it was the key help I received especially from Matthias Bartz, John Clinard and Adolfo Orsi. All of our Dinos hides a great story!

Freeman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I own 03930. Pretty cool that all three were born together

12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Freeman,

The dealer in Bassano del Grappa in 1976 was probably Luciano Tosin. He sold many cars to the USA in those days.

13. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Great story Freeman, congrats!

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    TX246 "I own 03930. Pretty cool that all three were born together"

GIOTTO "Congratulations for your finds Freeman. I own the little brother of your car. It's #03934"

That's fantastic! It would be interesting to compare some details! Also would be interesting if they were built one after the other on the same days? Seperated at birth!

Freeman

15. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Freeman,
    Well done on tracking all this down. I can relate to this rather well as I have spent countless hours researching the history on my dino, and several others.
    I've had incredible bad luck, bizarre coincidences, made new friends, learned of fantastic life stories of past owners, been given amazing pictures and found long lost parts.
    The most significant thing we found was the original bill of sale from 41 years ago, discovered in the back of a picture frame with a note from owner#1. With this, I was able to correct some information on the dinoregister and Urban's vinbook.

Also this year, I found the original owner of another car I own who kept the books in a safe for 38 years. I sent him photos of the car because he never took any during the 2 years he owned it, and he kindly sent me the books.

I know some others are still searching for long lost owners, documents, photos, books (and tool kits) but from my own experience and perseverance, I can say it's worth doing and great fun as you never know what shows up. I wrote letters to probable past owners, enclosed a photo, it's old school and people respond to it better I think.
    Andrew

16. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #03930 (US-model) precisely one month later than the other two....
    :)

17. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Telaio #03934:

-Data produzione: 26/4/1972.
    -Colore esterno originale: Azzurro metallizzato.
    -Colore interno originale: Nero.

-To Ferrari Charles Pozzi in Paris: 31/5/1972.
    -First owner unknown.
    -Second owner in 1978. Car repainted red.
    -Third owner: me since 1982. Still red, but...

18. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #18 4CamGT, Jan 18, 2012
    The Ownership History Of Dino *03932*:

April 1972: Ferrari build sheet

May 23, 1972: Ferrari Certificate of Origin

May 26, 1972: Owner#1/New Sale by Motor, Ferrari Dealer Bologne to Mr. Gianfranco Pattera of Parma (Reg: PR201.444)

July 6, 1973: Owner#2/Sold to Mr. Lamberto Ballanti of Cento, Ferrara

Mar 1, 1974: Owner#3/Sold to Mr. Maurizio Girolami of Venice (New VE Reg: VE292.983 Apr 2, 1974)

End of 1976: Mr. Maurizio Girolami sold car through a dealer in Bassano del Grappa to USA (Jeff Hammond)

Feb 1, 1977: Date of Entry into U.S. (San Francisco) for a Jeff Hammond (Importer) w/ DOT approval

End of 1976 to 1978: Owner #4/Owned by Jeff Hammond, San Francisco

1978 to Nov 1985: Owner#5/Owned by Mr. James R. Trudell of Stanford, Ca. (Bought through agent of Jeff Hammond)

Nov 1985: Sold to Ferrari of Los Gatos

Jan 1986 to Jun 1987: Owner#6/Owned by Mr. Gregory R. Fretz of Los Altos, Ca.

Jun 1987: For Sale at Ferrari of Los Gatos

Jun 24, 1987 to May 17, 2010: Owner#7/Owned Mr. Thomas D. Perkins of Altamonte Springs, Fla. later Portland, Or.

May 17, 2010 to Present: Owner#8/Sold to Freeman J. Thomas of Laguna Beach, Ca. through Fantasy Junction on consignment

I've been in contact with owner #5 (1978-1985) and today I received in the mail the original toolkit bag that he had stashed and lost in his garage. So now this bag has been reunited back to *03932*! This is an early reverse opening bag with brown pebble grain. I would love to get some feedback from the toolkit experts on up to what chassis number these were used. I put in the tools I already had and know some of them are incorrect. I'd love to have some guidance on these too. Any help would be appreciated to make it correct.

Thanks!
    Freeman

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Spark plug wrench does not look correct
    Pliers? 190 mm long?
    Maybe it's just the partial pix, but that's an initial assessment.
    Other stuff looks right
    Ed

20. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    #20 TKO, Jan 18, 2012
    Freeman,

How cool you were able to retrieve your original toolkit bag. Is 03932 an M series Dino? Never seen a reverse opening bag. Here is my toolkit for E series #05028.

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Good eye! I need the correct one. If anyone has one that they'd like to part with I'd be interested!

Freeman

22. 2thmvr

2thmvr Karting

Feb 24, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Great history Freeman. I'm trying to search for more information on the original owner of my car.

Sam

23. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #23 4CamGT, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    Tom,

As I remember, my L-Series had the reverse opening toolbag. Don't know at which chassis number this changed. Anyone? Also what would be the correct wrenches for "03932? As shown or Gedore? My Dino is an early E-Series w/rectangular front side holes. Later ones had a different front lower valance w/round side holes.

Freeman

24. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    except of the spark plug wrench looks perfectly original to your Dino
    regards Matthias

25. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Thanks Matthias!

If anyone has the correct spark plug wrench available I'd be interested! Also looking for the correct brown pebble grain jack bag w/top opening similar to later bags.

Freeman