Ferrari crash in Japan | FerrariChat

Ferrari crash in Japan

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dincenzo, Dec 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Not exactly sure what happened or how many cars involved, but definately lots of damage.
    Sorry, but the video is in Japanese. Maybe someone here knows the story.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0d3adb4bI&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Im sure they werent racing ;)

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think they were all traveling together and someone spun, blocking the others close behind. It's difficult to speed in Japan.

This will really screw up some friendships! Some, if not all of those cars look totaled.

4. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Looks like the lead car 430 hit the brakes hard from rear damage then they all smashed up

5. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    In the other thread I assumed the same thing.

Why is it difficult to speed there? That road looks wide open.

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Very strict laws and a lot of law enforcement, along with tough penalties. There are cycle cops everywhere.

Hong Kong is even worse!

7. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Well that's no fun.

Our state is horrid now as well.

8. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    #8 ReinD, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
    For a rough translation, select "Watch on YouTube", then click on the "CC" (closed captioning) icon, then select "Transcribe Audio" and then select "Translate Captions" and select "English" ;)

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Still really confusing. I can't tell if they said they were going 50 KM or 50 KM over the speed limit.

It says there were 20 cars involved and the Ferrari's ran into one another.

10. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    Here is a story written in English...

http://jalopnik.com/yamaguchi-prefecture/

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #11 TheMayor, Dec 4, 2011
  12. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    Who knows?!! I'm sure we'll get more info over the next few days.

Could this be the most expensive Ferrari involved accident to date?!!

More video...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLeUAjS-tdM[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qgprm9LXqA[/ame]

13. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    #13 h2oskier, Dec 4, 2011
    Not close to most expensive at all

A 250 testarossa ripped a bumper off in the last few years at the historics at monterey and that little accident easily way more money than all these cars combined.
    Most of the cars were like 50 to 100k US maximum

14. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    #14 Slim, Dec 4, 2011
    Sorry I'm late with a Japanese translation! You guys seemed to have figured it out by now. The last video has the most details and says it was a total of 24 vehicles involved, 14 of which were ferraris and whatnot (another video said 8 ferrari, 1 lambo, and 3 benz, which makes 13, but apparently a skyline was involved and that is being counted amongst the "sportscars"). It said the first car spun out on a left hand turn and the rest crashed into the pile up. 10 people were taken to the hospital but their injuries are light.

Oh, as for speed, one of the news videos said they were going 140-150km/h. Not very fast, but I guess they were driving in a tight pack and couldn't avoid the first car that crashed!

15. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California

David's crash was actually relatively cheap to fix. The damage was superficial. What do you mean by "ripped a bumper off"? The car has no bumpers. Anyways where are the other two Ferraris? From the video I can only see six.

16. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    #17 BlueBiturbo, Dec 4, 2011
    The bad news is that 14 vehicles were destroying including eight Ferraris, three Mercedes, a Lamborghini, a Skyline. The good news is they took out a Prius in the process.

17. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004

18. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Meant fender

My point was that this was just a bunch of cheaper road Ferraris. It wasn't an expensive wreck by standards.

Sad all of them look totaled tho.

19. buffy

buffy Rookie

Jan 29, 2007
    Japan
    This wreck happened in my neck of the woods. Those that crashed were part of a contingent of cars coming up from Kyushu to join other high-performance car owners on Honshu. It was supposed to be a fun day out with about 100 cars meeting in Hiroshima. As well as Kyushu, they came from Hyogo, Okayama, Yamaguchi, Shimane and Tottori prefectures. As I had other plans, I only met up with about a dozen of the cars early in the morning in Hiroshima before they headed out. Kind of glad now that I had to suddenly cancel. When I was first invited to join this drive, I was a bit surprised that it would be all expressway based as in my experience the expressways in Japan are the least fun place to have fun in a cars like that. Too many traffic police. Plus on weekends the tolls are half price, so that means they are always crowded with Sunday drivers.

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #21 PSk, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
    Many people get confused with the sale price or value of a car and the repair cost. You could repair a 250 Testarossa cheaper than you could repair a modern say 458 Ferrari, in some cases.

A 250 Testarossa is a simple car, with a simple steel frame wrapped in aluminium panels. As long as you have connections to somebody who can work magic with aluminium you can create a new fender/guard ... would not cost much more than making an alloy fender/guard for a Ford F100 from scratch. If you of course wanted to straighten the original guard then that would I assume take longer but I doubt whether many 250 Testarossa's have original panels anymore anyway.

The thing too is that a repaired 250 Testarossa would hold its value pretty well while a repaired 458 would be worth close to nothing ...

Thus why don't owners race the cr@p out of these old cars? ... because hopefully they love these old cars and don't want to hurt them, because a modern crash is not adding patina or significant history to an old car, it is just causing unfortunate damage to a historical item.
    Pete
    For example: You could probably built from scratch (I mean make everything for) a 250 GTO or TR for way less than $1 million ... and yet they sell for many times more than that.

21. mertini86

mertini86 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    Brussels / Istanbul
    Full Name:
    Mert Candarli
    #22 mertini86, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
  23. superbike81

superbike81 Karting

Sep 15, 2011
    I wouldn't quite go that far. Exotic cars are severely overpriced here in Japan, partially due to the terrible exchange rate.

For example, most 430 Scud's are advertised in the $350k US, some being much more than that. Another example, browsing Goo-Net (a well known Japanese dealer network site) the cheapest 360 I could find was $120k US.

If you consider the value in Japan, and the poor exchange rate, if we are talking US dollars, this likely was a very expensive accident.

24. olinde

olinde Karting

Mar 23, 2004