What's my car worth? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What's my car worth?

Discussion in '308/328' started by johnk..., Dec 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    360's are 2k belt service every three years and fluid change every year

I've no clue on the 3x8's

My dad had an E-type vert years ago. You must do a lot of your own tinkering I'd guess. That thing seemed like every bump the webers went out of wack...and it was a lot of webers.

Beautiful cars tho

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Lots of Webers means he had it hopped up a bit! SU's are standard fare for E-Types, at least the S1's. I have 3 SU's and I have them dialed in...but they are known for going out of whack.

Also, to be fair, I had a solid Jag guru get the car up to snuff. Now, I do the minor tweaks, but much of the major work on these car requires engine removal (where have we heard that before!). I guess I've been lucky :)

$2K per year plus fluids - not bad, I need to reconsider my F-Car choice for the future!

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Perhaps i need to work on my grammar. :)

i bought the car for $26k and all it needed was a belt service. :)

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #54 thecarreaper, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is the first time I have posted a pic of the damage.

I do not want to derail the thread so i will start my own when i get some time to put it all together.

I did want to add my car ran and drove fine, but a Dodge Ram came up on top of the front end while I was stopped at a red light.

Front structure is twisted which means frame damage.

You are looking at $34468.47 worth of damage to my car in this pic. vin *ZFFXA20A4H0072249*

Shop was great: Magnum Collision repair in Marietta Georgia did the estimate.

Hagerty totaled the car, which is what i wanted.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well you started into this game with a 'total" so there's symmetry there..

That's not bad.....I say $20K to fix it..

The main problem I see is "the way Fcar owners "feel" about history, and the 17 digit VIN is traceable.

6. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm really sorry about your car. At a casual glance it doesn't look like 35k worth of damage.

7. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

2 major service on my 328 has set me back $5400 (May 2006) and $5600 (Dec 2010).

Check this thread out. Am surprised that a major on the 360 is way less than the 328:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322086&highlight=ferrari+dlr

8. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Okay, so the 360 major periodic maintenance is a couple of thousand dollars less than the 3x8. But how much will a 360 cost in depreciation over time - say over one belt change interval? More than $2K in the next 3 years? Much more?

9. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    I also found the dealers offer on the show of $22,500 rediculous. I also believe there was more money in the car at a more appropriate auction, but it would cost me a lot to get it there and take my chances, and maybe still get the same result. I believe and hope by letting her go then and there it would probably be a wash. And I don't have to worry about anything breaking in my possession nor the stress of still trying to sell over the winter. Keith Martin told me privately that I absolutely did the right thing and his statement was true- " you'll never spend another dime on it". Remember also I negotiated with them essentially no sellers commission so I saved money there.

If you Love your car, it doesn't matter how much you have to spend on maintainence. There is no limit to how much I would spend maintaining my 330 GT. I just wasn't there anymore with the 328.

Overall I am very happy!

Dan

10. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    As long as your happy with the decision that's what counts and hey you got to be on t.v. how many people can say that.
    Dealers are dealers there going to low ball you no matter what.
    One thing I feel is that Mark Hyman was wrong in stating that the fixed roof was less desirable than the gtsi a gtb is a lot rarer and I think it brings a premium over the gtsi.

11. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    No different in percentage to the 328

This a good example

Sold for 31k
    The guys asking 70k are dreaming and the guys paying remotely close are foolish

Performance out weighs anything. The 355 is much faster than the 328. The 360 is much faster than a 355.

12. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    That sir, is a GREAT point. Many forget 'total cost of ownership' and focus instead on the dreaded belt service as a 'do I or don't I' sisyphean argument. Depreciation counts for a ton here. Small case - -

About 18 months ago, I offered a dealer what I thought was a fair price on a 22k mile 360 coupe of $75k. (I think they were asking $82k.) Didn't accept, which was fine, and I later heard it brought $77k. That car today is probably worth $68ish.

So, with a "mere" $2k service since then, the car "cost" about $10grand to own for 18 months.

Can't imagine a "total cost of ownership" for a 328 being the same unless you really went all out catching up maintenance. In time, I feel the 328 would be far less in total ownership cost, since its value has basically flattened out, probably 'up' in a graph over time.

The underlined part may divide among several fine opinions on here. I'm no dealer, no expert, just a fan.

I consider this point (to myself mostly!) all the time with the Boxer. Love the car, excites me to drive and look at, but the mileage I drive it vs. the maintenance (not unreliable at all, just scheduled stuff) gives me pause.

As a "steward" I don't like or want to be upside down in the car, so I debate the future appreciation versus maintenance on the whole package. I sound like a penny pincher, and probably am, but this - to me - seems the best way to own/enjoy one of these without the financial harbinger of maintenance gloom hanging over your head every mile.

13. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Mark doesn't dabble much in Ferraris, so have to cut him a little slack. I lol'd though, because he has a Fiat Dino on his site for $45K or so. I don't care if that thing were pristine, that's a tough sell.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I was opining last night that 360s may be approaching full depreciation at this point, it's certainly leveled off, IMO.

Hard to say...

15. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    TCO goes both ways - the seller of this car implied the cost to get his 328 up to the level it was at. There is an intersect where it makes more sense to go to the 360 over the 328 if TCO is a driver.

Good point though - one should always consider this.

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Try to actually buy a nice FIAT Dino (as Napolis has done, a street version)..none of them go cheap unless beat the heck.
    A shop here is doing "ground up" restorations on TWO of them....

17. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

Wow, just wow!!!!

PDG

18. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    #68 red3555gtb, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

I really enjoy in continually reading posts from Mr know it all on 308/328. The only thing I continually get from your posts is that none sell for big dollars regardless of condition and if someone pays up large for a great car they are foolish.
    If you feel 308/328 are worthless we get it over and over again.
    Thanks again, for your insight, but speaking for myself the only thing I get from your posts is that you have no idea on what your talking about when it comes to 308/328.

19. marks308GTB

marks308GTB Karting

Jun 6, 2004
    Los Altos Hills, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mark S.
    Guys....

I just sold my glass 1976 308 gtb. I got 50% more than I paid for it. That more than covered all of the maintenance work that I had done on it over the 7 years of ownership.
    I definitely did better on the Ferrari investment than I did in any of my other investments!

Car sold to a private collector in Europe. The car was nearly perfect. The buyer got a great car.

I greatly enjoyed owning and driving and working on the car. Between the joy of owning it and then finally making money on it........it was a complete winner experience.

Mark

20. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    As a big fan of the Dino Spyder, I agree they aren't cheap. Mark's car is the Coupe, which by most accounts are less desirable.

I gauge everything by what I know. I also triangulate. My E-Type might fetch $50K. I've seen MANY that are $50K or less.

Unless you are an over the top Fiat fan, there's no way in my mind an equivalent condition E-Type should be priced the same as a Fiat Dino.

Just my humble opinion. :)

21. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    While I see a good number of people here on Fchat say they prefer a GTB, I've not seen any figures that show them selling for more than a comparable GTS. Dave/Hardtop sold has at least one maybe two 328GTBs in the last few years. I believe he got good money for it/them. However, I don't think his 1989 GTB with approximately 22,000 miles sold for any more than Bullfighter/Jay's 1987 GTS with roughly 28,000 miles sold for.

The only cars that a might get a premium, even if they are GTBs might be an extremely low mileage all original car that a potential owner might want to enter in shows. If you got two or three like minded buyers together that all wanted the same low mileage show quality car then maybe someone would have to pay more for it (in a bidding war).

In this economy most 20-30 year old 3X8s are not fetching what they would have gotten back in 2006/2007, regardless of whether they are coupes or targas.

Best regards,
    Dino

22. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Dino my line of thinking is that there are people who are only looking for a gtb they feel it is a better driving experience as it is stiffer than a targa and some just prefer the look of a hardtop but because there were a lot fewer gtb's than gts' made there are a lot less to choose from so it falls to supply and demand.

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Glad it sold after the eBay mishap, those were straight sounding guys at the dealer.

Good confirmation of the '76 glass market...

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I agree, they were tiny throw away transportation, when new...now, a sentimental icon of the style.

Not many cars get that 'gift" of course the Jag E type is also one!
    An icon I mean, I don't think Jags have ever been throw away.....:D

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    IMO the "B" vs. "S" market falls into two camps, and you'll find enthusiasts in both that will open their wallets for a good example.