599 GTB with GTO upgrade and other stuff... Feedback and advice? | FerrariChat

599 GTB with GTO upgrade and other stuff... Feedback and advice?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Nicofr, Dec 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nicofr

Nicofr Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    France - near Paris
    #1 Nicofr, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello,

I bought my 1rst Ferrari, a 599 GTB F1 in October 2010. She is from october 2007 and had 17500 km when I bought it. Now, she has +32000 km : a real pleasure for a passionate...
    Unfortunatly, I do not have the means to buy a 599 GTO and I know I will not have a GTO with a GTB, but I started to modify it to improve and personalised it a little bit with a moderate budget, in wanting to keep the Ferrari "personality":
    - Few months ago, I replaced the 20" challenge by 20" original GTO wheels in Black brilliant with Michelin Supersport tires: lighter, larger, more sport and more grip
    - the last week, I bought a set of new titanium wheel lug bolts (lighter and the originals are not adapted to the GTO wheels and even dangerous)
    - Installed 1 manual switch to open and close the rear exhaust valve, to manage the sound according to necessity/pleasure for the others and I.
    I just received today :
    - Original rear GTO bumper in carbon that I am going to make paint in Grigrio Silverstone: lighter and more sport
    - Capristo rear Exhaust: 2 mufflers with valves and 2 cat delete pipes that replace the second catalysts of the OEM system: lighter, and Capristo claims an increase in horsepower and sound through a more efficient flow of the exhaust system (+34PS).
    Both should be installed this week.
    I will post some additional shoots, and even a video with sound if I find the time
    Any comments, recommendation on these changes ?

I would like to add carbon parts: front and lateral lips, but they are very expensive (original GTO parts, novitec, Hamann, Vorsteiner...)

Unfortunately, the HGTE performance enhancements include new exhaust silencers, upgrades to the transmission software that cut shift times down to 85 milliseconds, as well as new lines of code that summon improved throttle response and i do not like their exhaust silencers! solution should to take the package and sell the exhaust. Other solution?
    Unfortunatly, the HGTE Handling includes a suspension lowered by 10mm, magnetorheologically re-calibrated and stiffened by over 15%; beefed up in anti-roll bars, and stickier tires mounted on upgraded modular wheels, but I don't want their wheels!

Next step (if I have the budget) should be to improve the handling part :
    - HGTE handling pack (sway bar +
    - or H&R sway bar (front : 24mm, rear: 25mm) + Sport Springs will lower the vehicle 1.2 inches in the front and 0.8 in the rear, but i should re-calibre the magnetorheological suspension.
    Do you have piece of advices on that handling parts, knowing that I want to keep the confort for the road?
    What do you think about ECU upgrade and reliability on this kind of car?

Do you think that all that changes add real value to this car? And what are your advices and experiences?
    Thank you for your feedback.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. spyke

spyke Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2011
    Place To Be
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good choice of having that kind of wheels. It's more sporty and aggressive look. :)

3. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Agree. That car is one hot ride. Great choice and great taste. I am jealous.

4. spyke

spyke Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2011
    Place To Be
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Just an advice, lower more the suspension.

5. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    J'ai immédiatement reconnu les pavillons si caractéristiques de notre chère banlieue parisienne.

Cela change des lieux exotiques habituellement représentes sur notre forum.

(I immediatly recognized the typical houses of the parisian suburbs. It change from the exotic locations we can see on this website)

I live in Antony , Hauts de seine

6. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    VERY nice!! I'm doing the same transformation as you... didn't go the GTO wheels some ADV 10s that will be installed shortly, capristo exhaust, lowering a bit, and I'm looking to do ECU flash, was also considering the carbon fiber parts...

7. ted 191

ted 191 Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    yorkshire
    Full Name:
    chris heeley
    In the UK Ferrari want £3500 just for the gearbox ECU, they say it's a complete new box, is it possible to reprogram the original

8. tailhappysg

tailhappysg Rookie

Nov 27, 2007
    Nicofr - Your car is gorgeous! I like what you've done. When you installed the original 20" GTO wheels, was any customisation/modification required?

9. Nicofr

Nicofr Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    France - near Paris
    Thank you for your comments.

For GTO wheels: no modification required on my 599, but you have to change the wheels lug bolts and take Titanium models for the GTO. Those on the photo are the originals, but I changed them because they were not adapted.
    The global budget is quite expensive only for the wheels and the lug bolts.

Regards,

10. pascalt

pascalt Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Pascal
    Simply the best wheels of the world! Absolutely stunning! Enjoy

11. spyke

spyke Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2011
    Place To Be
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Target budget for the GTO Wheels?

12. Nicofr

Nicofr Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    France - near Paris
    Yes that is in my project. That is the reason why I have some question on H&R, sway bars and springs in my topics.

13. Nicofr

Nicofr Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    France - near Paris
    Hello,
    New Rims : around 2,070 Euros w/o VAT each
    And add Michelin supersport, valve, tpms sensors, titanium wheel lug bolts...
    Total about +13,000 euros w/o VAT. Huge amount...

14. spyke

spyke Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2011
    Place To Be
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Ouch! But its worth it aight? I'll wait if you had done some upgrades on the suspension.

15. tailhappysg

tailhappysg Rookie

Nov 27, 2007
    Thank you!! Indeed they cost a bomb.

16. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Jesus Christ ! that's expensive, even for OEM GTO rims.

17. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    do KW coilovers.

18. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I have just begun having similar thoughts. Having bumpers on both the front and rear is important to the look IMO. Particularly the rear. Also the wheels provide a more aggressive look that others don't have.

I'll follow this thread and contribute when possible.

19. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    I would not install the GTO's bumpers or other body parts. It would no longer be a GTB and it certainly wouldn't become a GTO.
    It would merely become a GTO imposter...a very expensive kit car (IMVHO of course).

20. F45T

F45T Karting

Dec 25, 2011
    Lost Island
    Full Name:
    FAST
    Changing the wheels and lowering the suspension is enough for a very good looking 599 GTB. Having a kit for GTO will make your car like an OVERKILL or being RICED. As much as possible, make it look like still a GTB.

You might also give a look on tweaking your engine for more HP if you have the budget though.

21. Nicholas599

Nicholas599 Rookie

Dec 23, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Nice looking car Nicolas !!! I love the wheels ;-)
    I agree with F45T : Changing the wheels and lowering the suspension is enough for a very good looking 599 GTB.

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nico- Ever consider painting those wheels Silverstone to match the car's paint? Would bring the wheel details out more. In black, they are kind of invisible.

23. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Good idea...

M individual has a Grey paint + matching grey wheels . It looks great.

24. Nicofr

Nicofr Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    France - near Paris
    #24 Nicofr, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    you're making it your own, which is cool IMO...there are lots of 599 out there, customizing one for yourself isn't going to dilute things....good luck and have fun! :)