Story of 250 GT Cabriolet s/n 0799 | Page 32 | FerrariChat

Story of 250 GT Cabriolet s/n 0799

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by SonomaRik, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)

2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Just got a recap on the settlement. Sounds like Barnes and Roush came out at status quo.

Jeff

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

Someone told you the terms of the confidential settlement?

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    #779 Jeff Kennedy, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    Not the terms but the gist of how it finally turned out.

Check for a PM.

Jeff

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They are lawyers after all.. ..:rolleyes:

6. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    They shouldn't really be the focus. Either the person who took out the ads was malfeasant, or else the person with the car has to explain something.

To me, that means that whoever placed the ads should be the primary focus.

Suing the publications who ran the ads is secondary. Such a settlement is a yawn-fest of a side-show.

The main atraction is something else entirely. Who placed the ad? What court actions are being taken against that party? Civil? Criminal? None?

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    What was the thrust of the plaintiffs complaint, deminished value of the car?
    Ed

8. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    It's over, let Barney and the others rest!

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    thus you bring the thread back up to the top 4 days later. :D

10. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Now that's funny :D

11. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Like the bozo who email replies to all complaining about all the people replying to all.

12. chroush

chroush Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    The following story will appear in the next issue of the Ferrari Market Letter, which will be available online to subscribers Friday.

Lawsuit against Roush Publications, Cavallino dismissed

A U.S. District Court judge in New York has dismissed due to a settlement, with prejudice, a defamation lawsuit against Roush Publications Inc., the publisher of the Ferrari Market Letter.

The claims were also dismissed against Cavallino magazine and its owner, John W. Barnes Jr. The judge filed the dismissal on Jan. 5.

With prejudice means that the lawsuit can not be re-filed by the plaintiff, Paul “Barney” Hallingby.

Hallingby sued both publications in 2009, alleging that they had defamed him by publishing an advertisement from an attorney who represented a former owner of a Ferrari now in Hallingby’s possession. The ad claimed that the Ferrari had been stolen.

The parties reached an out-of-court settlement. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed. Both the Ferrari Market Letter and Cavallino continue to deny any wrongdoing and will continue to publish as they have in the past.

“My father was a proud and honest man who valued his integrity above all else," said Chris Roush, the managing editor of the Ferrari Market Letter and the son of its founder, Gerald Roush, who died in 2010. "That he passed away while these unfair attacks were being made will forever sadden us.

"The FML is known for its integrity and independence, and throughout this court process, we have refused to compromise these basic values. We are pleased with the recent settlement of this matter, and we look forward to carrying on in the proud tradition of the FML, bringing to the market honest, independent and unvarnished reporting on events in the Ferrari community.”

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    For the entire unfortunate event: I am glad it's over and wish you the best in your future.

r

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Small part, eh?

Let's see, by your own admissions, you: (1) encouraged the plaintiff to continue his lawsuit, and (2) you had your deposition taken.

Or did I miss something?

BTW, if you want to sue me, you know where to find me.

Dale

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sir, may you have fair winds and following seas.

Dale

16. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Cavallino in a joint statement to include Roush announced individual statements and a press release regarding the litigation . But since everybody is so suit happy about printing words I will only say you can find a full page of statements in this month's Cavallino issue number 190 (Aug/Sept) page 38.

I haven't the resources to even take a single word as my own without the lawyers jumping in .

seems great expense time effort and feelings can now be set aside or should be .

How are the Giants doing ? Anyone have a take on when I should change my belts? some say 3 years some say 5 some say never.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Closing per OP request. It be over.

18. mariafaga

mariafaga Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    I received the complete file of Connecticut state police regarding the case of Ferrari s/n 0799GT and Mr. Paul Hallingby. When comparing the police file with the comments of the old chat (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4/196197-story-250-gt-cabriolet-s-n-0799-a.html
    ) I notice how little information about this case is known in the community. It was right to shut down the old thread since a lot of wrong and even misleading information was published by several members.

I am not going to comment the old chat. I am absolutely not interested to argue with anyone about this case. I don’t know Mr. Hallingby and Dr. Gerber at all. But I believe transparency is very important when it comes to cars with a questionable background.

I do trust Connecticut state police and I know how professional and careful they investigated the case of Ferrari 0799GT. The Ferrari community should know the results of the police investigations. I will therefore publish some links where anyone can download the document “application for arrest warrant” regarding Mr. Paul Hallingby. This document is not confidential. Anyone can obtain this police file based on the freedom of information act (total about 1000 pages, see despp: Reports and Records).

This is the conclusion of Connecticut state police in paragraph 85 of the application:

Paragraph 85

“Based on the aforementioned facts and circumstances, and the Affiant’s training and experience, Probable Cause exists to believe that Paul “Barney” Hallingby DOB: 11-11-46 possessed the 1958 Ferrari bearing VIN 0799GT on September 4th, 2008 and that he knew the vehicle was stolen. The vehicle was located in his undocumented garage at his residence located at 32 Kings Hill Road in Sharon, CT. The Affiant respectfully requests the authority to arrest Paul “Barney” Hallingby DOB: 11-11-46 for the crime of Larceny I (C.G.S. 53a-122)”.

Links:

arrest warrant application regarding Paul Hallingby:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvewllq88djb0ns/hallingby%20arrest%20warrant%20application.pdf

conclusion of Connecticut State Police:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5lw3c22bqtxu6i/conclusion%20of%20connecticut%20state%20police%2008192009.pdf

note regarding discussion with State Attorney:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j3l67a9urlju009/note%20of%20connecticut%20state%20police%20about%20discussion%20with%20state%20attorney%2009222009.pdf

response of State Attorney:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6lcoss0njpmb9u/response%20of%20state%20attorney09242009.pdf

19. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Aaaand here we go again! :D

Wayne, can we tack this on the old thread to keep everything together?

Regards,

Art S.

20. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Of course. And now, once again, it is over. Thread reclosed.

21. mariafaga

mariafaga Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    I just received Mr. Hallingby’s depositions in the lawsuit against Roush & Barnes (Cavallino and Ferrari Market Letter). Until now, theses documents were undisclosed and there are good reasons for that. Find out by yourself, if Mr. Hallingby is credible or not…..

You can download two pdf files from following links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uuirntxhyyylcpw/02-08-11%20Hallingby%20Deposition%20Transcript_1.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2crceaefuvyi63o/02-09-11%20Hallingby%20Deposition%20Transcript_2.pdf?dl=0

22. claudinedubois

BANNED

Jul 1, 2013
    Why Mr. Hallingby’s attorney (Deborah Drooz) answered some questions in place of Mr. Hallingby? Actually, she even corrected Mr. Hallingby. This is so weird!

23. mariafaga

mariafaga Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
  24. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    And again.