Ford GT v. F355 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ford GT v. F355

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by mseals, Jan 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fvracing

fvracing Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Winnipeg
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I own a 355 and had an unbelievable opportunity to drive a GT on the track. amazing car. I love the fact that Ford got it all right the first time out. You really can't compare the two cars, but if you can do both...go for it.

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Pete,

Unfortunately, it's either or....

Hence, the dilemma.

Mike

3. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I don't need, or want, a race car...

I think the factory GT is more than enough, power-wise, for me...

(yes, I drive like a grandma... ok, maybe a 'little' faster.)

:D

Mike

4. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    By the way, I finally had time to watch the video... it's NOT about the original GT40, it's about the GT... and it's excellent! So is "Part 2".

Mike

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm not a fan, at all. The styling isn't retro, it's a direct copy. The motor doesn't make 100hp/liter despite having a supercharger on it. I'd much rather have a SPF or tornado with a CF tub and build it myself if I'm going to have a replica. I hope Ford makes another try at a supercar, this time using the Coyote and some real styling that isn't a direct copy of a car they've already made. There's a big difference (for me) between modern styling that looks evolved from the original (like a Wrangler, Mini, etc.) vs. directly copying a car that was already made like the GT or '05 mustang.

That's not to say that they're not fun cars to drive, I'm sure they are and that's important, but if I'm going to drive a replica it's going to be one I spec out and build to my exact specifications.

6. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I think it's a stretch calling it a 'replica.'

Yes, the looks are very, very close to the GT40, but mechanically it's not even close, nor should it be... it's a street car, not one built for LeMans.

Just my opinion....

Mike

7. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Unless you purposely set out to do so, most of the replicas are not identical mechanically, either. Tornado offers a CF mono, which obviously is nowhere near the original. They're still 'replicas.' My point was that Ford didn't go anywhere new with the styling, which is a disappointment. I would have been ok with a modern take on the GT40, but it's a direct copy.

8. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #33 kalinsd, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mike,

Suggest you get on the Ford GT Forum. This Forum has great bunch of fellows and lots of tenured advice to give to the aspiring owners of the FGT. As for the purchase of these cars, look to the FGT Forum and two of the sponsors there. One in Fresno, CA and the other in Jonesboro, AK. Seems like these dealers will most always have several cars for your consideration. In terms of depreciation, as the miles go up, the price comes down, but only slightly and overall, pricing has been typically several percentage points over MSRP, save for several color options. The Heritage color combination commands top dollar. Followed by Black/No Stripe and then the Black/Silver Stripe and equal to the blue/no stripe or blue/white stripe. Of course, others will argue this ranking of color and the associated pricing. Then consider the option on the car. Most all have the 4 options: McIntosh sound system, Painted Calipers, BBS Wheels, Stripes. Some may say the fewer options on the car the higher the price because of rarity. These cars are becoming more rare all the time due to crashes that total out the car and know too, that it seems like it does not take very much damage to make this happen. Be aware of salvage titles.

So to the driving experience between your beloved 355 and the FGT. First let me say that I too love my 355 F-1 GTS. However, the FGT is simply a different platform and there is some similarity between the two cars. As you know, the 355 needs to spool up for performance and its sound even with OEM exhaust is exciting. The FGT on the other hand, seems like the power curve is nonexistent since the "curve" is more like a straight line. Step on the gas and be sure to hang on. Also, any performance driving will mandate that you have the tires up to operating temperature otherwise, it will, repeat will, get away from you with possible very serious consequences. The sound the car/engine makes is intoxicating. Lots of options for aftermarket exhaust systems, but so far, I have opted to stay with OEM equipment and I love the sound to the point where I have yet to use the McIntosh system.

As for the "eye candy" aspect between the two cars, you have already experienced the allure of the 355. You will not believe the attention the FGT commands. Pull into the gas station to a fill up and you will be surrounded. You may need to plan on spending a few extra minutes to answer questions and be patient for the folks that want to do photo shoots. Be vigilant while driving since many will be surrounding you to ogle and to take video or pictures. It is just plain nuts..... Yes, you will be thrilled to drive it and excited to have the car simply parked in your garage.

Since the car is "just a" Ford, although, a Super Car, routine maintenance is straight forward. Manuals are available for the DIY enthusiast and filters, oil, and the other routine stuff can be purchased on-line at significantly lower prices than through the Ford dealership. All this type of information is available to you on the FGT Forum, so consider becoming member. Search on this forum will provide answers to ANY question you might have.

So, come on in and dive into the FGT experience. You will not be sorry. DJ
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Since the thread is focusing on the GT, I've moved it here...

Mike

10. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    DJ,

What a great, balanced, post... just the input I was looking for. I'll check out the forum....

I appreciate your taking the time to write all that... thanks!

Mike

11. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Clarkson adored the GT when it came out, could not stop talking about it... that is until the one he bought arrived.

He tested a pre-production mule in and around Detroit...

(Sorry about the terribly video quality... I laugh every time I see the guy making the video in the reflection.)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqaACXNaKL8[/ame]

... and then he tested the European promotional car not once, but twice. You saw his official Top Gear test earlier, here is an alternate test of the same car, filmed the same day...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ghrne8g1Q4[/ame]

... then Jeremy's GT arrived and promptly became the least reliable car he ever owned. He once said that after a year of ownership he had yet to complete a journey in the car without it stranding him.

Folks will point to Clarkson's experience as proof the car is seriously flawed, but even Clarkson, known for his obfuscation skills, was clear that the issues he suffered had nothing to do with the actual car, but with the security system his Ford dealer had installed. The dealer bought the car back from Clarkson, repaired it, and offered it to Clarkson once again. He bought the GT a second time and took it to France on Top Gear...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IWA33mGUXM[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88TC4G3F4FY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFbG-4VWqpA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXczwwtwY0M[/ame]

As for why Clarkson doesn't still own his GT, apparently you can blame James May, who "tricked" Jeremy into buying a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder...

12. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Mike........

I've never driven a FORD GT.

Yet I absolutely love everything about the car, except for the fact that FORD took the cheapazz lazy way out and supercharged a small block engine.

Why they built such an incredible overall package, and didn't put some serious normally aspirated cubic inches into it is beyond me. That fact alone puts me off the car, as it is obvious (IMHO) that the accountants beat the engineers and marketing guys at the last possible moment.

Odd......isn't it ? Kinda like the new Chev ZL1 Camaro............a historic badge, awesome image, but a run of the mill supercharged production engine from either a Corvette or a Cadillac, you pick. Then Ford builds the BOSS 302 and really makes a unique engine for it that follows in the footsteps of the original car.

13. Luke Warmwater

Luke Warmwater Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
  14. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Someone here owns 2 SPFs. IMO that is theeeee car to buy.

15. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Who can possibly dislike the Ford GT??

people have been shot for less.

16. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    This. The SPF replica is one hell of a car. If I had 100k to spend on a fun car, and already had an fcar, that's what I would be picking up.

Mark

17. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    550/5.4=101.85185185185185. You get the picture.

18. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    How can you go wrong. Iconic styling. Limited production. No depreciation. 0 to 60 in the threes. Top speed of 211 mph on the Nardo test track.

19. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Well put, Jimmy.. well put.

Mike

20. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    EXACTLY!

Well played!

:D

Mike

21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    GT and 355 are apples and oranges. I have a 360 and love it but have been thinking about some form of GT in addition. Choices Choices

I like the SPF but what do you think of the RCR? The SPF is pretty much an exact replica of the original. That means that someone as tall as I am just won't fit, not even with a Gurrney bubble. And forget about a helmet in the car, no how no way. The RCR looks to be very nice but not an exact copy so you have a little more wiggle room to make things fit. Plus for us in the states they are made here so easy to pop up there and work it out with the manufacturer.

22. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I don't know nothin' from nothin' about SPFs or RCRs.... All I know is that the GT is sexy, scary fast, and that I like it.

I also like the idea of a 'factory' car versus a replica, even a professionally made replica.

Mike

23. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    Both the Ford GT and the SPF GT40 are great cars. Great but VERY different. A Ford GT is a a lot closer to an F355 than it is to a GT40 in almost all ways excepts looks. A GT is a very refined car. A GT40 is about as raw as it gets. Check out both and figure out which one is right for you. I sold my GT and bought/built a GT40. I'm 6'2 and fit but there's not much room to spare, The GT40 is a much smaller car than the GT or the F355.

http://fordgtchannel.com/images/2011103003.jpg
    http://fordgtchannel.com/images/2011103002.jpg

24. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A14tDl7VOk[/ame]

25. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Excellent pictures, Luke...

I can tell you, I drive like a grandma...I've never had the 355 much over 100 mph, and don't intend to... speed is not my thing.

From what you've written, I'm even more convinced that I'm more of a GT guy than I am a GT40 kind of guy. I like refined. In storage back home in Oklahoma, I have a Cadillac Sedan DeVille to use anytime I'm home... and would rather be comfortable than constantly trying to get comfortable.

Thanks for the post... You're GT40 is truly a work of art...

Mike