Best steering wheel for XBox 360? | FerrariChat

Best steering wheel for XBox 360?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by futureowner, Mar 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Hey everyone, looking for a little guidance here. Currently I'm playing all my racing games with the controller only and would like to step up to a wheel with force feedback. I know Logitech makes great wheels unfortunately I'm looking for a wheel to go with my XBox.

I've heard good and bad about the Microsoft Wireless Wheel and the fact that they no longer manufacture it is a little concerning. Anyone have recommendations for a good wheel/pedal setup for the 360? Thanks in advance.

2. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    I have not experienced problems with the Microsoft wheel.

Stephen

3. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Fanatec Porsche GT2 wheel is the best, but at around $500 it's kinda steep. The old XBOX wheel is garbage, Logitech makes wheels for the same price that are 10x better, but of course Microsoft has to keep their monopoly.

4. YellowS2KVTEC

YellowS2KVTEC Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    Go with the Microsoft if you can find one.
    It works absolutely perfect never had an issue.

Heres a video of me playing dirt 2 so you can see

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6nIcVEfRwg[/ame]

5. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #5 SPEEDCORE, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And you better like Porsches.

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    It must be my lack of experience and a low skill level,but i bought the MS steering wheel for my XBox and couldn't be happier. I just was never able to master the hand controller in a driving situation. Showing my age i guess.But for Forza3 & Need for Speed it really helps me out.

8. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  9. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    No a buddy of mine does though and he gives it an 8.5ish out of 10. Not stellar but then there are so few options, he's very happy to get it.

10. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    The other positive about the Fanatec GT2 is it is compatible on both PC and PS3 as well.

If you game on either of those other systems... the GT2 will work for you as well.

I have the Fanatech GT3 wheel w/ clubsport pedals... and I must say... it blows the logitechs out of the water...

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Almost bought the farm at 1:33 . . .

12. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Fanatec is tempting, high price but compatible on PS3 as well as XBox, since I have both. Microsoft wheel scares me in that buying used electronics online is also a risk, imo and most being sold are missing the original box, manual, etc.

13. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Might be a dumb question but I don't know, with the Fanatec pedals I see there is a clutch pedal incorporated, do you have to use the clutch to shift with the steering wheel paddles or can you just pull up and down as in a car?

14. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    So the fanatecs work a little bit different then most wheels.

The clutch ONLY works IF you have the H-pattern shifter attached to the wheel, otherwise, it is a dead pedaland will have no effect and the paddle shifters will work.

If you buy the shifter, then you can switch between clutch/shifter or paddles on the fly. Hit the clutch to use the shifter, or pull a paddle to use the paddles. Switch back and forth seemlessly.

Personally, I bought the Clubsport Pedals w/ my GT3 RS, and elected NOT to buy the shifter set yet... waiting for the Clubsport shifter that should be released later this year.

Also, FYI... w/ Fanatec you buy each piece individually... The wheel is one price... the pedals are extra, and the 2-pack shifters is extra as well...

15. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Thank you so much for the info! Very, very tempted to go fanatec now......

16. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    The one caveat I will give you with Fanatec is that their customer service lately has been legendarily bad. Lots of people having significant trouble with getting the service lady to respond to their inquiries. They do eventually get all issues resolve, and often do so at no charge to the customer (even for out of warranty devices), but it can just take some time.

I believe part of the issue was they had trouble with so much demand for their wheels around the Christmas holidays, they are just now finally getting caught up with all the orders here in the US.

If you order now, they may still have some inventory of the GT2, but be prepared to have a wait a while if they don't have any in stock. Also, for some reason the US importer will charge your card for the wheel immediately... so you may be out the money w/ no wheel in your possession. This has been brought to their attention as unscrupulous, so I believe they Fanatec is trying to get them to change that practice.

17. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #18 SPEEDCORE, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok maybe not the best xbox wheel but there is a new xbox wheel on the market :eek:

http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=239&PlatformID=8

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    I bought the Ferrari 458 wheel and pedal set but within two months of using it, it is starting to have a lot of "play" in the wheel. That is to say when the wheel is at center, i can move it and inch either way and it doesnt do anything. It is making it hard to play with preciceness.

Looks like the fanatec wheel is the only other one that would be an upgrade.

I like the paddles because that's what I drive in real life and I'm trying to keep it as real as possible. I take it the fanatec has paddles?

19. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    #20 speedy_sam, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    Yes. More info here --> http://www.fanatec.com/pwgt2. I like the wide compatibility of this device - PC/PS3/XBOX. I have a Logitech G25 wheel which I like very much - it is only compatible to the PS3 and PC platforms

If it were my money I would spend on a specialized gaming company rather a Ferrari wheel shown above which looks most of the money went into branding.

20. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    yeah, it worked for what I wanted at the time... I just wanted to try it out and have something fun to mess around with but now that I'm getting into it more, I'm going to need something better..

I have been looking at the Fanatec this morning and i'll be buying the CSR wheel today... pedals and even a mouting stand. I'll be in my game room for the next 6 months if anyone needs me

21. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Careful ... it gets to be a slippery road thereafter.

I bought myself a G25 and a race seat with frame (http://www.playseat.com/en/logitech-G27-review). It's good fun!

22. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
  23. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Oooooh nice :D

24. travanx

travanx Karting

Apr 5, 2008
    Downtown Los Angeles
    This makes me upset that I bought this stuff right when it all came out. I should have waited!!!