F12 Berlinetta | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F12 Berlinetta

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by GrigioGuy, Feb 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

A little too swoopy IMO. Kinda looks like it was the car that in-house designers were let loose on as Pininfarina imploded.

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They are very Asian in flavor. I suppose if your new biggest market in the world is in China, then that may not be a bad thing.

Not gonna happen. Those A pillars and low bonnet line wouldn't meet crash/pedestrian regs in Europe or the US.

Plus modern car buyers have forgotten what beautiful looks like.

It does lack subtlety. I don't think it's destined to be a classic, but I like the overall proportions a lot.

3. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am extremely impressed with the aerodynamics and the purpose built nature of a lot of the cosmetics--though I wish they would go with more classic styling.

I too am withholding judgment until I see one in person. I am guardedly optimistic.

4. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    #30 psorella, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    Man, what a hard crowd to please.... Don't forget that todays cars are designed around all the strict guidelines set forth by regualtory bodies.... Over 700 ponies and gobs of torque, slap that in a swb and watch it tear itself apart... I think Ferraris old and new are beautifully penned for the purpose which they serve. I keep hearing comments about "honda design", looks like a lexus blah, blah, blah.... Ferrari is the trend setter, everyone else copies or follows. I say "Auguri Ferrari !" on the most beautiful V12 berlinetta yet.

Lino

5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yes absolutely. Ferrari are to automotive design as Prada is to fashion. They set the trends.

6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    like art said, i guess it will grow on me over time.
    but i stopped buying bmw's when they got bangled, and am kind of feeling that way about the newer ferrari line since the 458.

7. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why isn't this in the F12 section?

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The swoop on the side makes me think NIKE had a hand in designing it :)

10. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I think the rear end is just about perfect. It reminds me a bit of the Kamm tails of the 60s era cars. Jim is right: from behind, I can see some styling from P4/5 (and that ain't a bad thing.)

I'm not crazy for the exaggerated swoosh up front. I much prefer the more graceful and subtle side vents on the FF.

Overall, I like it.

11. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Once upon a time, yes. Nowadays, they tend to be derivative.

I wouldn't call the F12 innovative, just more interesting than the 599. And the FF follows the basic lines of past Honda Civic hatchback, albeit much bigger and with an interior at the other end of the automotive spectrum. It's not a car the world is going to queue up and follow, whereas the Boxer/308 set the tone for a decade.

OTOH, it's hard to create beautiful cars with all the safety concerns. Even Aston Martin seems to be recycling the same design.

Agree on the Bangling, but the new Z4 is a serious stunner -- what the California should have looked like -- and the new 5 is a handsome sedan. I'd say BMW has a pulse again.

12. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    #38 Duane_Estill, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Pontoons proved to be an aerodynamic mess. It wasn't a coincidence that they were quickly dropped in favor of a more conservative design.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Take a look on the aerodynamics involved and the F1 like "barge board" on the side and you'll see why it makes sense.

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The DB9 is still a gorgeous design, I wouldnt change a thing on the styling for a few more years. The MB SLS got it right too, even the Corvettes look better than the Cali

16. Mo T

Mo T Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed
    I really like it front and back, not very much on the side but I think the finished product will look better.

Overall a very classy car. Great job Ferrari !!!

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I really think it´s the best looking Ferrari since...i don´t know, probably the 288 gto!!
    The way the front hood turns into the side of the car and wraps it up at the back end it´s grat, you can really see a guide line from front to back, the car is very harmonyous, and, if you look it from the side, it´s definatly one of the most beautiful Ferrari ever....i loved the aston one-77 and i think the f12 rivals with it...it´s gorgeous...

18. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #44 Bullfighter, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    I agree, DB9 was right from day one and still looks right. It's the definition of a great design.

Really...

250 GT SWB? 250 GTO? Superamerica? Daytona? 206/246? 275 GTB? 275 GTS? 330 GTC? 250 GT Ellena? Boano? 308? 250 TR? 288 GTO? F40?

It's all subjective, but I think I could come up with 30 better looking Ferraris without even consulting with the experts over in the vintage section...

19. Emartleb

Emartleb Karting

Dec 6, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Val Beltrame
    It's beautiful. Best looking Ferrari since the 550 Maranello. It's good to seem them back in stride after the mis-steps with the FF and the California.

20. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    It looks like a Hot Wheels charicature. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

21. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Maranello is easily the best looking front engine Ferrari since the 250 GTO

22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It doesn't appeal to me at all, but then very few modern designs do. I'm not sure how they could get the 458 so right and this one so wrong. Nice cabin, though.....

23. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Anyone else notice the passenger information display? What is that, a tach?

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

It's an option and it's also available in the FF.

It's a tach and speedo for the passenger so they can see what's going on as they scream.