Opinions needed on OEM 246 Exhaust valves | FerrariChat

Opinions needed on OEM 246 Exhaust valves

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Pantdino, Mar 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    After 3 days and 94 views but no responses on the 246 forum I'm moving this to the Tech forum in hopes of some opinions.

My engine was rebuilt in 1986, 17K km ago, using OEM valves at a Ferrari dealer.

What was the frequency of broken / dropped original valves?
    Had they improved the design by 1986?

Thank you

Jim

2. Monza 456

Monza 456 Karting

Sep 15, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Craig Nelson
    Never heard of one dropping a valve in the 31 years I've been working on Ferraris

3. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    I've got a Boxer piston sitting on my desk, as a paperweight. It has a welded up hole in it from a broken sodium exhaust valve. This happened almost 30 years ago....

4. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    I have (3) 308 engines, (1) 330GTC head, (1) 365GTB/4 Factory Comp. engine and head, and a few pistons laying about... all with varying dents and holes.

Keep the revs to 5K and the concern is reduced. Every example I have ever come across to date, came apart at very high revs, likely valve float range. If it happens there, it will happen everywhere in time. Want to hear them scream? Change the valves.

5. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    You'd have to change the valve springs to eliminate that float problem first, before they scream. Any idea what the RPM is where valve float sets in? Just curious.

6. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Post redline, these were very healthy engines, at least in a few instances. I am only speaking of examples I have personally dealt with. Net rumor has dozens of examples but I refuse at accept anything I have not dealt with myself in these regards... the first liar never stood a chance.

Given the limitations with the fuel we now have and the designs of these old engines, redline operation just makes noise but little extra power. If it comes apart to freshen, then it can be built to utilize the entire rev range with little risk.... and new stainless valves used in place of the Sodium ones. To say there is no risk with the old valves is wrong, there is. I belive, at least at this point in time, the risk can be managed... in time that will change.

7. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Dave, my Daytona dropped an exhaust valve at 3000 rpm in third gear, just loafing downhill into la Jolla. Metal fatigue eventually happens I guess.
    Malcolm

8. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    my 206 is still running on its original valves, I only worry about dropping a valve as I hit the redline, the rest of the time I am enjoying the drive.

9. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Hey you... long time!

Yes, I dont think we can state anything as an absolute in this area, just wishful thinking. That is why I only stated my own personal experiences, which really means nothing in the conversation. IF they fail at high RPM, they will in time fail at any RPM... just as you experienced.