INDY 500 - Finish Time & Exit? | FerrariChat

INDY 500 - Finish Time & Exit?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by yb360, Apr 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yb360

yb360 Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    WA
    Full Name:
    John A.
    I'm going to the INDY 500 this year for the first time.

Unfortunately, I HAVE to be in London the next morning for a critical meeting, so I need to figure out flights directly after the race to be able to get me there in time for my meeting.

Can anyone tell me: a) How long does the race last? b) What's the best way to get to the airport right after the race? c) How long do I need to plan for to get from the track to the airport with all the traffic, etc?

Thank you in advance. I appreciate any help with this.
    John

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    race is usually 3 hours or so. I'd plan on at least 2 hours to get from track to airport after the race. there are a lot of routes from the Speedway to 465, but they'll all be jammed.

otherwise, you can try to get a helicopter ride from the speedway to the airport (they drop you off on the FBO/private jet side of the airport, IIRC close to the FedEx terminal)

is there a direct flight from Indy to London, or do you have to connect through Chicago, NYC, etc?

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Fingers crossed there isn't any rain or extended yellows or...

BHW

4. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Best access and exit from the track is using the City buses that run just for this purpose.

Go to the Indy airport early, two hours ahead of time. Look for the signs that say IndyGo and park in the desginated place. Buy your round trip bus ticket to the speedway, used to be around $25 per person, get on a bus, and the bus takes a private route and drops you off at one block from the entrance of the Speedway near Turn One.

These buses go only one place, the Speedway and back. And there are a lot of them running.

When the race is over, walk rapidly to the same location, make sure you get onto the bus that goes back to the airport and not the arena downtown, and within 20 minutes, you will be at the airport while the masses in their cars wait in line to get out of the area.

And you will already be at the airport. Good luck with your meeting.

I started doing this years ago, when I got tired waiting in my overheating car, and the polices started stopping women from removing their tops in traffic.

Google this to confirm, or call the Speedway, those people are really nice and helpful.

5. ryanro24

ryanro24 Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    NW Indiana
    No kidding. In '04 we were there ALLLLLL day because of rain, and when it did finally come down hard enough it was a downpour and there was a tornado nearby. I've been going every year since '96. You can never really say how long it's going to last. So many factors decide the length of the race. Weather and yellows (or even a red flag) can change things.

6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    buzzkill :(

the bus is a good idea, but maybe not if he has a ton of luggage; also last time I went to Indy I used this service and it was still an hour from the Speedway to the airport after the race.

7. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    Lockers/checked bag service at the airport?

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that might work.....

9. yb360

yb360 Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    WA
    Full Name:
    John A.
    Thank you very much for all the suggestions guys. I appreciate it.

10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Wow, one hour? I leave at the drop of the checker, and the most I have had to wait is 25 minutes. Sure I would like to see the milk drinking, but, been in victory lane so often in the old days, nnot as much fun from far away.

If time, I would keep my rental car and leave the bags in the trunk.

11. jeffashcraft

jeffashcraft Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2006
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ashcraft
    I grew up in Indy and have been going for years. I would not be as concerned with getting out of the track, as long as you are strategic about where you park etc. My greatest concern would be getting a flight out of Indy on race day that would get you to London for the next morning. Have you checked your flight availability?

For quick exit to the airport, I would park at the Speedway Shopping Center, which is located about 1 mile west of the main entrance to the track (turn 1). Your best bet is to walk to your car immediately after the race. Once you get to your car, which is parked by the Interstate, you are no more than 15 minutes to the airport.

Good luck

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yeah I leave when the checkered waves, from my seat (our seat? ;)) to my car at the airport was ~1 hr. and I'd be in the first group of buses to leave the speedway.

13. yb360

yb360 Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    WA
    Full Name:
    John A.
    Thank you for this suggestion. I appreciate it.

Yes, I already have my flights out booked, I just need to make sure that I can make it to them.

Thanks again.

14. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    I have just made the call that I am coming up for the 500. Want to see my boy Rubens in his first one!!!

I am going to bonzai up Saturday night flight from DC and fly back Sunday night after the race.

Can't wait. Will be my second ever 500.

Everyone pray for Sun!

MB