Monticello | FerrariChat

Monticello

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by vlamgat, Apr 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Can anyone help with some logistics on this event. I suspect we will not see a schedule until the week of the event so I have to decide when to leave Texas in order to arrive at a date and time where the track will not refuse me entry and there is a possibility of practicing. I have never been to this track and there is very little out there from which one can learn. So getting some solid practice is essential to safe racing especially since the fastest 430 drivers have largely all been there before. In addition I need to arrange accommodation.

So can someone suggest from their inside knowledge and experience what our possible schedule will look like such as

Practice Friday
    Qualification and Race Saturday
    Qualification and Race Sunday - morning or afternoon?

Or
    Practice Thursday (track supported)
    Practice, Qualification Friday
    Race Saturday
    Race Sunday

Or no race on Sunday, only evening event on Saturday?

Makes a big difference to my work schedule as I have to add 2 days to either side of this. I know the arrive and drive squads don't need to concern themselves with this but surely the rest of us DIY contenders have the same question?

Posting here because there is still only lurking chatter on the Facebook page.

2. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #2 johnhoughtaling, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
    We are working on the schedule now and try to get it up early next week. We have the track largely to ourselves so there will be a lot of track time.

A three day format historically follows the same pattern. A three day weekend usually follows the following format:

Day 1 practice all day
    Day 2 Practice, Qualify and race,
    Day 3 early afternoon race, finishing right before or after lunch.

We will likely not do a second qualifier, to be considerate of those that want to conserve tires. In this case qualifying for race 2 will be fast Lap of race 1.

3. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Thanks that helps? Can I infer from the posted dates that the full practice day would be the Friday?

4. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
  5. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Forza. Thanks

6. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    This is the possible schedule?

7. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    This is the schedule. We are waiting on the track for exact times but this is the schedule, day friday is practice, day two sat., practice in AM, qualifying in afternoon and race in late afternoon. Sunday warmup and race before lunch. Qualifying for race two is fast lap of race one. The car count looks very good. We have 26 confirmations with 10 more racers possible, so it will he a great field.

Check out the website www.challengeclubracing.com for new point standings and photos from Daytona.

Also the CCR fan page after Daytona just passed 12,000 fans!!

8. JFatigati

JFatigati Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    John Fatigati
    Looks like we aren't going to make the event, real life says that I have more pressing items. Sorry to miss it, hope you all have a great time!

9. ChallengeClubKim

May 8, 2012
    I should be sending out the schedule today. I am working out one final detail.
    You will have LOADS of track time especially Friday. 7 sessions!!!

Please email me directly with any specific questions. Info emails will go out today about several other things regarding the event.

Kim

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  11. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Very nice weekend.

Perfect weather, beautiful facility, great track for driving. The track is a little narrow for racing, and doesn't have much runoff.

The field size was down, especially 355s and 360s. "Coen Bros Racing" were the only 355s.

Still a good turnout of great 430s. Will continued to have the worst luck imaginable.

I had a mechanical issue Sunday on the next to the last lap.

Looking forward to NJMP.

Mark

12. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    17 cars took the green on Sat and only 13 cars on Sun. The only other 355 besides Colin and I had a mechanical after a single practice session Sat morning so it did not race. Disappointing to travel 1700 miles just to race my garage mate. Need to get you back out Rob!

As Mark said, the track is fantastic from a driver's perspective. Technical, great flow, long and scenic, elevation, etc. Probably one of my favorite tracks, I enjoyed it so much that I never wanted to get out of the car. During the Friday practice day we had 7 sessions and I ran 6 of them, only missing one for a tire change. I would have run all night if the let me.

Also as Mark said, tough to race on. I did not have a lot of wheel to wheel action but in the few laps I did I knew passing would be difficult, especially against a higher hp car where you can't get close enough for a braking zone pass.

I will miss NJMP, but looking forward to Road Atlanta.

13. AC9

AC9 Rookie

Apr 12, 2011
    NYC
    Fun weekend. Missed John, Franco and Joe.

Congratulations to Paul for a double podium weekend with a 3rd place Race1 finish and a 2nd place Race2 finish!

14. Paul430c

Paul430c Karting

May 26, 2004
    Virginia
    Thanks for the shout-out, Alfred. I certainly had a great time and was happy with the result. A big weekend for you as well! You're on top of the leader board!

I'm really enjoying the venues and the company of all the racers in CCR.

15. Paul430c

Paul430c Karting

May 26, 2004
    Virginia
    Here is my in-car video from Race 1 at Monticello. I reduced the 30-minute race to a 12-minute highlight reel. There are several bobbles and dramas that I call out in the video.

https://vimeo.com/42813991

16. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Very sorry I missed the event. This was a strange Round for turnout bc we had 30 cars registered a week before then event and then somethong strange happened, a bunch of us had issues. The good news is the event saw the addition of a bunch of new guys. We have a good turn out for new jersey. I understand Team Pilota will be back at NJMS strong with 8 cars.

I sure wish I could short Will Haney's luck!

17. Paul430c

Paul430c Karting

May 26, 2004
    Virginia
    #17 Paul430c, May 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    John, here is the grid from Race 1. It still looks great. Mark's car is just out of frame on the right. We had great weather and yes, there were a lot of new faces. Wish you were there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Paul :

Congrats on such a spectacular finish. That was a deep 430 field with a lot of good drivers and you drove great!

19. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003

Paul had a great weekend, and well deserved, a clean, fast gentleman racer.

20. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Congrats Paul!!!