Price to Put the Ferrari Shields on the side. | FerrariChat

Price to Put the Ferrari Shields on the side.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Patek, Apr 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    How expensive is it to get the shields on the side of the car.
    Thanks,
    John

2. ddnguyen

ddnguyen Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Duane
    If you just get metal shields it's around $200-$300 but if you properly recess the fenders like the factory it will run much more (around $1500-$2000) depending on the shop.

3. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Thank you so much for the reply. I thought those were the correct numbers for the real thing.
    Best,
    John

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    More like 5K if done right. You're talking about a lot of painting and fender embossing.

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Easily!

6. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    If you want real Formula One Scuderia Shields, they are stickers.

7. 456GD

456GD Karting

Nov 14, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    George
    +1 (and goes without saying that if you get bored you can remove and retain originality)

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Which car? The 456M's hood is one giant piece of carbon fiber. I don't think you can properly french the insets with a CF hood.

Cheers,

George

9. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Depends on the car as I see you have a Fiberglass, metal, and currently no 456. All 456s had Kevlar + CF hoods, and where the shield goes is almost exactly where the extra reinforcing is for the hood.

Best on the 456 to use Yoshi or stickers. Can't comment on the older ones you have. That's a personal matter in that model area.

10. ddnguyen

ddnguyen Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Wow didn't realize how expensive that can get! Not worth it in my opinion at that cost.

11. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Keep in mind that the factory shields, even though fitted into the indented fender, are still not completely flush with the fender. By getting thinner aftermarket shields and bypassing the embossing process, you can have almost the same effect for only a few hundred dollars.

12. Trabots

Trabots Formula Junior

May 15, 2011
    Perth, West Aust
    Full Name:
    Willy Stobart
    This thread sure shows where most have their priorities. 10 responses in only a day after a posting about putting racing fender shields on the rare fortunately unblemished fender of a street Ferrari.

Nil responses after being alerted to the bent, pinched, power draining exhausts which exist on their cars. Ironic that most want to identify with Ferrari race cars but have no interest in unlocking the performance potential there for the taking.

In Oz they would say 'what a bunch of girl's blouses'.

13. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    ?????

I don't have shields on my car, but "to each his own taste." These are road GTs and the factory itself offers the shield option. "Unlocking the performance potential" beyond the way the car left the factory requires compromises that some want to make and other's don't.

I don't know which thread re upgrading exhausts you're talking about. There have been many threads on aftermarket exhausts. (I even commented recently that I liked my Tubi's sound and lighter weight; I'm sure it also adds a few horses as well). No need to badmouth posters here. Are you just looking to annoy someone?

14. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    You must have missed the exhaust thread I started a few days ago. Many thoughtful responses that lead me to a logical course of action. And remember, some 456 owners actually like their quiet factory exhaust systems (And smooth-riding stock 17" wheels, for that matter). I want a little more sound and freer flow, so I'm going to start by simply replacing the center muffler with straight pipes, but I don't slag people over disagreements of taste and sensibility.

Cheers,

George

15. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Start by being civilized and fill out your profile, so we'll know who we are corresponding with.

Verum23 likes this.
  16. Thackray

Thackray Karting

Aug 29, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Philip Thackray

"FLAME ON"

17. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    +1

cheers,

Bill

18. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    #18 wbklink, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Trabots

Trabots Formula Junior

May 15, 2011
    Perth, West Aust
    Full Name:
    Willy Stobart
    I have now filled out the irrelevant information. Forums however should be impersonal. Posts should be read and responded to for the content without relating it to how many Ferraris the poster has/had or if he even owns a Ferrari or if the poster has in the past offended the resident guru. The key bit of info is now in there. As a retired Mechanical Engineer, I do usually know of what I speak technically. Sorry for not filling that out when I joined.

20. Trabots

Trabots Formula Junior

May 15, 2011
    Perth, West Aust
    Full Name:
    Willy Stobart
    #20 Trabots, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    "Forums should be impersonal?" We try to treat each other with respect and good humor, whether the member drives an Enzo or a clapped out Honda Civic. Many of the members are engineers, scientists, licensed racing drivers and jet fighter pilots, so they know a thing or two about performance. Not all of them fill out the profile, but they do speak to each other in a civil manner.

22. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You're right, 3" exhausts do blow hard.

23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Get over yourself. Many think the shields look good on their 550, and why does it offend you (it seems) if someone wants their car looking perfect for themselves? RE the exhausts; most alternatives actually add power and most certainly are lighter. The stock 550 system is insanely heavy, the weight lost by replacing the stock exhaust is a performance additive already.

24. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    #24 cwwhk, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
    Ha ha ha, now that's brilliant, but it seems you have offended a few people. My solution on the 430 Challenge was to put sticker on aluminum cut to shield size, looks OEM in pictures but saved about 200 grams weight on the car. Now I have 6 OEM shields lying around.

25. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Very well, now that we are on the right track I would suggest you do not jump to the conclusion that just because we are discussing shields here, we are only interested in appearance and not in substance.
    There are many threads discussing exhaust and other technical issues that you may find interesting and / or that you may want to contribute to.
    Welcome to this site, BTW.
    A.