Barn find.... today | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Barn find.... today

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by davehelms, May 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Retired EE, a sharp guy who took on the challenge of building his Log Home, on the side of a cliff, by himself. He has a long broken down D2 Cat dozer along side the house I may just have to get as well. He bought it after the war (WWII Marine) and used it cutting roads and clearing his homestead. Like I really need that...... something older than my Ferguson tractor and much more capable of getting into trouble with.

I suspect that building the house had something to do with the lay up. A partial story I was told was of a girlfriend insisting on a proper house rather than his small Log Cabin... so... The other factor being the calipers went south some 13-14 years ago. I remember him bringing me the calipers to have them sleeved / rebuilt about that time. Looks like the new pads were never bedded in and I suspect the fuel went bad inbetween. Took the trim off to paint.... I suspect there were a lot of reasons for the lay up.

I am giving him a personal recorder so he can give me all the stories and history when they pop into his head. It isnt like its a special car... its just a special person with a great car and I want to know. The fact that someone wanted to know... that put a sparkle in his eyes... good enough for me.

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Good to see good things happening to good people. Congratulations, Dave.

3. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

This is what these cars are all about, my friends. :)

4. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Great story. One of the reason why a lot of people enjoy these old cars. When you get enough of the recordings and transcribe them please post them somewhere with a link here so we can all read them. Make sure the gentleman knows that there are people all around the world waiting to hear his story. Thanks

5. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    I'm already that guy - for better or worse, including the gravel driveway.
    Warren

6. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    That's very kind of you to say, thank you! When you are back this way, stop by so I can put you behind the wheel of your old car. We used your 355 as our test mule for the development of our Innovations line. Now there is zero chance I will ever get it from the one you sold it to... just wont happen. Still looks identical to when it went to its new home, but that is the only thing unchanged, its an outright animal now and still sounds as it always did. I think you would be pleased.

Having worked shoulder to shoulder with my father on so many different restoration projects over the years, it was an incredible honor to have him with on this pick. Having my daughter Jenni express there was zero chance she would be left behind at the shop, she too wanted to be a part of this. I am not sure who this was more special for, the old owner of the car or myself. Truck/trailer/car sliding down the hill, Diamondback skin shedding under the car that was up on rough cut log blocks, finding the vacuum tube radio (he was an EE for Motorola) tastefully hidden under the dash, cutting locks on sheds that have not seen the light of day in good many years.... and the shed searching starts again this weekend so we don't cut into anymore shop time when we are already behind.

As crazy as it sounds, it would have been less a thrill for me if it was all together, running and easily loaded. When we unloaded it at the shop yesterday, spent some time and heard it run once again, saw the amp gauge swing the right way, oil pressure up where a proper engine should have it, it was at that point Jenni said "there is no chance you are going to cut this up, this is getting restored!". I think its time to hand over control and allow her to take the lead on this and decide this cars future. Her making that statement tells me she is ready to face the challenge and make the hard choices that come with that type of decision. Passion V. Economics... this is far from a foregone conclusion still, and now I think its her problem.

Telling the old guys story is of the utmost importance to me, having Jenni face hard decisions and take the lead... watching her set budgets and direct her Grandfather and myself for that matter, on what she wants us doing to it... this will be interesting, at least for myself. I would hazard a guess and bet she will have that old tube radio on Dad's work bench yet today.

dailo likes this.
  7. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Make sure there's enough memory (or tape, or whatever) in that recorder! And let the guy know he should feel free to slip in as many Motorola stories as he can remember as well!

And try to avoid the urge to slap on too much carbon fiber when you restore the D2. Some things are best left heavy.

8. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I look forward to the progress!

9. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    What a fun project!

10. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    Fascinating stuff! And a great find. Looking forward to following this.

GT

11. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #36 davehelms, May 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This AM Dad just shared some of the stories he was told when I was cleaning out under the car.. Stories of Hwy 1 CA cruising in this car, Mountain driving in CO..... there is much to hear from this gentleman!

Oh... the D2 (or D4, I am not sure yet). That will be a VERY difficult sell to my wife! She is quite tolerant of my 'collection habits', but this would test it to an extreme!!! Why do I need it? Havent a clue..... but its calling my name! His neighbor told me the brakes have not worked in decades and he would just drop the blade to slow down on the steep hills, leaving VERY deep ruts in the road. Working all day long on things requiring finesse... this would be something of a change of pace in the evenings!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have done that, with a TransAm pulling a 19' boat...glad you found some solid dirt!!!

It's a bad feeling to be "all on" the brakes, yet still moving...LOL!

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Mustang Power Products here would have fun with that one, probably end up out front all sparkly under the Christmas tree display....I'll have to show those pics to them..

14. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #39 davehelms, May 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Robin Breiland likes this.
  15. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Lovely story - I hope he gets to see the finished product (back on the road but not too shiny).

That bulldozer will be a b**ch to get down the gravel road - good luck with that.

+1 on the request for pictures of the inside.

16. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Could be either a D2 or D4. You'll need to Check the Serial Number. I suspect a D4 based on the front grill, but heck... what do I know?

D2 won't be good for much more than clearing a path through light brush, maybe pushing gravel around, or digging a shallow pond ... seriously. But, if it's a D4 (at about a ton heavier than the D2), it would be much more useful.

The only advantage of the D2 (especially for the military) was the lighter weight allowed more aircraft to be able to carry it, but it was very limited in what it could clear.

Nice car... are you going to do a blow-by-blow documented with photos if you decide to rebuild it?

(I sure hope so!)

Mike

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks!

This thread is simply lifting my spirits......I went crazy when the unemployed musician dating the evil idiot niece, came into the party to inform he had smashed my parked car....

I was 'you have GOT to be kidding", but alas, he was not.

These threads serve to remind us that craftsmen hammered it out, so a craftsman can hammer it BACK out.....LOL!

18. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Looks great as-is!

+2 on same.

19. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    That car tells a story!!!

If I were to get it I would get it mechanically right and drive her just as she sits!!!! I would make sure the Cavallino was on there the right way just to remove onlookers doubts though. What a great find Dave!! I look forward to its progress as well!!!!

PDG

20. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    Very cool Dave. I am glad that you are involved and can help the guy. I look forward to hearing the entire story.

21. 430 scuderia

430 scuderia Guest

Jun 10, 2008
    Really nice barn find..!

Best

22. RyanH

RyanH Karting

Jun 17, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Nice find, this would be a fun project to complete! Sub'd for progress.

23. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #48 davehelms, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
    Reality is well into the bluring stage for this gentleman, I now believe it to be a two owner car. I think he bought it when a year or two old but do not know that to be the case at this point. Kerry will be able to sort out those details when the time is right for that effort. At this stage there are other priorities that require the attention.

At this time I must keep my focus of just getting the car to a point where I can put him back in the drivers seat if only for a whirl. I was wishing to bring it back to its former glory before that happened but logistics might change that plan. I have to keep grasp of the fact that 85% time I put into it at this point, working towards that end, will be lost if this car is to be saved. I must write that time off as a personal quest, one where a monetary payback will never be seen.

My second point of focus is to tell this gentleman's story... any story, whatever it might be. He has been living alone on top of a mountain with his Pride and Joy Ferrari for decades, he is a WWII Marine Vet, a EE .... and grew to be a friend I was happy to see stop by once in a great while. I will tell it as I hear it, and fact checking can be done later. His memories, those are what I want at this point. We are well into the time where we are loosing our "Greatest Generation" all too quickly... and I wont have their stories lost to time if I can help it.

The story of how a local Firefighter and his lovely young family, along with other neighbors, all pitched in to make sure this old man was safe and warm in the house he built himself but never finished. The story of how handshakes still were a binding sales contract, where prices were not even negotiated, only vaguely discussed prior to the car being taken, with simple trust in one another taking front stage.

Can the car be saved? Anything is possible, but is it economically feasible? With the Diamondback skin shed found under the car... that will make the missing parts search this weekend a bit of an adventure! Deafer than a post to the rattle, I cant hear the fool things myself and come close to stepping on them often at home. I will have to borrow Dads spare hearing aids and don the knee high snake boots for the weekend. Maybe it will be restored but I am starting to question that, only time will tell, surely it is worth a great deal more as parts at this stage.

Will it drive again? Damn sure right it will... if only for a little while, down some back dirt roads in the mountains, looking a bit less than it did in its hayday. I dont think there is time for a restoration to happen and that drive take place. At this point priorities must be picked... and I have mine.

24. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    Regardless of how far you are able to go with this car, it is a major step forward that it is back out in the sunshine and back in circulation. I am sure someone somewhere will be willing to undertake the resto of this car.

25. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Apart from the cosmetics, is there a lot wrong with it mechanically (that you can tell)?

if it were me I'd forget former glory, do the needful and get it running and registered (probably no small challenge) and drive it as is.