What is everyone doing for front license plate? | FerrariChat

What is everyone doing for front license plate?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by futureferraribuyer, Jun 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. futureferraribuyer

futureferraribuyer Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2010
    Finally got my plates from DMV and installed rear plates. Do I take a chance with no front plates? Especially interested in what everyone is doing in OC area where I see numerous cars without front license plates; however I'm sure if anyone is going to be nailed, it's the guy in the Ferrari and not the Hyundai...

For those with front plates, how did you install it? I saw few options for holders and none of them look attractive or particularly functional...

Thanks,

2. shawxhurst

shawxhurst Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve Hawxhurst
    Look in FerrariAds under 8 cylinder parts. There's a guy that makes up a pretty good looking well made holder that's easily removable/replaceable. You could buy one now for insurance and go plateless until you get busted. Or, you could move to San Diego. The cops here seem to have better things to do although the lack of revenue stream from this kind of crap may explain why the City is virtually bankrupt!

3. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    Ive seen a nice one that installs into the tow hook receptacle. It's nice because it can be uninstalled at any time and require ZERO mods / drilling. That being said, I don't have front plates installed on my exotic. Got pulled over for speeding 2 yrs ago, and CHP never brought it up.

Cheers,

DL

4. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
    Tow hook mount is the way to go. I HATE front plates and refuse to mount them on any car. However, Ca is 1 of only 12 states that still has this silly rule on the books as an easy revenue generator, so one has to be aware of that. It's the law, so when a ticket does occur I just accept it. But it's only $25 for the ticket and I can afford that for spite (it can help fix a pothole or something right?). But tow hook plate mounts are the best since you can just screw it in, get your car inspected, and then easily screw it off.

5. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    I haven't put a front plate on my 308 yet (didn't even get one from the previous owner) but when I do, I plan to use the clips from http://chairpilotproducts.com/

6. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    +1 on the plate clip. Bob is local to SoCal and his product is perfect. I had a cop start to write me up this week for no front plate and I told him that I simply forgot to put it on after a car show. Literally seconds later in was on the car and cop tore up the ticket.

Sorry, no offense intended but I've seen the ones that screw into the tow hook and it just doesn't look right on the car. Bob's clip goes right where the factory plate mount would have gone. Regardless, no front plate looks good but I've never had a ticket since going to his solution and was averaging 4 a year before it.

7. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    I guess for me it would have to be the VXL3 model (http://chairpilotproducts.com/index.php/products/model-vxl3/ferrari-430). Looks just as goofy as the tow hook version since the plate is not in the center!

But, in a pinch having either model -- clip or tow hook -- in the boot (or garage) is a good idea.

Cheers,

DL

8. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Just leave them off. It sure beats getting the annoying "no front plate $25 fix it ticket" I think that just having the rear plate on and not the front draws more attention vs no plates at all. Just my .02

9. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    I know people who even after 2-3 yrs of purchasing their car, still have the dealer blank plates on and the new purchase temp registration adhered to their windshield. Says it helps avoid tix at red light intersection cams since car can't be identified w/o a plate (front or rear)...

10. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nothing. CA can Bl*w me.

11. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    I haven't had any plates on my CLK/BS for over 2 years ... they are tucked away in the trunk. I run dealer plates and think that because my car looks new, maybe LE think it's just a new car.

I once drove a Mazda3 for 5 years with the dealer plates ... had the new car registration taped in the window for all that time.

California

G

12. JC 550M

JC 550M Karting

Feb 22, 2008
    Murrieta
    Full Name:
    JC
    I agree on no plates at all. Even with my daily p.o.s. beater i do not have plates at all. Just keep clean dealer plates and the temp in the window and dont drive like an ******* and you will be ok. Have not had plates for 9 years. When i did get pulled over for driving like the aforementioned *******, i just told the cop i ordered vanity plates and they had not arrived.
    JC

13. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I haven't had a plate on my car for 8 years, no incidents yet. (Knocking on wood) ;)

14. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I have been in South OC for the past 16 years and have no front plates on any of my cars. Never a problem until recently where I got a $20 correction fine from CHP instead of a speeding ticket :) Added front plate to the SUV (just a work horse), but none of our other cars have front plates, and never had.
    Jes

15. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    NOTHING!! been pulled over 3 times... 2 for speeding and once cuz officer just wanted to look at my car!! ticket twice for speeding... never a mention about no front plate!!

16. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    problem with those clip ones that are posted here is that I don't see how they will fit on a 360, there is no grill in the middle.

I have the tow hook version and I hate the way it looks but it works very well, I just leave it on.

When I take my front bumper off to install skid plates, I will just drill holes and install a plate properly. Its just 2 small holes in a fiberglass bumper, easy for the next owner to fix. In Santa Barbara the cops seem to enforce front plates occasionally and while at work with the 360 parked in a UCSB lot they give out tickets for no plate, they seem to enforce the front plate more than street cops.. So a front plate it is, i don't need to give another reason to pull me over.

17. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    He has a clip for the 360 but it has to go in the side grills. Not as nice as having it centered. You'r right about parking tickets - the parking enforcement people will give out no plate tickets if you're parked on the street, at least in santa barbara. I think there was a thread a while ago about it.

18. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #18 roadracer311, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Since moving to SoCA in 1984, I have owned a Maserati, 2 Corvettes, a Porsche, and 2 Ferraris and none of these have ever worn a front bumper. I have never been tagged, let alone stopped for lacking one. Maybe I am lucky but I don't think that our police forces have the time for this unless they need some probable cause to stop you.

20. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    No front plates here. I got two tickets within 6 hours of each months back in Beverly Hills and Sunset Plaza. Never had any issues in other cities including Pasadena. I keep my front plates and set of zip lock in the area for LA parking. Last week I got pulled over doing 78 on the 210 in Glendora and I didn't have my license or front plate, He looked at the car, checked registration and told me to keep it under 80. :) But he did make a nice remark about my Silver TR and 1199 runs I have been on, he said he had seen the car.

21. DoctorWill

DoctorWill Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
  22. Fcar99

Fcar99 Karting

Apr 6, 2009
    Dont mount either one. Put them behind the the seats and show them if you need to.

23. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    You guys may want to start playing the lottery every week. With luck this good, you can't lose!

I got ticketed for no front plate, and the way the ticket was written I had to appear in court. From what I learned later, the officer had just left a funeral for a fellow LEO & was on a mission to put people in their place. Not fun...

24. futureferraribuyer

futureferraribuyer Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2010
    Thanks everyone. I was toying with the idea of just leaving dealer plates on but after reading the last post I will install with tow hook. $25 ticket I can live with but going to court sounds like a huge hassel at the minimum.

25. HRCVF750

HRCVF750 Karting

Jul 13, 2006
    La Canada, Ca.
    Full Name:
    M. Lyle
    I just got a $54 ticket for no front plate while the car was parked in a public parking lot and my wife and i were having lunch at a nearby restaurant. it's just not worth the time and trouble to run around with no front plate.