Are Challenge Cars Street-legal? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Are Challenge Cars Street-legal?

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by DavidSB, Dec 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Christopher Winfield

Nov 12, 2003
    Just took my 355CH out on the street for the first time... driving around New Orleans and doing a charity run to Childrens Hospital. The car was fantastic and not nearly as difficult to live with as I thought. People were going nuts over the car...the sound was amazing echoing off the buildings. I am so in love with this car.... and so was everyone else in town.... assault on the French Quarter next... I HIGHLY recommend a challenge car for the street... if you like a raw sports car experience...

Kind Regards,
    Christopher

2. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Nice going Christopher. Evo magazine calls the 355 Challenge the first Ferrari Challenge Stadale. It's a lot of fun on the street. People love that car.

I was in Sebring this weekend at Chin with a 430 Ch, a 430, 2 Scuds and an Enzo. What car did everyone want to go for a ride in?
    You guessed it. The 355 challenge!

I must of had over 30 people asking me for rides ( young,old, guys, girls). It was crazy! I felt rude because I had to limit the rides.

It was a rough one at Sebring for a bunch of folks. A NEW 430 Challenge crashed into a tire wall backwards doing about 120mph. A BRAND NEW CUP car (A christmas present I heard) went straight thru a tire wall at 80mph with the instructor in the car. The ENZO blew it's brakes out. A Porsche turbo crashed into another Porsche 911. A Miata lost a wheel and spun out of control for about 25 yards. BMW M3 blew an engine. The list gone on. It was a crazy. Black flag after black flag, They are some cars and people that should not be out there!

3. Christopher Winfield

Nov 12, 2003
    Its a big trap once you start giving rides. I did alot of that for the French Quarter Classic....I was happy to do it but once you start the line never ends. However, there was a time when I would have killed just to sit in one so I like to let people in on the experience of a ride.

I think you should be happy you weren't involved in any of that mess... wow... losing the Cup car must have been tragic for the owner but you would think someone who bought a cup car might have some prior race history... the Scuds are impressive. When I did the charity race the other day they had a Scud and a Nissan GT-R which gave the Ferrari fits....quite an impressive car though boring looking. Will you be at Cavallino? I want to teach you a lesson on the track. Lol. It would be great to meet you. You can give me advice on driving the car.... I'll take some photos in the French Quarter this weekend...

Christopher

4. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    #29 gatorgreg, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
    I'll do Cavallino if you go, but I really don't like driving at Moroso or PBIR. It's just a big go-cart track. It's not a lot of fun for a Ferrari. It's also a very crowded weekend and expensive. I want to start organizing some challenge cars for the FCA Event at Sebring in march, but FCA has not released the dates yet. Sebring is a great track and lots of ferrari history. We could organize ourselves and run on the track at the same time. Sebring is well worth the trip.

5. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    It's not official but the FCA event at sebring is scheduled for April 3-5.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yours is the Challenge Car from Franco's Party?

We spoke briefly, after you won your award......

You wear a helmet all the time, due to the roll bar???

7. Christopher Winfield

Nov 12, 2003
    No, my bar is fully padded, however I am taking a chance when I drive it without a helmet. I look at it like the risk motorcycle riders take. Clearly if something bad happens to a motorcyclist they are in deep trouble. Its a tradeoff. Interestingly I drive a Honda S2000 as a daily driver... there is lots of steel frame for me to hit my head on there too...I am 6' so its close to my head. Admittedly it is risky behavior but when I drive on the street its very sedate...just to a restaurant or to a soccer game... its too much fun to hear the exhaust resonate off of buildings in the city....especially the French Quarter where there is little room between buildings... it is one of the best parts of the www.frenchquarterclassic.com If you do a search on youtube.com you can find some interesting videos....

8. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

Rob, All 360 Challenge cars have VIN's, located on the steering column just like other Ferrari models

bg

9. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I've been considering a '95 355 for a while. I heard they are street legal but raw. Just once (OK more than once) I'd love to raucausly pull up to a restaurant and climb out the window.

I know you don't have to (climb out) but I would just for the fun of it.

10. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

dont do it in a 360CH...............u might have to become a contortionist

11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Sounds like someone named Tim.

His Challenge car was a silver 2001 360 from Scottsdale Ferrari. I drove it before he bought it at PIR for a Penske day there for corporate ppl.

I told the buyer during a Ferrari dealer dinner "Whatever you do don't crash the car. Sitting on the hood car cost more than a new Saturn. Dont breath on the car...ect..ect.." Of course I heard through the grapevine it hit a wall at PIR. Dont know about the title. He was a partner in Scottsdale Lotus for a while

12. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Am i correct in saying that it is dangerous driving with a roll cage without a helmet becuase of the injuries that can occur if you crash and your head gets banged into the rollbar?

13. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, and somehwat more likely as roll bar is also closer to your head

M

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We did the Classic in 2004, a wonderful time...hard to keep up with 288GTOs and Enzo's in a 308GTB, but we gave it a try!

15. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Ok, so what's the problem having racing seat belts vs. normal ?? Would think these oughta keep one really anchored in the seat vs. slopping around with regular belts.

16. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    In my area, illegal in a 4 seat car, its because they (could) obstruct the rear passengers.
    In a 2 seat car, no idea although I'd guess that it would be because the vehicle was originally safety tested with "normal" belts, and fitting 4 or 6 point harnesses is a change from "as approved" ,
    Also, in Australia, the belts need to be marked as meeting "Australian Design Rules" which AFAIK 4 or 6 point harnesses don't. The other issue is that harnesses are not "self adjusting" like an inertia reel seat belts, and a poorly adjusted ( loose ) harness is not safe either.

M

17. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    #42 OC Speed Junkie, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
    My assumption is that it is an issue of safety as the whole restraint system is not held to a government spec of some sort. I am sure seatbelt mount points have to meet some spec all well as the restraint system. I have heard of people being issued tickets for no seatbelt for driving with harnesses "camlock" on the street. I am unsure of how the law applies to harnesses that have a traditional buckle.
    I have 3 inch 6 point harnesses in my daily driver as well as the stock seat belts. I have not used the stock belts in years, I feel and am a lot safer in the harnesses. Been pulled over several times, never an issue with the belts and they are bright red.

18. Kristian

Kristian Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2008
    Seattle area
    nice car! :)

19. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    correct re the ADR's for belts........still with the "special" dispensation for tarmac rallies rego is granted because the 360ch is an odd beast. GT3's in Australia have inertia reel as well as harness points but i know that using the 6 point harness is categorized as illegal because once strapped into the seat vision is limited for normal road use.

20. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks

21. Tim

Tim Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    yes that was my 2001 360C that I registered. first problem is you need to get a title. I sent the bill of sale to my attorney in Montana. he got the title then registered it. recieved montana plates and registration in the mail. all good to go. then montana filed the paperwork and the selling dealer/ferrari was notified because the VIN number is one digit short of a standard VIN number. Ferrari told montana it was a race car and was very dangerous to be on the street. montana called me and said if I did not return the plates and registration within 5 days they would file suit against me. so I sent the plates back.

one way you can register it in AZ is to cover the VIN, bring receipts for motor, trans, seats, misc parts and tell them you built it as a kit car. they will assign a VIN and give you title, plates and registration. I have done this 4 times with similar vehicles.

22. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    It also probably had to do with the "B" in the serial # instead of an "A" All the 360CH's had Euro #s not North American #s.

23. CogitoErgoZoom

CogitoErgoZoom Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2012
    Caves of Altamira
    Full Name:
    Marc
  24. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As far as I know, and there is a good chance I am wrong, but I believe only the 348 and 1995 F355 were street legal. That would make the F355 above not street legal. I think it would be very expensive to turn a challenge car into a street legal car and you'd probably be better off starting with a normal 355 or 360 and doing as many mods as possible to turn it into a challenge car.

25. CogitoErgoZoom

CogitoErgoZoom Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2012
    Caves of Altamira
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Thanks, appreciated. I've thought about that, too, but I'm just in love with the idea for some reason of having a real Challenge car that could be used on the track and the street occasionally, too.

Good gawd, that yellow 360 Challenge is hawt. Figured raise it up off the floor to a reasonable height, street legal tires...good to go. If a car has a VIN it should be registrable, right?

Of course, a lot of people would say just buy a Scud or CS, but I'm just curious if it's actually possible.