930 Turbo Carrera | Page 37 | FerrariChat

930 Turbo Carrera

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by joe sackey, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #901 joe sackey, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #902 joe sackey, Jun 10, 2012
  3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #903 joe sackey, Jun 10, 2012
  4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #904 joe sackey, Jun 10, 2012
  5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #905 joe sackey, Jun 10, 2012
  6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #906 joe sackey, Jun 10, 2012
  7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #907 joe sackey, Jun 10, 2012
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #908 joe sackey, Jun 10, 2012
  9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #909 joe sackey, Jun 10, 2012
  10. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Joe,I've always wanted a Turbo 3.0l.
    What makes them so special in your eyes?

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #911 joe sackey, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    It's first-of-a-series status (which will remain so forever), the original simple concept with just 4 speeds & no inter-cooler, its being faithful to Ferry Porsche's idea of getting more out of less (the reason he loved his own 3.0 car so much), purity of purpose, etc.

As one poster wrote in this thread: "I think the 3.0 930s are the most signifcant street car Porsche has ever made and (and probably will ever make)." Interesting that he should say that being a 3.3 owner who also said he would rather have a 3.0 car. Porsche factory race-car driver & development engineer Jurgen Barth also happens to agree with him.

Personally, I like the car's sleek rear wing and like its nervous feeling too.

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #912 joe sackey, Jun 15, 2012
    The 3.0 Turbo that exists today in the Museum in Teheran, Iran.

Ride-height is due to jack-stands installed under the car. P7 tires still on it!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    answer a question we have on the australian section.
    Years ago a friend of mine had the 1st 3.0 turbo sold it in Australia,it came without a wing,know idea weither the 1st owner ordered it like this or not,colour was a bright yellow with tan leather which included the full leather dash,the car was stolen never to be scene again in the late 90s.
    i must post for you various photos of the ex Alan Hamilton Paris motorshow car when he had it parked at a race meeting when he 1st got it,from memory it carried the rego plates AH908,gosh i liked that cars tartan trim.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I did not know it was even possible to have a functioning 3.0 Turbo without the rear wing! Are you sure?

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Further thoughts:

Just look through this thread and see how much Porsche factory promo, literature and ad material there is (and I'm sure I only have half of it!). It speaks to the importance of the original 3.0 concept to Porsche Ag. Just another one of many reasons I think the original unadulterated (warts & all) pure version of the Porsche Turbo is very special.

Another thought - just look at how important the Turbocharger was in Ferry Porsche's eyes and how successfully he employed it in Motorsports in the early 70s. The first road-going turbocharged Porsche based on their sporting experience was something he was clearly very proud of, and in my eyes I am simply embracing that sentiment by appreciating that first 3.0 version.

16. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    well it doesn't have an intercooler so there is nothing to keep it from using a standard deck lid. if it had a front spoiler, i can't imagine porsche not putting a tail on it. porcshe always said on a 911/911 diravitive, if you had a front spoiler and no rear tail, the balance of the car would be upset at speed. Joe you have a alot of archive pictures (or seem to know where to find them) maybe it will pop up.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Great points which mirror my thoughts: at speed without a tail it would not work! In all my archived stuff I must confess I have never seen a factory-built 930 without a wing, BUT that doesn't mean it didn't happen...

18. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    While Porsche would know better than the rest of us how a front spoiler but lack of rear spoiler would upset the balance of the car at speed, I have seen 911 SCs and 3.2 Carreras that had the polyurathane/rubber front spoiler and no rear spoiler. Although, I suspect cars with front spoilers and no rear spoilers were simply cars modded by owners.

I've never heard of a Turbo without a rear spoiler, but as you stated 3.0 cars did not have an intercooler, so structurally there was nothing to prevent the use of a standard rear decklid.

19. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    100% sure,as a friend whom owned it for about 15 years.Tells the story how not long after it was new,without the rear spoiler it lost rear traction ie spun,not sure what speed or a corner ect.A rear wing was fitted then.
    Perhaps the 1st owner ordered it or had the dealer in Sydney remove it and replace it with a normal lid of a 911?

20. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    #920 idart, Jun 18, 2012
    Joe,

There’s a 6-page article in the May 1988 issue of Sports Car Illustrated magazine that highlights the different character between the 3.0 liter and post-86 3.3 liter cars. Even in the article’s title: “Porsche 930 and 911 Turbos, Building a Tamer Beast” the author went out of their way to badge the post-86 3.3 models a “911 Turbo” vs. “930”, as did the U.S. Porsche literature at the time. Here’s some passages on the different character of the 3.0 liter:

“I understand that Porsche had to strangle the 911 Turbo to meet U.S. smog laws and I appreciate the fact the spec. sheet says both cars have the same performance. They do not, however, have the same character.”

“What I know after driving both silver turbos pictured here—a 1977 930 and Mohammed’s 1988 911 Turbo—is the old 3.0 liter car was quick and with a personality that forever showed a driver unexpected twists and quirks. That old 930 could be a real kick. It was always fun, and never boring. Compared, the new turbo is fast, not quick, and so domesticated it lacks all the qualities I like in the original 930. “

“Viewed together the 1988, the first Porsche turbo remains a tough, brawny eleven-year-old supercar that can still run the doors off all but a few high-line exotics. The new 911 turbo has the look without the moves, which, to me, makes it only an expensive, nicely executed symbol of what the real Porsche turbo car was all about.”

Rich
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Telling.

22. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    I have seen 1 or 2 early 3.0 930’s without rear wings, and at least 2 with ducktails. Each done by the owner to thier taste at the time. Functionally there is nothing that would adversely affect the car in running it without its tail.. other than the lack of down-force which it was designed to provide, and I believe this would be based on sustained top end speeds. Something most these cars rarely see.

However, I personally think it’s almost sacrilegious to have one without its proper tail considering this is the car that’s almost synonymous with the term “Whale Tail,”

The front poly spoiler that you speak of on the SC and Carrera factory option available through Porsche. It was not packaged as “front and rear” spoilers. If you wanted a rear one you could buy that option too… many did not. The front spoiler was later offer by the aftermarket as well.

23. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I can't speak of the SCs. However, I can tell you that in late 85 my Dad was ordering a 3.2 Carrera. In discussing whether to order a spoiler or spoilers, the sales person told us that spoilers were sold as a pair, not individually. Whether that was just made up to sell them as a pair I don't know. However, the sticker on his 86 3.2 Carrera under the options list said "front and rear spoilers" on one line with a single price.

Best regards,
    Dino

24. 4G6308

4G6308 Karting

Jan 15, 2007
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Craig
    #924 4G6308, Jun 18, 2012
  25. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ