The Ultimate "Sticky interior fix" experiment | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Ultimate "Sticky interior fix" experiment

Discussion in '348/355' started by treedee3d, Mar 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    First off, great contribution Fab! excellent detail and pics for others to tackle it themselves. Personally I liked the Plasti dip for a more OEM finish, after 4 yrs it's lasting perfect on everything but the driver side door handle. No biggie, I'll respray it like new :D

And have to say, it is a lengthy dirty job, so if you're not inclined to tackle it Robbie at stickynomore.com is an expert with great customer service.

2. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Question... I have a friend of mine questioning if the brake fluid will do any harm.

He said that the new paint may not adhere to the plastic as it stays in the pores and will eat away at the paint over time.

I would guess the windex, the alcohol etc after the brake fluid would take care of any residue brake fluid.

Thoughts?

David

3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Not sure about the parts, but be careful with it exposed to your skin too long.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=6009001

4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
  5. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    I can tell you easy off Burns the heck out of you. I have 5 Burns on my legs that were pretty deep.

I thought to myself as I was sitting on the garage floor looking at it (easy off) work on my plastic parts, Hmmm my legs are tingling. But I didn't see any overspray. Well it was there.

Mobilized reply by David

6. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Yes, I have heard the same thing about Easy Off. If that stuff eats burnt oven residue I imagine it would eat skin also....

7. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Not an issue at all...once you use windex and rinse the parts properly it's gone. I don't think plastic has any pores anyway???

As for the easy off, it's best to use those yellow dishwashing gloves that go up your forearm and wear long pants.

8. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I can say the parts are holding up very well and the car has seen many hot sunny days with the top down so I still strongly reccomend this method to anyone wanting to tackle their sticky interior...

9. Rvhpno

Rvhpno Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    N.Y
    Full Name:
    F 430
    So without taking the parts off (window switches, gas, trunk switch) what is the best way to clean them, without messing up the switches? thanks in advance...

10. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Excellent thread and photos, great work and the board is a better place for it. Thanks for sharing.

Brake fluid is not a product that is nesessary in this process and the long term effect it could (IMO will) have on the paint and parts is to much of a risk. It is more than likely going to attack the surface even if you have carefully rinsed and prepared the item prior to painting.
    Easy off oven cleaner does the trick very well and is water soluble so can be rinsed away. No need to subject the parts to brake fluid.

Great thread and photos. Congrats on having a great looking interior.

11. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Brake fluid makes the process easier and comes off completely and easily prior to painting by spraying a last spray of easy off and windex and the rinsing under hot water and letting the part dry overnight.

As for the process, I don't reccomend even attempting to do this without taking the parts out of the car. The switches can be done without disassembling them but it takes more than 1 hour for each one since you have to do everything by q-tip and avoid the marking or it will erase. I reccomend sending the switches to stickynomore even if you are doing the other parts yourself.

Letting the easy off work overnight also worked well for me on some of the parts.

12. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Highly suggest you remove all parts BEFORE attempting to put anything on them. Leaving the parts in will lead to chemicals inside your car, down in between crevices, on leather, etc... A huge mess....

13. CLIVE77

CLIVE77 Karting

Sep 10, 2010
    Upper Clatford, UK
    Full Name:
    Clive Spencer
    Some of my black bits are starting to turn sticky after 20 years, but I want to put my car back into the UK Ferrari Owners Club Concours and I need to get a true OEM finish. Does anyone know who did the original coating for Ferrari? If not, is Plasti Dip the only solution and is it really like an OEM finish? There seems little point in even trying to find original 'new' bits in a Ferrari box as even if they exist, they will probably turn sticky next Year! Any pointers would be gratefully received.

14. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Definetly getting new parts from Ferrari is a temporary fix as it will happen again.

I know that Stickynomore does a great job but I'm not sure if they have their own finish or if they actually replicate the oem look.

If it's absolutely something you want to do yourself, then the plasti-dip is the closest to the OEM. However, make sure you prep and sand the parts properly and make sure to use several light coats with drying time in between each one otherwise it can be prone to peeling.

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    The best surface to experiment with trial and error or practice your skills on is a nasty old VHS shell, be it labeled or perhaps more importantly, silkscreened.

The formulation utilizing a host of cleaners I've seen is wrong.

That's all I'm sayin'. ;)

16. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Formula is pretty simple: go heavy with the easy-off let it work itself into the parts for several hours then use a little brake fluid on a rag to get the goo off.

Repeat the process several times and some parts will require that you scrub hard with some steel wool.

Once it's all done, give it a good rinse with hot water then do a final spray down with windex, rinse again and let it dry.

I've done the experiment and it works. It's a lot of work but it works..

17. Gajac

Gajac Rookie

Oct 25, 2006
    Any chance that you have a program for the White Arrows and bar stickers used after painting??

18. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Aside from the decal for the arrows and painted in little white marks, I haven't tried anything else.

19. stevew3765

stevew3765 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    No DOUBT!

20. 355 Shwing

355 Shwing Karting

Sep 9, 2009
    Gulf Breeze, Fl
    Full Name:
    Craig Payette
    I was just doing my ac vents last weekend and I couldn't find my easy off to get the gunk off, so I tried something else that worked almost instantly with very little scrubbing with a tooth brush. It's called Greased Lighting. It can be found at Lowes.

21. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Could this be the almighty answer? GREASED LIGHTNING! (John Travolta has been telling us for years)
    I have used easy off and sometimes it works fairly well but many time its a PITA. The guys around my shop are very leary about using brake fluid and yes plastic does have pours. The ashtray can be stripped in 30 seconds with paint stripper. If the rest of the parts were metal, the whole job from begining to end could be done in 3 hours. As for the switches, take them apart, its easy. Just make sure you disassemble them in a box and when pulling the switch out of the housing that you do it slowly keeping the switch facing up so the springy pin does not fly over your shoulder(very hard to find). All in all a simple but painful job unless the GREASED LIGHTNING is as easy as it sounds. I love doing my own work when I can. I makes taking her out for a drive that much more enjoyable......the car too. :)

22. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    #47 treedee3d, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    For those who are curious, my plastic parts have lasted extremely well and still look great using my method. I'll keep you all updated in the future but looks very promising.

I don't see how plastic is porous but I'm not an expert and may be wrong. However, the oven cleaner/brake fluid combination made my process much easier and washes off completely and easily prior to painting if you follow my instructions.

23. 355 Shwing

355 Shwing Karting

Sep 9, 2009
    Gulf Breeze, Fl
    Full Name:
    Craig Payette

It took about 15 minutes to strip my ac vents with the greased lightning.

24. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    What process did you use? Do you spray it on and scrub, do you let it sit for a while, do you soak it?

I'm curious what method you followed and if you used a rag, a brush, steel wool?

25. stevew3765

stevew3765 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    have you pulled the dash off to redo the leather due to shrinkage? If so. Did you post your process on here somewhere?