250 GTO damaged during GTO tour | Page 2 | FerrariChat

250 GTO damaged during GTO tour

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Symoon, Jul 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Onebugatti

Onebugatti Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher
  2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    OK, perhaps you really believe that Congo is a better place for you and your GTO?.::)

Drivin`this sort of car in Mexico -near the US boarder!- is also a very cosy place to have an accident ...(as an American!).

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  4. tilomagnet

tilomagnet Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    Lots of idiots on the streets, bad hospitals. There may be other reasons.

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Plenty of places just about anywhere that fit that description. ;)

To me the worst part is crashing in a 50 year old car that doesn't even have a padded dashboard. There have been a few safety features added since that one was built.

6. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I don't know if your post is just your ignorance or made in jest/fun. But let me correct your first few words -

"In France, there are too many rules, ..."

See what those French have been up to lately -

http://digitaljournal.com/article/327742

A new law that decrees all drivers in France must carry a breathalyser kit comes into effect on July 1. The law also applies to all vehicles from outside France.
    The new law is aimed at reducing the number of deaths on French roads and stipulates that from July 1 all drivers must carry a single-use breathalyser kit, a high-visibility safety vest, and a warning triangle.

7. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I was discussing this very thing on Friday w/ a friend who also regularly drives his vintage comp Ferraris. There is really nothing between you and eternity in these cars except for a sheet of aluminum and some steel tubing. When you sit in an open car from the '50s, you begin to understand why Masten Gregory would shove one of his feet under his butt on the seat to eject himself when he saw a shunt coming.

Driving a vintage comp Ferrari on the street requires the utmost attention and the grace of God to prevent a moron driving a relatively bullet-proof car from possibly killing you.

Prayers to the Cox family!

8. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Not sure how the traffic rules are in France.

Had it happened here the blame would automatically be 2/3rd on the GTO driver. You must pay attention on left turns.

Hope those involved here are all ok.

9. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Exactly.

10. tilomagnet

tilomagnet Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    The last article doesn't mention anything about the driver's injuries, so hopefully thats a good sign it isnt as bad as initially feared.

11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    So by your logic at what price point is it safe for an American to crash a car in France ?

12. Atombender

Atombender Karting

Apr 6, 2012
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Do you still call French Fries Freedom Fries? I hope this isn't a leftover of anti-French sentiments which developed after France (wisely) decided to stay out of the American Middle East Crusade.

SO a car got damaged in a race, big whoop, repair it. But apparently some people here value a sculpture of sheet metal higher than a human life (see Italian Earthquake topic) which is disgusting.

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I've only seen a few phariseans telling us that we shouldn't care about the car. Cut the crap, I care about the car, which isn't saying I don't care about the people involved, but the cars are why I am attending this site. Best wishes, Kare

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Best wishes for a full recovery.......

Can we stop arguing long enough to get an accurate report on the participants, two days later???

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The only thing that Matters is Ann and Chris's health, very best wishes to both of them.

I saw them and the Davies very briefly in Monaco in May and they were friendly and enthusiastic as ever, I feel really bad for them. Chris let me drive his 375MM for a Prancing Horse article back in 1998, a very special memory thanks to his generosity.

On the way back to Burgundy from Le Mans Classic this morning I stopped in a gendarmerie near Blois and tried to ascertain which hospital they might be in to see if I could help with anything since they don't speak French but Blois hospital did not have them, there was no other way to inquire further.

Someone in the pits showed me a photo Friday of 3445 after the accident, it was a head on shot and the damage was mostly to the front and very significant but the car is totally irrelevant here, anyone not able to understand that needs to reassess...their mind and set of values -NOT talking about money here: values as in education, principles-.

These little news bits in the French media about the accident are uselessly vague, full of mistakes and don't match the photo I saw but I have no information on what happened.

For what it is worth France -I am half French so I can say it- has far too many rules but excellent hospitals.

best regards,

MS

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thank you, Mark.......

17. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Chris and Ann are both OK. She was driving and took the brunt of the hit. Ann hit her head, and broke an ankle. May also have a broken leg. Chris had little injuries. Both are now out of the hospital. Cars are always repairable, just time and money.

18. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    That is great news. Hopefully a speedy and full recovery for both.

The car will be fine.

19. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Glad to hear.

20. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    .....no pictures of the car post crash?

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Let it go..please...thanks for the accurate medical update.....

22. poppy84

poppy84 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2005
    Italy & Paris
    Full Name:
    Andrea
    That's a good news!

23. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
  24. Indy430

Indy430 Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    RJ
    Glad to hear they are OK.

25. pascalt

pascalt Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Pascal
    Good news hope to see them soon driving this wonderful car!