Chinetti Sues Ferrari | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Chinetti Sues Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Aug 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Based on this it's likely that the Barraca connection is a myth and Enzo simply stole the design from Stuttgart.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Someone noticed a golf shirt I was wearing with the F logo, and I entertained him as he made my lunch, with that entire story.......:D

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Someone noticed my car with a F logo and proceeded to have a conversation about Ford Mustangs. I didn't even try to correct them, it was Arkansas. :)

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ..the punch line to my story, is the observation as to what happens right AFTER the horse raises his tail!!!

He laughed SO hard!!

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have had that one too......

6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    So getting back to the original topic of the lawsuit filed by Lou Chinetti against Ferrari in the Southern Distric Federal Court - anyone able to post his complaint? I puit up the link for the Ferrari response.

Jeff

7. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Similar experience but the fellow assumed it was a Porsche symbol.
    From the mouths of ...?

8. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Check out the differences. Position of the horse, positions of the legs, tail and mane hair. They are all different. Has Stuttgart expressed a problem with the the S F horse??? Personally I would be more concerned wth the S F horse being displayed on a replica/ reproduction car in a format to deceive tongascrew

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    #259 4rePhill, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Yes Stuttgart had a prancing horse badge hundreds of years before Enzo Ferrari started to use his in 1932, but no one from Stuttgart ever felt the need to bring a lawsuit to stop Ferrari from using it, and frankly, Stuttgart would have more rights to try to stop Ferrari from using their trademark logo than Chinetti does, based on the inferences being made about the origins of the Ferrari badge!

Enzo Ferrari's version of how he came to have the prancing horse badge is here: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1066503_ferrari-explains-the-history-of-the-prancing-horse-video
    (It also debunks the statements made on Wiki and other sites that Count Francesco Baracca's prancing horse was originally a red horse on a white background. Ferrari himself said that the horse was always black and that he chose to change the background colour to yellow).

As for the law suit, Chinetti's wasting his money if he honestly thinks a US court is going to remove Ferrari's right to their own trademark - that is never going to happen in a Trillion, Billion years!

I can't see him winning his case either if it 's based mainly on the fact that without a Classiche certificate, his cars are worth less than with a certificate - that's down to free market forces, not Ferrari at the end of the day.

Ferrari don't force anyone to have to have a Classiche certificate, you simply opt to have it or not. The fact that most buyers prefer to buy a car with a certificate is not Ferrari's doing, it's the buyers, as they believe (rightly or wrongly), that it gives the car a better provenance to guarantee it future value.

As for the criteria that Ferrari sets for it's certificate, that's up to them, there's no legal standard that Ferrari have to adhere to, they set their own standards that they find acceptable.
    The fact that Chinetti disagrees with how they judge cars for their own certificate is his problem, not Ferrari's, they're not breaking any laws.

Surely though, the basis of Chineti's cars were still based on the original chassis, body and engines that left Maranello, albeit modified for racing, with Ferrari's blessing, so therefore, as far a Ferrari were concerned there was no need to contest them having prancing horse badges on them?

As for the prancing horse badge, Ferrari aren't as restrictive as some companies when it comes to the use of their trademark:

Avanti gas stations and Ducati have both used a logo that looks strangely familiar (and yet Ferrari have never stopped either of them using it!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that doesn't make sense as they restrict Ferrari clubs from using it.

11. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Its my understanding that Ferrari have no exclusivity on the use of the prancing horse by itself, however when it is incorporated with other symbols (such as the Ferrari font and the rectangular badge with the italina colours ) then it becomes part of the Ferrari logo.

M

12. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    No disrespect intended to anyone, but since when have the Italians made any sense to the rest of the World?

They are renowned for doing things their own way!

An interesting article that appears to support this: http://blawg.lehmanlaw.com/english/archives/2007/07/18/257.html

Part of which states:

In the Court, Ferrari averred that the Ferrari, along with the graphic of the horse which is closely tied to the Ferrari mark, should enjoy protection as famous trademarks because the Ferrari trademark has become well known around the world, and it has also gained considerable familiarity among Chinese consumers. However, the Court flatly rejected Ferrari’s claim of fame for its heroic horsy. It states three reasons:

1. Ferrari failed to provide evidence of the use and advertisement relative to the trademark at issue, meaning the “horse.” Ferrari proffered evidence supporting the famous status of a related trademark—“Ferrari”, but that is not sufficient to prove that that the mark in question is entitled to protection as requested.

2. China has established an independent system to recognize famous trademarks. The recognition of “Ferrari” as a famous trademark does not equate to the recognition of the horse graphic.

3. The focal issue in the suit is not the Ferrari trademark; rather it is the “horse” graphic. The “horse” cannot be bootstrapped to the Ferrari trademark for like protection.

That seems to imply that Ferrari cannot stop prevent anyone from using the horse logo.
    (In the case of this site however, it may be an issue due to the fact that the site is directly related to all things Ferrari S.p.A. , be it road cars or racing cars)

13. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    What Ferrari fail to realize is the damage that aggressive litigation like theirs does to ones brand. Regardless of their "legal" argument or what their corporate ownership rights may be, the fact is that this sue-happiness is the mark of a personality that is NOT friendly and who does not play nice, even with their own friends. That leaves an extraordinarily bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

As much as I love their history and the classic GT and sports racing cars they've produced, I have zero interest in their new cars and I openly root against them in F1. Why? Because I get the sense -- right or wrong -- that they aren't nice people. That they don't play fair. That they're arrogant to the detriment of even their biggest fans.

Some day, this aggressive stance will hurt that company, badly.

14. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Hear, hear! This is largely why I today regard Ferrari as a deceaced manufacturer, and that new cars have little if any relation to the ones built in the 50's and 60's.

A lot like Bugatti, now I came to think about it!

Best wishes, Kare

15. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    You wrote what I think since a long time.

16. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    There is a "before Bugatti" and a "after Bugatti. Now we have a "before Enzo Ferrari" and an "after Enzo Ferrari".

17. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Maybe there is a financial link? When Ferrari profits from it, they don't restrict it. Certainly they have ties to Ducati.

Onno

18. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    I would say even the restored cars have no relation to the ones built in the 50's and 60's..

19. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I somehow doubt it!

Ferrari are no more aggressive about protecting their trademarks and IP's than any other company, be they Ford, Coca-cola, McDonald's, Disney, Harley Davidson, Apple or whoever!
    (In fact, based on the number of kit car companies churning out thousands of cheap replicas in different countries and not getting shut down instantly, they're not as aggressive as they could be!)

It's not just companies either, individuals who own trademarks and IP's will defend them just as aggressively as Ferrari would!

(Don't believe Me? - build yourself a replica of a certain one-off Ferrari and see how long it takes before the litigation starts! ;) )

To try and pull this thread back on topic (which is, after all, not about Ferrari filing a lawsuit but being on the receiving end of a lawsuit) :

Do I take it then then your distaste of this: "sue-happiness", also extends to Chinetti and his attempt to have Ferrari's trademarks removed?

After all, His lawsuit does seem to be based on him throwing teddy out the cot because the World prefers their Ferrari's to come with Factory backed certificates these days and he doesn't like it as he can't/won't, get a certificate and so his cars are worth less on the open market.

As I have previously posted, Ferrari do not force, and have not forced anyone into having to get their cars certified, it's simply the way the free market has gone after they made the service available.
    Ferrari haven't told owners and buyers that cars must be certified, it's simply a preference made out of free will. At no point have Ferrari announced that cars with certificates are worth more, it's simply the free markets perception that has made it the case that cars certified by the factory are worth more.

It's no different really to the markets difference in valuation between cars that have been restored and cars that have not.
    The difference in valuation between cars with their original bodies still and those that do not have their original bodies.
    The difference in valuation between high mileage cars and low mileage cars.
    The difference in valuation between an original Ferrari 365 GTS/4 and a converted 365 GTB/4 into spyder configuration.
    Ferrari does not set the values differential on these options, the free market does.

Chinetti's claim that he cannot sell his cars without classiche certification is a nonsense! He can still sell them, but the market will not pay as much for them. If he wants what he believes to be the "true market value" of the cars, he knows what he needs to do.

(However, it's very likely that his previous, successful legal dispute with Ferrari has now come back to bite him in the arse big time! To be fair to Ferrari though, they are under no legal obligation to certify anybodies car, so if they do not wish to certify his cars [for whatever reason], that's up to them [It's merely legal/business chess at the end of the day] Is it fair?: probably not. Is it nice?: not really. Is it merely the way some business goes?: well, yes, it is! ).

As I see the argument being made, it's a bit like owning a Le Mans winning Ferrari that does not have it's original race engine any more but has a replacement engine fitted. The car is worth less with the replacement engine.

Then you discover the current owner of the original engine from your car and attempt to buy it to increase the value of your car, but the engine owner refuses to sell.

So you then try to sue the owner of the engine for the loss of value to your car.

No court is going to uphold such a claim!

And I cannot seriously see any US court taking it on upon themselves to declare Ferrari's Trademarks that they've owned for decades, suddenly being no longer valid because an owner cannot get as much money for his cars in a free market without their certificate.

20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    3 years ago on the TECHNO CLASSICA Show in Essen, Germany, a Ferrari-dealer had two classic Ferraris on his stand, that was located next to the official Classiche stand represented by another German Ferrari dealer.
    Italian people from the Classiche-Dept. forced the other dealer to remove one of the two displayed classic Ferraris, (a 330GTC very original, all matching-no.`s and well known for that!) due to the fact it had no certification by Ferrari.

The car was replaced then by a modern 360!

Hard to understand all this.

21. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Perhaps you missed it, but I believe it is Chinetti sueing Ferrari. Not the other way around.

22. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    mr Ferrari was just as ruthless, if not more ruthless, in protecting the interests of his company as the current board of directors is. No real change there and it is part of what made Ferrari a strong company.

23. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    According to a F Chat post by "andymont" the famous original B&W sepia image showing Baracca standing next to his plane and given to E F by the parents of the pilot was recoloured to show the horse as black on a white background and not the original red on white. Unlike the original which shows the whole horse and more,this colored copy only shows half of the cavallino. In fact the original prancing horse was the long standing emblem of the "Piedmonte Royal Cavalry Regement". I would tend to agree with the premiss that the black cavallino by itself is probably not exclusive to Ferrari unless accompanied by the yellow background and other Ferrari symbols. tongascrew

24. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    No, I read just fine, thank you. My point is general & simple: Ferrari's aggressive stance (instances documented throughout this thread, not just in the lawsuit referred to) alienates friends of the marque, forces actions by former & potential partners such as Chinetti and creates general antipathy for the brand.

When times get tough -- as they do for everyone at some point in time (be it a poor model line or a particularly heavy downturn) -- brand equity and good will is necessary to weather them. I think Ferrari's hostility may leave the company with less than they may realize.

25. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Certainly agree, New money comes and goes, old money would say, dont be so vulgar. And as for those that are saying look at other brands that protect their assets including the value of the name, trademarks etc. I would suggest brands such as the one's quoted are not "forcing" their clients to bring items back to their producer for certification, by using trade practices that may be anti - trust. What is more interesting would be Ferrari's ability to impel clients to restore cars (by them at great cost) so as to meet some originality standard. "Impel" is not of itself illegal BUT when does "impel" become "force" ?? and wouldnt that be anti - competitive ?