Chinetti Sues Ferrari | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Chinetti Sues Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Aug 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I totally agree as well. At Pebble I talked to a lot of people who also agree.

I was very impressed with McLaren at Pebble and how they treated me...

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    How did they treat you, Jim?

3. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    McLaren treated me a lot better than Ferrari did at Pebble.

Who knows where that may lead?

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    A McLaren project in the same vein as P4/5?

5. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    So far I've only heard that having been said of the British!

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
  7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Jim, it was nice seeing you today at the McLaren Tent, those guys, Anthony Sherriff, Anthony Joseph, and the rest of the guys are a class act.

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Nice seeing you too!

They really are.

9. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    At the risk of moving off topic too much, I would imagine they would have to be to be a class act to basically launch a sports car making company with virtually no history of making production sports cars, to me the F1 was more limited edition as apposed to something designed to sell in volume. They have gone a similar charm offensive down here in little South Africa, trying to get all and sundry to drive the MP4 12 C.

In my personal opinion one needs to seperate Ferrari the company from the cars its makes, when you drive a Ferrari do you really are about corporate policy, the same rings true for McLaren, they have had their dark times, the famous alleged spygate scandal springs to mind, the over hype of the Mp4 12C.

In todays world I dont think there is one company which is not "corporate". For perspective, its a well known fact Enzo merely saw road cars as a means to race, he wasnt to interested in customers so those who dont like what Ferrari is today, had you been buying cars in the 50's and 60s would you have had a higher regard for the "corporate" side of the entity?

10. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    It hasn't changed much, except that today Ferrari (and Maserati) are the cash-cows that enable Fiat to make small cars under that brand at a great loss, instead of the cash-cows to fund the racing activities in the old days.

If I had to come up with a company that builds what they want without coprorate ideas it would be Pagani. Their production numbers are so low they almost seem inconsequential, though.

11. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    The current Ferrari-brand is very much 'new money' and the market for vintage Ferrari's does very well on it's own. Calling Classiche anti-trust is way, way off the mark.

At the end of the day, you really want the car or you do not. If you choose not to buy because the factory doesn't treat you the way you want to be treated, then you probably didn't really want the car in the first place. And that is fine. You go ahead and do something else with your money.

12. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Can't say I agree. Pagani is perhaps even more depending on a large manufacturer (engine-wise). I don't really see how Ferrari is limited by being owned by Fiat in terms of technical innovation and styling. On the contrairy even. Now, Ferrari's are the pinnacle of roadcar design, even more than ever. The looks have always been a subject of (fiery) debate, but that is never a bad thing.

13. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    even harder to comment without knowing all the facts.

14. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Great post!

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    OK, then put in the facts you have about this!
    I got my facts from the person who drove the 330GTC off the stand back to the dealer and from the boss of the (then time) Ferrari-dealership.

16. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    The Lawyers tend to disagree.... been there, have the shirt!

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    End of the day this is about money and egos, and it becomes entertainment for those of us that don't have a horse in the race. The market dictates what is a fair price to pay, but doesn't comment at all if the players are rational or irrational.

There are no saints in the Ferrari world; once that's understood, the trees become more discernable from the forest. They are just cars.

18. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Judge, your post had to make me laugh since I've got both horses in this race: 1) I've lusted after Ferraris for half a century and owned Ferraris for over a third of a century !! and 2) I've known Luigi Jr. for at least 30 of those years, having bought from his father my first Ferrari, the prototype 365GTC that is my avatar.

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Lovely Behavior...

20. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I am not happy that the event happened as you described it. On the other hand if it was a franchised Ferrari dealer then having to conform to the factory's directives isn't so hard to understand at a highly public event.

Was the car owned by the dealership or was it on display for one of their private clients?

Jeff

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I was referring to the filed case, I'm not counsel for either party nor a shareholder in Fiat or any of the myriad of holding companies with an ownership stake on either side.

Sitting back with my bowl of popcorn enjoying the show...

22. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I know, I know!

23. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    That is my point. I don't have any facts about this. Not to mean any disrespect, but this is probably another one of those stories that have two sides. And why would anyone oblige to Ferrari if they demand a perfectly good car to be removed from a exhibition just because it has no Classiche certificate? Surely that doesn't make any sense.

24. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Marnix, I've noticed that a lot of this doesn't make sense to you, no disrespect. Once you know a little more about Ferrari and Classiche you'll understand better and not question members like Walter who are in the know.

In this case it's very simple: Ferrari makes the rules. They want to sell Classiche. Authorised dealer has non-certified Ferrari on stand. Ferrari asks to remove it. What would you do as the dealer in question? Bite the hand that feeds you, or...?

It's easy standing on the side line with no interests involved to have an unbiased view, not so much when you're in the field.

Again, no offense, just an observation.

Best, Peter

25. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Well, there you go. You talk about Ferrari asking them to remove it. Walter is talking about forcing them to remove it. Quite a difference, no?

Of course the dealer can decide to honor the request (which isn't so strange in itself, considering Ferrari's interest in having their cars certified), but if he does, why complain about it? And if he doesn't complain about it, why does Walter?

In the end, honoring the request is all about money. Don't bite the hand that feeds you, as you said. Ferrari started Classiche to make money. Same goal. And now Ferrari is the bad guy in all of this. Really?

And who of us is really 'in the field'? And you don't have to be 'in the field' to know what makes sense and what doesn't.