The Daytona is not loved. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The Daytona is not loved.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by amenasce, Aug 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, a very nice piece on your car in the current Octane Magazine with some great pictures. Interesting Power Steering Set Up. I love the interior of the Daytona. Beautiful clocks, seats, steering wheel and lots of space. It's just a great place to be. And that's even before you start it up and hear the sound of the truly fabulous engine. Although I would prefer and absolutely love the Miura SV for different reasons, and it would have to be the SV as I would prefer the Daytona to the Miura P400 and P400S, I have to say the Daytona was a better car and the best all round sports car in its day as it was so fast, refined, sophisticated and practical too.

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Rick, Shark01 is using logic (whether you agree with it or not) and patience in debating his point with you. I think your tone is uncalled for.

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I like the Grifo very much. They are absolutely beautiful. I've sold a few of them, admittedly with the 5.7 engine. Though with its Chevrolet OHV engine it's not a thoroughbred in the same league and an Iso is not a Ferrari. Sorry. The market prices change constantly.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I actually like the fact that it doesnt have as much curviness as the previous models as thats why the Daytona looks more aggressive/beastly. Whereas i can picture a 275 GTB being owned by a gentleman, the Daytona makes me think of a Playboy.

-K1- likes this.
  5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The Grifo value really astounded me. Same price of a Daytona for a nice car with no racing history and a Chevy engine. Beautiful car though..

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Good post. There's a Playboy in all of us and the Daytona would have been THE car to bring that out in its day. However, the car should not be dismissed as merely a "Playboy's thing" as that would be to deny its towering ability and automotive supremity. Today, the Daytona makes me think of a Nobleman.

7. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I can picture a woman behind the wheel of a 275, but not with a Daytona. It's a man's man's car

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    This woman you can picture must be very beautiful!!! Catherine Deneuve, Claudia Cardinale, Sophia Loren?

9. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Exactly and NOT Kim Kardashian or any of her contemporary scrubbers :D

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Ha ha, I'm ROFL. Really, I am!!!

11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    So you compare the top of the TR market to the lower end of the BB market? Bottom of the market TR's are in the 40's. Bottom of the BB market is in the 80's. Can you even find a running, driving BB for under 90k? A quick search shows two running/driving TR's for 40's.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I find this thread so amusing.

Obviously, none of you owned a Dino in the 80's. In the 80's, it was the Dino that was not loved and the Daytona was loved on the auction market.

Now, it's the opposite.

The Dino is today's flavor. It will pass, as will this temporary love affair with the color white on cars.

Tastes change over time. What is fashionable today will not be tomorrow.

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The Daytona was actually very highly revered from around 1977 when prices rose sharply and continued to rise until the recession of 1989? when prices of all cars came down.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Exactly.

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    There was no Daytona bashing then and for many years. It was a highly lauded car of which many stories were written. Classic car magazines raved over it.

16. Four7EightBHP

Four7EightBHP Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 20, 2005
    USA - Colorado
    The Daytona is my next one. Current prices may indicate no love but that's okay. I'm looking for one that needs some engine tweaking so the the big cams can be added.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Totally agree. The "drives like a truck" myth is bogus. It's a heavy car without assisted steering but that's because it's a product of it's time.

18. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    IIRC, there is a local Colorado car that fits that bill. Not sure if it's still around though.

19. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I prefer Daytona steering feel to that of the 330GTC. FWIW.

20. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Well, thats what people were saying 15 - 20 years ago, but collectors now better understand these cars and know that they are right on top with the other famous marques.

Here is a car that's chassis was designed by the man (Giotto Bizzarrini) who built the Ferrari GTO, body by Giugiaro and powered by one of the most race winning engines ever the 327 and 427. When Renzo Rivolta had the idea to build the GT he asked Bizzarrini to go out and find what Bizzarrini considered the best engine at that time, he came back with the 327. This is the same man who months earlier designed the Lamborghini V12! Giotto never changed his mind about this. Most of our club members are Ferrari owners or have been Ferrari owners and they know that the Grifo is a true thoroughbred.

The market prices have only gone one direction with Grifo's - up.

21. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #121 velocetwo, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Raced at LeMans many times won it's class listed as Iso Grifo A3C
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    #122 flat-12, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    Compared to mid engined cars the steering of a Daytona feels heavy at low speed, but there isn't that much difference with other front engined V12 Ferrari (without assisted steering), I think. A modern rack and pinion steering (365BB / 206GT onward) is for sure much more precise, than the old worm gear layout. If someone drives an old front engined Ferrari (Daytona, 275, 250) the first time, the statement "drives like a truck" may be not that bogus.

A friend of my father wanted to sell his Ferrari 250 SWB and persuaded my father to drive it because he thought the car is great! My uncle did the engine rebuild, the car was beautifully new painted in red and he knew my father was interested in his SWB. So my father got into his new 308 GTB for the 20km to meet Heinz and had directly afterwards a drive in his 250 SWB. I guess you know what my father sad, after driving?
    It "..... .... . ....." and right, he didn't buy it ;-)

23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ exactly! A friend of mine had a 330gtc and 246 gts. He sold the 330gtc, when asked why the 330 and not the dino, he said the 330 drove like a truck.

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Look at this fabulous beast!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyUQd7dqVbI[/ame]

25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, the Grifo really is a very special car.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtdfM3ugPA4[/ame]