Jag V12 | Page 31 | FerrariChat

Jag V12

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nickt, Feb 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Pete, yes this is the car now, I have sorted out most of the really bad bits, there is still aload more work to do, and as you say a lifetime of sanding!

2. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #752 Nickt, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Nic in pic 3 the right hand side seems to be lower?

4. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Steve, I adjusted the left hand spring to much, I tightened it up and raised the car instead of lowering it

:eek:

I need to raise the right handside I guess. Not sure which was to go with the springs!

5. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    :) Any idea on a finishing date mate? I have been following this since the beggining and looking forward to seeing the finished article.

6. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T

Oh wow, I have no idea, I would guess dependinf if I can get another job, and where I get another job about a year :(

7. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Today I did a job i have been dreading for ages... I rewired and tidied up the wires that run down the middle of the car through the tunnel. As the car has progressed i have added bits to circuits splicing into wires and generally bodging it as I went along. Today I went right through it and replaced everything. Did the earths correctly, used shrink wrapping on the joints and made it all look nice.
    Now the stereo, PC, amps and monitor all work perfectly with no crackles or pops :)
    I also found that the boost gauge and O2 gauge were not working well, so thats been sorted too.
    Hopefuly I will get the turbo rebuild kit this week so I can rebuild my blown turbo. There is a smelly white fog behind the car now everytime I fire it up.

8. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Well done. Having 9.5 fingers & thumbs didn't hamper you too much? ;)

9. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Rich, No not much... Its healing quite nicely now..

10. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #760 Nickt, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After seeing clouds of thick white smoke coming out of the Left bank of the V12 I decided to rebuild the left turbo. So yesterday I stripped it down. The oil seals were completely shot. Both the inlet and the exhaust side were caked in thick black oil, it is no wonder the car smoked so badly, its hard to believe it was running looking at how much oil was in the compressor casing! Interestingly there was hardly any play in the shaft, When I did the other side, it wasn't smoking but rattled about so much the impeller sparked against the housing.

I had to drill out the 3 bearing retaining screws but it has all cleanned up nicely and the turbo seems OK.

Its a Garrett T25, so now with both turbos rebuilt I am thinking of selling them and upgrading to 2 T3s.

Stupidly I bought the repair kit off ebay without seeing where it was being shipped from. It cost £10 for delivery so I thought I would get it quickly, so now I have just got to wait for the repair kit to turn up from the US (yawn) and its taken 3 weeks already!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Everyone
    I am still plodding away at my Zonda inspired replica thing. After taking a right royal beating on another Ferrari website i decided just work on the car and leave the posting alone.
    Sadly the damage done to my car's v12 when it was exported from bahrain back to the UK was quite significant and despite rebuilding the heads and spending WAY TOO much money on it, it still smoked.

So I have now bought a 4.2l Audi V8 to stick in it, I only got the car and engine on Saturday and this is still in the early stages, but its quite a beast of an engine.

I will be going twin turbo on this when its finally bolted into place in the car.

12. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Great stuff, look forward to following the progress again :)

13. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman

Good stuff Nick

F

14. neil-f

neil-f Karting

Feb 6, 2008
    UK
    Need to change thread title to Audi V8!!:)

15. Hole in the ground

Oct 19, 2007
    Nick,

I don't go on the other site, so know nothing of the royal beating - though to be honest I've crossed swords with some of them over there - too many inflated egos i suspect.

Keep the pictures coming though, I cant remember a single derogatory post on this site - must be a nicer bunch of people - and this is one of my most favourite threads ever.

Looking forward to the updates :)

Have fun

Andrew

16. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Amen to that Andrew, there was just one chap who decided to be very rude about everything, but each to their own.

Sadly my Mig died, so i was in limbo for a while. Then on ebay i found a Cebora AKA Snapon mig for £27 with massive co2 cylinder, the chap said it wasnt working because the wire did not feed through. Si i bought it and found a bit of plastic in the swanm i removed it and voila, its awesome!
    cebora 130 amp mig and CO2 cyliber for £27!
    So yesterday I made the engine mounts for the V8. The engine is dead centre and I have buckets of space in front now. I have ordered a CO2 regulator and some mig wire so when that comes later this week I will finish the mounts, exhausts etc..
    Then I have to make a flywheel, there is some debate which flywheel I need, the Audi v8 hqs a 10 bolt crank, the only other engine with 10 bolts is the VR6 but the 10 bolts have a differemt PCD, the 5 cylinder Audi has a 5 bolt crank that some bolts line up on, some have the pilot bearing in the crank, other others in the flywheel, so its going to be a matter of trial and error.
    the GREAT thing about the V8 is its so easy to put in and take out, and its so light compared to te V12.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Watcha Nick!!! :)

I've not been on any forums for a while (long story) ;) so missed some of your updates. Didn't realised the V12 was toast...pity. Good to see you've found a suitable replacement.

I'll keep a closer eye on this thread from now on.

(p.s. check out this months Classic & Sports Car, front cover. They wanted to use my GT4 but I was in France so I got my pal Jonathan to have his car featured)

18. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    hello Mate! it has been a long time. My Dino is off the road at the moment, having a enforced rest. I post most of the stuff now on Mad Mechanics, as it caters for replicas and you can get some good ideas from it. I know its not everyones cuppa tea, but there is some awesome skill on there with some of the chop n'stretch skin jobs. Even some of the scratch build lambos are awesome..

Last night I took the V8 again, i can now take it out in 10 mins. i stripped the bottom end down and fitted the turbo drains, with this engine, I am doing it a bit slower and learning from the mistakes i made with the V12 (RIP).
    I can't post any pics as my subscription has expired, flywheel clutch/subscription..... flywheel wins :)

19. ted 191

ted 191 Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    yorkshire
    Full Name:
    chris heeley

Very rude !

20. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    not a long story its short you are banned from most forums

21. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I guess you and I are just here then... fellow sinner! :D

22. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    i am on cs but they dont know my user name ha ha and believe me its crap and over moderated

23. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Do any of them come on here?

24. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes

25. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    yes they come on here to spy stevew francis tonyh hudson but he has left the control room for some reason

now that 512bbi has gone for about 20 years i think rmdferrari should be given a mods position as he does loads of charity runs/events he will be good on here and get this place going again