250 TDF vs 250 SWB | Page 18 | FerrariChat

250 TDF vs 250 SWB

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275GTBSaran, Jul 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    If you can narrow down the search a bit I may be able to find it.

2. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Issue 86, see my post above posted at the same time you posted yours David.

Onno

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I saw. I do have that copy.

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #430 miurasv, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Actually, I think it's cool that TdF 0585GT was in the "Love Bug" film. When I was a kid I remember just watching the Herbie films whenever they were broadcast on the television just to catch the glimpses of the Ferraris and the other cool cars in them like the Bizzarrini, E Type etc but mainly to see the Ferraris, they looked so fabulous.

So which SWB is seen at 2.08 in the video and pic below?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unXUq2xWT8c&feature=related[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
  7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Ah, top man, Paul. Thanks very much. I should have known you'd have the answer.

8. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Few colours are shown correctly on the internet and then printed out on a desk top printer. However this yellow looks like a pretty good representation of gaillo fly. Compare it with any other yellow and you can't miss the difference. tongascrew

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thank you for your reply, tongascrew.

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #435 miurasv, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  11. Streetrod

Streetrod Karting

Apr 16, 2011
    Cheap compared to recent sales of TDF's. I thought it was not going to hit its reserve

12. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Steve, so curious what the gulling alloy will sell for!
    I say it might cross £2.5m.....

13. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Was it the open headlights that put potential bidders off? I wonder...

14. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Can you believe the Gullwing did not sell at £2.4m without commission. Thats crazy.
    I think owners are asking for too much. Greed is strongly evident. Even the Lusso did not sell at €510'000 bid!

15. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    This could be the start of a long anticipated correction in the classic car market.
    Perhaps we will look back in time at this auction as a defining moment. Curious to hear other opinions!

16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Hmm. Yes, I asked myself the same question. I don't think the colours of the car helped it either but somebody is still paying £2 million GBP plus for this TdF including buyer's premium which is still a huge amount of money. Paint it in more attractive and striking colours and stripes and it may fetch a lot more.

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    You may be right with certain cars coming down and others like the Daytona going up? But it could have just been a great day for the buyer for certain cars. Markets have been known to recede and bounce back even stronger. Only time will tell.

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I watched some of the auction on line and thought that Max Girardo did a great job. A friend, who has been in the classic car trade for many years, was present at the auction thought the same and had high praise for RM as an organisation.

19. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    I agree very much so. Max was very strong even among reluctant bidders and RM has created a strong brand. However one thing has little to do with the other. The market might be softening and a 'low tide will expose all boats no matter how well they are built'.

20. Streetrod

Streetrod Karting

Apr 16, 2011
    I watched the auction last night with a great deal of interest and was surprised that the TDF sold at £1.75m before fees which judging by recent sales looked cheap.

Now when you compare 0585gt that is currently for sale at Talacrest at £4.7m having only been sold a couple of months ago in Monterey for £4.15m, apart from a few seconds viewing in the Love Bug what makes it worth so much more?

I know it’s a more desirable closed headlamp 14 louver model, but does that really justify the huge difference in price?

21. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    14 louvers have always been massively more expensive with race history or not, than one louver open head light. Pretty much twice as much. Whether this particular one will sell at this price ( remember that the previous owner got much less than 4MGBP after you deduct buyer and if applicable seller fee, ) is based on JC skills! But a late open headlight car with work to be done on back ( fenders are way too high I believe) and front does not seem quite correct seem to me to be correctly priced at this level. Best of 1 louver with closed headlights and good race history being close to 3 M Euro.

22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #447 miurasv, Nov 1, 2012
    Now in its original black, here are pictures of the yellow TdF that was in the Top Gear Ferrari Special Video from the nineties when then owned by the Hon. Michael Pearson (Lord Cowdray) (post 420 in this thread). Being from well into 1959 production would this TdF s/n 1353GT have had covered headlights originally? The barchetta link below says so.

I've since found out that a small number of the 1959 cars built for export were ordered with covered headlights. (RM Auctions).

http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/1353GT.250GT.htm

Pictures from conceptcarz.

23. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #448 miurasv, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    The above puts the price achieved for 1335GT into proper perspective then and was on target it seems. Was it a matching numbers car? It would have fetched more also if it was Classiche certified as 0585GT is. From its RM description, the 1959 model is 'muscularly haunched' so this could be how the rear is supposed to be. From the barchetta link below, it has had covered headlights and an incorrectly proportioned rear in its life but this seems to have been corrected in a full restoration in 1985.

Barchetta info: http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/1335GT.250GT.htm

RM description: http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?SaleCode=LF12&CarID=r173&Currency=GBP

24. Streetrod

Streetrod Karting

Apr 16, 2011
    #449 Streetrod, Nov 1, 2012
  25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #450 miurasv, Nov 1, 2012
    Yes, I was discussing this earlier. TdF 0763GT is "under offer" and also sold is the 6 carb 275GTS. The only pre '70s Ferrari they have left listed for sale on their web site is the 365GTC. They must be desperately looking for stock. The market seems to be very buoyant, in Chorleywood at least. It's down to their excellent reputation that they've earned over many years.

http://www.dkeng.co.uk/ferrari-sales/303/Blue_Chip_and_Competition_Cars/Ferrari_250_GT_LWB_Berlinetta_Tour_de_France.html