Foam above radiator | FerrariChat

Foam above radiator

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Valenzo, Nov 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #1 Valenzo, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The foam block above my radiator is gone, in my quest to right all that may be wrong with my Mondial, I'm looking to replace this. Does anyone have a source or has anyone found a suitable material that works?

Ron frohock found replacement foam for our vents, I'm wondering if it would work for this application as well?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 soucorp, Nov 18, 2012
    Hi Ted, I couldnt see anything in your all black car, parts, photo so I had to crack open mine.
    Now I see what your talking about on the foam that goes above the radiator. On mine, there's only 1 side left, the other has blown to dust. The good side when I touch it disintegrates into dust. I guess the heat does not treat the foam well thru the years.
    Finding a heat resistant foam as a replacement would be ideal. I'll look around and report back.

btw, who's the funny looking young chap in your avatar??? lol
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 soucorp, Nov 18, 2012
  4. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    I did the radiator foam about a year and a half ago. Mine completely disintegrated, pretty much before my very eyes. I just bought polyurethane a/c foam at the hardware store, cut it a bit to fit, and applied adhesive to fix it to the underside of the front hood.

If I recall correctly, PV Dirk had done the same thing and I just followed his description from a thread somewhere here...

Might have been this one?

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330789&highlight=radiator+foam

5. mondialmerle

mondialmerle Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Egg Harbor Township,NJ
    Full Name:
    Merle Graham
    I replaced my a couple of years ago with foam I found at my local HVAC supply store. It's 1 inch thick and you buy it by the foot. It's very common stuff and it's a perfect fit. After a couple of years it's like the day I put it in.

6. adamae82

adamae82 Karting

Nov 22, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Al Peralta
    Hi Ted, I replaced mine and I got it from T.Rutlands for less than $50.00. I believe it is an OEM.

7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    The foam in my kit is a material specific for automotive applications. It is stable at temps from - 40C to +85C.
    It has 3M VHB pressure sensitive adhesive on one surface. It may look like a common foam but it is not.
    It comes in various thicknesses and densities. It is also flame retardant.
    If you want to send me the dims and possibly a small sample of what remains of your gasket I will see what I can do. I'm fairly confident that I can help.
    I wish I could get to my car but it is in long term storage and I can't get to it till spring.
    Thanks.
    Ron Frohock

8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Ted,

The specifications of most foam, that is - until we're attacked by "the foam monster from outer space", is pretty much catalogued. I'll guess that if anyone provided a sample of what they were looking for, it could easily be matched.

Ron has been swirling his hand around in a bucket of foam for quite some time now as it is part and parcel of his newest product. I'm sure he can recommend or possibly even supply a piece of foam that would work for you.

Cheers mate,

Hank

9. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Mine is completely gone, only a memory and some residue remains. Somebody would have to send Ron a sample and im sure we could come up with the dimensions somewhere.

Id like nothing more than to have Ron be our source for this in a package form. Lets do this.

10. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Ted, I'll measure mine tomorrow and send both you and Ron those dimensions.

Cheers,

Hankie

11. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Is this also found in the T's? Mine has none and it looks like it was never there...? My radiator top looks completely different than Mike's but like Ted's.

12. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I know i had some because i saw pieces of it when i inspected the car before i purchased. It rapidly disintegrated. Now, all that is left is the glue residue.

So im sure you had some at one time. I doubt it much matters but im slowly bringing my car back to its original state with little improvements here and there, where and when i can. Id like to see that foam there again.

Thank you Hank, you'd be doing us all a favor. I imagine it runs the length of the radiator top but i dont know how thick it was.

13. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ted, my understanding is that this is an important part so if you can get automotive grade foam then get it otherwise hardware foam, which is what I used, works very well.

14. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman

Ricambi has it IIRC. Wasn't expensive and fit perfectly. No cutting. Right size and width.

15. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #15 Valenzo, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    I checked with Daniel and yes he can get the OE from Ferrari (62589900) for $90 but its out of stock and on BO. Id like to get it before the holidays so ill look around for something sooner, and to be honest $90 is a bit steep for 30" of 3" foam.

16. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LoL, I dont think its a big deal to find insulation from Lowes or HomeDepot that you can cut to fit and glue on with 3M adhesive. I'll prob go this route and post the how to.

I wasn't impressed with the OEM that is disintegrating on my car, so why would I put back the same foam? Just a thought.

17. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Yea, im sure im over thinking this. I just want it to look like the original. I need the OE dimensions and ill order the foam from Ron, i like his foam and id like to give back to Ron, HD or Lowes certainly doesnt need more of my money.

18. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I does appear that the T foam will be thinner than the 3.2 from looking at the width of the top radiator. I'll try to get measurements for the 3.2, maybe Ron can find a good solution for all of us.

Cheers

19. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #19 hank sound, Nov 19, 2012
  20. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Hank, does it turn to dust when you touch it like mine does?
    Do describe, but yours look brand new. btw, the variance in radiator between 3.2 and t would not matter as you can see, its the same block of foam.

21. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Bought it at Lowes in the HVAC section and installed with 3M double-sided tape for extreme conditions (the red colored version).
    Works great at cost probably $10 in total.
    Good luck,
    Greg

22. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Mikey,

I replaced the foam about 8 years ago. It still feels very fresh and resilient.

I do see that our radiators are different but if you measure your space allotted for a full piece:) of foam, betcha it's a hair over 25" - like mine.

Cheers,

Hank

23. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Hank, I'll measure mine and post it, pretty sure mine is longer than yours, LoL.

24. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #24 soucorp, Nov 19, 2012
  25. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN